I'm Fat.

seifukusha

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most breads, whether they say "whole wheat" or not are usually garbage. Just like most products in an average American grocery store, they are allowed to put whatever hype they want on a product. Read labels.

This is one of the actually healthy breads! Look for "sprouted grain"

ezekiel-bread.jpg

• Members

I just found out at the Docs office yesterday that I've lost 20 lbs. over the last 6 months.

I attribute it to attending/playing a lot of music festivals that require a dickton of walking over 3-4 days and starting to ride a bicycle again. I only ride about 3-4 miles every other day but it's fun. I ride to work when I don't have to meet customers.

• Members

For years I was 191 and could not get any lower. I was eating right and exercising. After radiation for tonsil cancer I lost the dreaded 16 pounds, now I'm 175. Getting radiated to loose weight is the most expensive weight reduction plan on the planet. :)

• Members

Ok, guys, this HIIT stuff looks really interesting. I've seen it before, but didn't really look into it. Any good books out there w/ workouts, diet plans etc?

HIIT is great stuff, nothing better, if you can hack it. Not exactly for the exercise shy though. It will really kick you ass.

The benefits are great though, compared to regular aerobic exercise.

• Members

Most overweight people eat unhealthy.

Eat good 'n healthy 'n natural stuff you like, in moderation, at good times (not 2 AM) for one week. Take some multi-vitamins daily. If you don't feel 100% better after that week (and you'll probably shave a few pounds, even without doing some exercise)...you are a freak.

Results = initiative. Go do it!

• Members

I've heard that it's not so good to take multivitamins until you are way older. Why? I've heard that the body gets used to getting vitamins from the pill instead of extracting them from foods.

I will look into that. For myself, I do not eat very much. I started taking a couple Centrum daily and felt a difference the next day.

• Members

I exercised regularly for quite awhile but ever since I had my appendix taken out I've had a hard time getting back into it. I stopped for about a month and now I'm not consistent. I might work out 4 days this week and then flake the next. I'm 6'2 and 206... Which is about as heavy as I have ever been.

• Members

I do not eat very much.

Why not?

By the average American standards, I don't eat a lot of food. I don't eat til I'm about to explode - every meal. I understanding portioning a bit better nowadays and the benefits of eating many smaller snacky-meals!

• Members

Its not that complicated really.

cut out processed foods
(fast food, pizza, hot pockets, fried chips, microwave dinners, etc.)

cut out sugar
(cake, ice cream, soda, powerade, candy bars, sunny d, tropical punch, etc.)

eat plenty of protein
(tuna, chicken, steak, beef, eggs, and other meats)

eat plenty of fiber
(broccoli, cauliflower, Fiber One cereal, and other vegetables)

eat some fat
, fat in foods doesn't mean you'll get fat (nuts, fish, pork, real butter)

get plenty of sleep

Try to stick with whole grain foods. If you're choosing between white and wheat, pick wheat

Don't just eat two meals a day. The more meals you can eat, the better. Try to eat your 3 meals a day with snacks in between and after. You'll notice you eat far less when you're eating all day long. granola bars, bananas, fruits, protein shakes, nuts, and a whole lot more make great snacks. Try to eat something every 2-3 hours, even if it is just a few peanuts.

The only liquid you'll ever need is water!
Don't believe the hype, there is nothing better about energy drinks or "advanced" water. Cut out or cut back on coffee, soda (yes, even if its diet), fruit drinks, etc. Most of those energy drinks are just water mixed with sugar and some other {censored}.

Get active
! You don't have to train for marathons or play sports but simply getting on your feet for a few hours a day will make a huge difference. Walking is good for you and easy too.

When I think of immediate results I think of anaerobic exercises. If you do push-ups or pull ups you look and feel better,
immediately
. There is no food you can eat that will make you look better within 5 minutes.

I've never taken formal yoga instruction but I've done a {censored}load of stretching. I feel better after a good full body stretch than any other kind of physical exercise. Possibly the best "feel good" type of exercise there is

More than likely, if you just start walking for 30 minutes a day and cutting out some of the {censored} you'll get some decent results and feel better. Just don't do any kind of a calorie limiting diet. If you make a conscious effort to eat less you'll {censored} up your metabolism and you
will
be fatter than ever whenever your metabolism catches up with your diet.

On the weights, if you choose to do push ups, sit ups, or lift at all do it right. Use proper technique and listen to your body. If your shoulder hurts rehab the thing. If your knee hurts, don't run on it. Almost everyone has to rehab something at one point in time or another.

More on anaerobic exercises. If you start doing push ups try to crank out as many as you can in a 10 minute period and don't do any more for a few days. The goal here is to shock your system. Muscle builds when you rest. If you don't allow your muscles to rest in between exercises you'll not reap the benefits. Your muscles won't grow.

This is really the best advice in the thread. This is exactly the approach Weight Watchers espouses. It's not about depriving yourself, it's about making better choices.

One thing that is crucial, Seifu, if that you're gonna have to learn how to cook. If you don't you always be relying on processed food or eating out, and both are basically pitfalls if you're trying to lose weight.

• Members
35cgd9x.jpg

Your bible.

Seriously, I'm only on chapter 5, and I'm pretty much in love. I'm a strict vegetarian and I know by the end of this book, I'll become a vegan. You don't have to of course, but it's pretty much the best "diet" book out there.

• Members

i think you can only get soo skinny. Ive weighted about 185 for 4 years now.

That being said im more lean now with muscle then i was 4 years ago so i just toned up. I ran and just did various cardio and did light weight lifting.

I still eat what i want but if you want a six pack then dont. My stomachs flat so i could careless.

But now i havent been exercising lately due to i got a bad case of runners knee and shin splints. i had to cut back on the running a lot. Went from running 5 days a week to like 2 days a week.

Also it just seems to happen with older people, they have jobs that are demanding and kids to take care of, and a wife perhaps...it happens.

• Members

Exercise is helpful but if you make bad food choices, it's almost worthless for weight loss.

It takes an hour of running to burn 300 calories.

Just one Big Mac has 300 calories (and most people get the fries, Coke etc).

Eat less high calorie foods (cheese, etc), eat lots of vegetables, and drink water. Don't get any calories from beverages, if possible. They don't fill you up/satisfy you, the way getting calories from solid food does.

You don't have to go to the gym or play sports, but it's helpful to do something to move your body... gardening, jumping around with your guitar, running from the police, etc.

• Members

It takes an hour of running to burn 300 calories.

I beg to differ with this point but agree with all your others.

Depends on how much work your doing. Maybe an hour for walking but not an hour for running. And the more you weigh the more you burn.

You could easily burn 800 or so cals if you run at a decent speed (like 7.5,tredmill) for an hour or so. Youll probably burn more if you dont run on a tredmill as it takes more effort when running on streets.

• Members

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm "overweight", but not obese. I've been losing weight lately just by watching what I eat and playing Basketball everyday.

I don't trust those BMI things. They don't take in all the info, they just register your generall bosy mass...you cna be all muscle and it'll say overwieght.

I just want to get down to my "healthy" wieght for my height, and maybe get a little slimmer around my stomach.

Archived