I'm Fat.

seifukusha

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This probably won't work. You'll get burned out on eating the same thing all the time and you'll just freak out one day and run to Burger King. It's better to do a complete overhaul of your diet and start replacing all your meals with a variety of healthy choices.

It's really all in the sauce, if you have enough MSG, your body will last out longer. MSG is the chemical bond generally known for causing something to be "delicious". This is what was discovered that helped people survive hundreds of years ago when stews were commonplace in the poorer families. Soaking an animal bone in broth creates mass amounts of MSG with the marrow.

The food that is practically synonymous with MSG is salt... and lord knows we never tire of that.

• Members

It's really all in the sauce, if you have enough MSG, your body will last out longer. MSG is the chemical bond generally known for causing something to be "delicious". This is what was discovered that helped people survive hundreds of years ago when stews were commonplace in the poorer families. Soaking an animal bone in broth creates mass amounts of MSG with the marrow.

The food that is practically synonymous with MSG is salt... and lord knows we never tire of that.

so you really believe eating vegan spaghetti 3 times a day, every day, for months on end is a sound diet plan?

• Members

so you really believe eating vegan spaghetti 3 times a day, every day, for months on end is a sound diet plan?

Throw in some fruits and vegetables and certainly. We aren't unicorns... Basic carbohydrates and water are the basis for 99% of mammals.

The whole wheat and vegetables have all the protein you will ever need. Maybe add some fish here and there if you prefer or want to be "optimal", but the lack of it won't devastate your body.

Sometimes people forget that biologically speaking we are only primates... Our stomach works almost identically to that of the other great apes... and what do they eat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primates#Diet_and_feeding

EDIT: Your reply will be your 44,000th post :)

• Members
Get into rock climbing! I recently did that, and have gained 15 pounds in 3 months (of muscle). But I'm sure that if you had a few extra pounds, you would lose those at the same time as gaining muscle.

rock climbing rocks, man.
:cool:

{censored} YES.

I love climbing. My family is currently building a house, and we're putting a 28ft rockwall in. My Dad designed the house plan himself, and we ended up with room to put a full rockwall in. We got a ton of rock holds a while back at REI on clearance for cheap. We'll still need more to finish the wall, but we have a really good start.

We've rock climbed for years, and have plenty of gear for it. It's a great source of exercise, and seriously makes you strong without bizarre muscle growth.

Join a climbing gym and start going regularly. It's not really that much money, and it's a ton of fun - especially with friends.

:thu:

• Members
Throw in some fruits and vegetables and certainly. We aren't unicorns... Basic carbohydrates and water are the basis for 99% of mammals.

The whole wheat and vegetables have all the protein you will ever need. Maybe add some fish here and there if you prefer or want to be "optimal", but the lack of it won't devastate your body.

Sometimes people forget that biologically speaking we are only primates... Our stomach works almost identically to that of the other great apes... and what do they eat?

EDIT: Your reply will be your 44,000th post
:)

Maybe our stomachs are just like primates, but our brains are definitely way more advanced than primates and we can get bored very quickly. I just can't imagine someone sticking with a diet plan in which you eat basically the same thing every day. One of the most important ways to "trick" your brain and body into thinking it's not on a diet and keeping food exciting is by offering it a diverse choice of food options. Hey, but whatever works for you. :idk:

• Members

thanks all. well, im in my new job, and im surrounded by restaurants now (i live in the heart of the city). im 3-cornered by restaurants. luckily, theyre asian foods which are better than fast foods, so. I have a good sandwich/salad shop behind me now, and i drink black coffees (no sugar) alot, so that good. I dont eat at home save breakfast (cereal/lowfat milk/fruit bananas lately). I cant cook. I dont have a stove yet, but even if i did, its easier for me to walk out my front door. i mean its 5 steps in front of me! hehe.

food isnt the biggest problem, its the lack of motivation in exercise! i think i eat better than alot of people, but since im not moving myself alot, thats hurting me. I have the time, and now im looking for the motivation, see?

my buddy said its probabkly cause i hate sweating. he said some people are like that. hmmm.

• Members

The suggestion about eating more through the day is a great idea

- people make poor eating decisions when they very hungry and then they want something FAST. Fast often means poor food decisions - fast food, etc. If you graze (on healthy foods) throughout the day you will not be looking for the 'quick fix' and more thought and take more time preparing smart meals.

