I'm Fat.

seifukusha

• Members
Runner's knee is an injury (a muscle/fascia inflammation vs. degenerative changes in bone). Yes if you overtrain, run in bad shoes, etc, etc. of course you can injure yourself.
But
if you lay off and allow yourself to heal and then learn from the experience ... you will not have arthritis/knee replacement later in life due to runner's knee.

if you smoke cigarettes you might not get lung cancer either. :facepalm:

most of the people I know who run have had foot, knee, hip problems...

sure you might find internet studies that say it doesn't happen but it's common sense really.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
if you smoke cigarettes you might not get lung cancer either.
:facepalm:

most of the people I know who run have had foot, knee, hip problems...

sure you might find internet studies that say it doesn't happen but it's common sense really.

I didn't say runners never get injured. Good runners that are in it for the long haul almost always have good/corrected form and don't overtrain. If they get injured they seek appropriate treatment and give themselves time to heal. They don't end up with arthritis and joint replacements. I know plenty of runners in their 60's who can still do 30 miles per week and have never had chronic knee/foot/hip problems. Are these people you know lifelong runners? How old are they? How do they train? Do they have good form? I'm willing to bet I know a few more runners than you.

Sorry dude ... this is a myth that is accepted by the general public because it "makes sense." It isn't now nor has it ever been proven to be the case and all the research points to exactly the opposite. Your body/joints compensate, and in fact become stronger, due to running.

• Members

I didn't say runners never get injured. Good runners that are in it for the long haul almost always have good/corrected form and don't overtrain. If they get injured they seek appropriate treatment and give themselves time to heal. They
don't
end up with arthritis and joint replacements. I know plenty of runners in their 60's who can still do 30 miles per week and have never had chronic knee/foot/hip problems. Are these people you know lifelong runners? How old are they? How do they train? Do they have good form? I'm willing to bet I know a few more runners than you.

Sorry dude ... this is a
myth
that is accepted by the general public because it "makes sense." It isn't now nor has it ever been proven to be the case and all the research points to exactly the opposite. Your body/joints compensate, and in fact become stronger, due to running.

Just like how noobs in the gym are afraid of doing squats/deadlifts because it might hurt their back, when in reality there is nothing better for strengthening your back and preventing injury. Only doing it wrong is going to hurt you.

• Members

I didn't say runners never get injured.

right, so if you've been running all your life, had training on how to run, proper technique and all that you might be fine but it's a LOT easier for someone to decide they want to lose weight, start running and ruin their knees. Hence the reason why I wouldn't suggest it to anyone just looking to lose weight such as the OP. Many better, less dangerous ways to go about it.

• Members

right, so if you've been running all your life, had training on how to run, proper technique and all that you might be fine but it's a LOT easier for someone to decide they want to lose weight, start running and ruin their knees. Hence the reason why I wouldn't suggest it to anyone just looking to lose weight such as the OP. Many better, less dangerous ways to go about it.

Christ, if you're that worried about the impact on your knees or other possible injuries, hop on an elliptical machine.

• Members

Dude, you're cool w/ me and I don't mind the debate but I don't think you should discourage people from taking up exercise in any form. These comments you are making just simply aren't true. It's really easy to get into running without injuring yourself. All you need to do is get your gait analyzed and buy some proper shoes. One hour of prep and $100, max. If anything, fatigue and soreness from running prevent chronic injury by discouraging overuse. Runners (even new ones) are not more prone to injury than other atheletes. You can just as easily be injured by biking, lifting, skating, playing soccer, etc. etc. etc.

• Members

I'm probably in worse shape than most anyone here: 5'10", 250lbs. The last few months, I've been trying to develop better eating habits: less crap, no late night eating, water instead of pop... thet kind of stuff. While it is a good start to the plan, it's like sandbagging your house against a flood: Less water gets into your yard, but the water that's already there doesn't magically disappear.

At the end of July, I finally broke down and committed to hitting the weight/fitness room at the local rec center every day in August. Every day, no exceptions, no excuses. Haven't missed one yet, and I'm not going to. I'm staying away from the scale for the time being.

So if you want to do it, get out and do it.

• Members

I'm probably in worse shape than most anyone here: 5'10", 250lbs. The last few months, I've been trying to develop better eating habits: less crap, no late night eating, water instead of pop... thet kind of stuff. While it is a good start to the plan, it's like sandbagging your house against a flood: Less water gets into your yard, but the water that's already there doesn't magically disappear.

At the end of July, I finally broke down and committed to hitting the weight/fitness room at the local rec center every day in August. Every day, no exceptions, no excuses. Haven't missed one yet, and I'm not going to. I'm staying away from the scale for the time being.

So if you want to do it, get out and do it.

Uh huh, huh, you called soda, "pop". You're either from Western NY or Wisconsin.

• Members
Other side of the country. And a different country.
:p

Ca-Na-Duh.
:D

And whatever you call it, I'm still trying to keep from drinking it.

I didn't know you canucks called it that, lol. But good for you man! Everyday at the gym... :thu:

Archived