Sep. New kit thread

morten'J

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Wasn't planning on buying another synth, but this popped up on my local auction site, and I couldn't help myself, it was around US$530 in the end..

48285779fullxu6.jpg

Never heard one, but it sure looks interesting, and the minimal info available on the web suggests its a great machine, built by Kawai with ARP parts.

:love:

i love it!!!

mine had osc2 screwed up but even then it was a great synthesizer. Square PWM sounds amazingly good and the filter is great too.

Nice catch!

• Members

Does the driver support two of those? I have one allready and been thinking of getting a couple of MOTU ATP as you can connect them togther to make a single cross routable 16+16 midi interface.

Honestly, I don't know as at the moment, I only use them as a computer-free patchbay. Manual's online - maybe it'll help, though with a quick glance I didn't see the answer to your question.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/om.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=506

EDIT: I hooked up both the UM's to my computer (Windows XP), and it appears that it can handle multiple units. Here is a screen dump from Midi-Ox:

Dual880Pic.jpg

That's about as far as I can check at this point, though - I'm not yet set up for sequencing, etc.

• Members

The Roland archives say that up to 4 can be connected, but the SOS article from Aug 2002 indicates that there was initially a problem with WinXP handling that - 98 and 2000 were fine, but not XP. Perhaps they fixed that, based on what I'm seeing. But again, I have not tried fully doing what you want to do, Khaz.

• Members

i love it!!!

mine had osc2 screwed up but even then it was a great synthesizer. Square PWM sounds amazingly good and the filter is great too.

Nice catch!

Mine had a couple of scratchy pots on the filterbank section, which have become clean after 20 full turns or so, now everything works perfectly, and there are no issues.

This synth has actually exceeded my expectations, it sounds fantastic!! I love that it has cross-mod / ring-mod and pink noise. The fixed filterbank is really cool sounding too. I'll try to post some demos when I get round to it.

• Members

Just got hold of a couple of second hand outboard boxes that I have been after for ages off some guy whos flogging off all his hardware :)

dbx 1066 gate/compressor/limiter - very useful insert and program compressor - great for shaping drums tracks and gentle mix pumping
SPL Charisma 8 - 8 channels of gentle to grimey tube abuse - great for subtle warming

Studio7-200907.jpg

• Members

My memtron has come today!

First impressions - well for one thing the build quality and finish on this is like nothing i've ever seen before... i thought some of the older korg gear i've owned was robust, but this is built to survive ww3, weighs in around 20lbs, not sure what the finish is but it's uber white and uber shiny!

The sounds i've hear from it so far are pretty good... the 'vintage' sample cd it comes with is pretty limited (i still have the 'berlin school' one to play with later) but some of the classic sounds on there are hot.

If i get chance through the day, i'll put a few short demos up later on...

• Members

A lot! Though i think with it being german(?) made, it works out about the same in the US as the UK (which is to say, much more expensive than most gear in the US)

If you're interested, pm me and i can let you know the guy in germany i got it from, he did me as nice a price as you're ever going to get on one for now.

I've opened a new thread for the try out sounds...

• Members

First impressions - well for one thing the build quality and finish on this is like nothing i've ever seen before... i thought some of the older korg gear i've owned was robust, but this is built to survive ww3, weighs in around 20lbs, not sure what the finish is but it's uber white and uber shiny!

i'm really interested to know how this thing turns out for you. that's a lot of money to pay for a sampler, no matter what the form factor - but it is a cool machine and i'd like to see it be worthwhile for someone!

• Members
The Roland archives say that up to 4 can be connected, but the SOS article from Aug 2002 indicates that there was initially a problem with WinXP handling that - 98 and 2000 were fine, but not XP. Perhaps they fixed that, based on what I'm seeing. But again, I have not tried fully doing what you want to do, Khaz.

OK thanks - may have to look out for another then, though the MOTU AVTP USB are starting to come up second hand quite cheap, so tempted to get a pair and make use of the cross box routing.

I do like the ease of use of the UM-880 though - and its midi control through its control port is very handy for storing patches in a DAW for project load midi routing recall :)

Archived