- Some suggest that if you start to eat less, your body will start storing food as fat with the thought that another meal wont be coming for a while. Just like animals that fatten up for hybernation.....not sure the truth of this but perhaps...

Excercise is important.....weights AND cardio. Just know that muscle is heavier than fat so if you do a lot of weights and you gain muscle, it may seam like you're not losing much weight on the scale...look at your body in the mirror too. The other poster that suggests the best motivation is results is very correct...unfortunately you need to find motivation to get from the beginning to the time you start seeing the results..which can take some time.

Good luck!

• Members
Maybe our stomachs are just like primates, but our brains are definitely way more advanced than primates and we can get bored very quickly. I just can't imagine someone sticking with a diet plan in which you eat basically the same thing every day. One of the most important ways to "trick" your brain and body into thinking it's not on a diet and keeping food exciting is by offering it a diverse choice of food options. Hey, but whatever works for you.
:idk:

Yeah...I can't imagine eating spaghetti with marinara sauce all day every day. It would get old, and fast.

That's not the only healthy food. There are plenty of good things to eat...There's no reason why you couldn't change it up. :idk:

• Members
Maybe our stomachs are just like primates, but our brains are definitely way more advanced than primates and we can get bored very quickly. I just can't imagine someone sticking with a diet plan in which you eat basically the same thing every day. One of the most important ways to "trick" your brain and body into thinking it's not on a diet and keeping food exciting is by offering it a diverse choice of food options. Hey, but whatever works for you.
:idk:

Yea, different strokes for different folks I guess. I suppose I look at it in the way that if you were on welfare, your body wouldn't naturally be craving pedals and "superfluous" items because it would be tasked with the day to day activities. I tend to perceive food in the same way... I see it as low priority. As fuel, nothing more. I understand that it is "tasty", but I also realize that it is only so that our body will decipher nutrition from specific foods that are best metabolized by our bodies. I guess you could say I take a very buddhist approach towards my diet.

It definitely takes a mental shift... a reworking of your perception of what food is in the first place... and I wouldn't say I'm generally "happier" (I've been vegan for about 7 years now, and you generally loose that feeling of "being healthy" relatively quickly), I would just say that I am thinner... some would argue too thin.

• Members

my buddy said its probabkly cause i hate sweating. he said some people are like that. hmmm.

Then find a pool or body of water and start swimming. SOme of the best exercise you can do, really. Plus your soaking wet and won't notice sweat!

• Members

EDIT: Your reply will be your 44,000th post
:)

No whole wheat and vegetables do not provide all the protein you need. And that link you provided shows how primates also eat insects, birds, eggs, invertebrates of all types.

So basically, you cited something that disproves your idea.

I am not anti-vegan, but going vegan isn't necessarily going healthy. I know many unhealthy vegans as they still eat like {censored}. I know many healthy omnivores who love bacon and cheese but do so in moderation and with the backup for excercise.

• Members

There are little things you can do...

quit eating fried foods (burgers, chips, fries, bacon, ...you know)

drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water every day (if you weigh 200lbs, drink 100 oz's of water, same as five 20 oz bottles, not hard to do)

stop drinking sugar filled soda/soft drinks

dont eat after 8:00 p.m.

try to eat at least one salad either for lunch or dinner

if you drink beer, dont eat AND drink beer

• Members

eat one meal a day

I'm not sure if this is actual advice or just a Robopimp advice post, but I actually found this quite helpful. I was a pudgy little son of a gun, so I stopped eating so much damn food. Simple as that. I don't know how much you eat in a day, but calorie counting can help.

I'm a lot healthier now than I was, so I'll offer a second idea, which is what I do now. Have a small bowl of cereal (whole grain) for breakfast with lowfat milk. For lunch, you're technically supposed to eat more than dinner (although I rarely do), I suggest if you're gonna give yourself any leeway to do it here. Then for dinner, have something largely vegetable. Of course, eat fruits and vegetables for snacks, and get out and exercise, even if it's just a short walk. I found that doing crunches, pushups, those side-pushup things helped me at least feel like my changes were noticable.

Make sure to drink water before you eat a meal. Often times hunger is just dehydration, and you need water not food.

Granted I was still young and growing, and that helped a lot, but yeah, just eat healthy, eat the right amount of calories, and exercise.

• Members

Even a 20 minute walk first thing in the morning will fire up your metabolism, although more is obviously better. Doing you cardio first thing in the morning really works, helping you to burn more and feel more energized throughout the day.

If you can do some form of cardio first thing in the morning and then some sort of resistance/weight training before bed you will see results quickly, and that will fire you up to keep going.

There is no doubt that getting started is a {censored}ter, but it's worth it when it starts to work.

• Members

My advice is learn how to cook properly so that you can make healthy AND tasty things.

+3578253

I'm not against vegans either, and I admire/respect vegans who chose to be for political reasons (treatment of farm animals, etc), but staying vegan is hard to do. I was for a few weeks at one point (you know, to try it out) and vegetarian for over a year. now I do eat meat but my tiem as a veggie taught me how to cook and eat properly. doesnt mean I dont treat myself with a greasy cheeseburger or pizza a couple times a month, or a chocolate bar a couple times a week, but its not THAT daunting when you know how you gotta do it.

• Members

I feel your pain dude. I live in Philly but don't have a car, so it is nearly impossible for me to grocery shop. I do have a bike, but I can only fit so much in my backpack, and working 9-5 puts me out of the reach of a lot of local shops (not that there are many, if any, where I live). This makes it really hard for me to cook at home, or eat healthy, because I'm eating out literally 3 times a day. I rarely spend more than $12-13 a day, but that's still more than I would spend on home cooking. I may finally be getting a vehicle this weekend, and I can't wait to go grocery shopping. Cooking at home with non-processed food, especially stuff you can put in Tupperware and refrigerate and eat every other day, or mix up, is great.

My metabolism is horrible. Last winter I barely exercised, but my weight held semi-steady. However, after a two week vacation at my parents' house over Xmas, my weight ballooned up and I was hideous looking, despite lifting weights and doing light exercise every day to try and fight it off, the temptation of cheap beer and good home cooking was quite bad for me.

I'm not a big exerciser either - a few years ago I lost 60 lbs on the Atkin's diet and was at my skinniest ever, but probably not very healthy. I was militant about it and ended up actually burning off muscle near the end, making me look quite haggard. I've gained 4 inches back on my waist since then, up to size 40 pants. I'm a big dude, and honestly, I probably couldn't wear 36's all my life - slightly loose/comfortable 38's is where I should be, at least as I can tell about feeling and looking good.

All that aside, it is harder than it seems. Just try small steps - if you order out, don't eat it all at once. Even splitting up a meal a few hours apart will help your metabolism. When you're going out, avoid fried and processed stuff at all costs - you don't have to eat salads every day, but skip the fries, the mayo on the burger, the bad dressings/toppings/dips, etc. Try and walk more - I ride my bike every day to work, but I still think walking helps a little more because my body is so used to the distance at this point. I personally can't jog because it really hurts my knees, which aren't great after an entire k-12 of playing football and basketball. (Yes, I've tried nice shoes and different surfaces and every running trick in the book, and I just don't like it).

Just small steps man. Even the littlest results make me feel better about what I'm doing, like seeing my gut go down just a fraction, feeling a little more perky the morning after a good eating/biking day, my pants getting the tiniest bit looser. Yeah, half the time these gains are erased over a weekend of drinking and binging, but I'm trying, slowly but surely.

• Members

I'm not sure if this is actual advice or just a Robopimp advice post

RoboPimp advice is always good advice

It doesn't matter when you eat, how much you eat, how many meals you break it up into or how much water you drink (NO medical support for drinking X amount of water daily - it's a myth)

You eat less food you lose weight.

• Members

Can't argue with bias.

It isn't biased. You are basically touting your vegan spaghetti diet as the best way to lose weight and anyone who cannot do it is weak. Most people don't want to do that because we want to diet and be healthy so we CAN eat a pepperoni and sausage pizza and not feel terrible.

Being vegan is just a different way of eating, and is in no way shape or form healthier than not being vegan. It comes down to cutting down fats, salt, and the bad carbs while still getting the proteins, fiber, good carbs, and other vitamins you need.

You can do that being a vegan or a vegetarian or being a full blown meat eater. It comes down to proportions and balance. You are saying I am biased against your way while you are completely biased against any other way. IMO the easiest way to lose weight is eat healthy AND tasty while excercising AND having fun.

Some people like to enjoy flavors when eating and I have found that cooking good tasting and diverse tasting things can keep a diet fresh and exciting.

Archived