I'm Fat.

seifukusha

• Members
HIIT is great stuff, nothing better, if you can hack it. Not exactly for the exercise shy though. It will really kick you ass.

The benefits are great though, compared to regular aerobic exercise.

It looks like it's right up my alley. I used to take Kung Fu and I loved it - the workouts totally kicked my ass, but I loved the feeling of being pushed that hard and then the way you felt after a workout. I'd say that was pretty much the impetus to the big weight loss I had back in the day. I belong to a gym, and I'm at a point now where I'd pay for some personal training to get me started, but I'm wondering what books are out there that explain HIIT, offer some basic workouts and even diet stuff (even though I pretty much know all that - just don't like to follow it all lately :facepalm:)

I'll spend the next few weeks getting back to some form of 'baseline' fitness so I can get into some HIIT w/ out killing myself.

Thanks for any info.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm teetering on the edge of obese, have been for a long time now... My biggest issue that makes being healthy hard, I think, is that I work so early in the morning every day. This means that a) I don't get much sleep, b) I'm in front of a computer for eight hours a day minimum, and c) I am completely bushed by the time I get off work at 2pm. Then I generally have a band practice or something to go to, and that's pretty much my day... It's hard to keep slim in that case.

My other problem, of course, is how I'm built. I'm only 5'10 and have a 20 inch neck. I'm always going to be a thick dude, that's just how it is... So it's hard to run, etc, with my short little legs and all that weight slamming my joints.

It doesn't bother me too much, as I'm not terribly bad looking, people like me, and I still fit in my car just fine... But sooner or later I'm going to have some heart trouble or something - so I've been considering changing things up. It doesn't help that my girlfriend (who is annoyingly skinny) is a very unhealthy eater, and shows no sign of change.

Anyway, I'll I'm saying is, I totally understand the OP and his issue.

....And I don't agree with BMI indexes either - They have told me that I should be dead since I was about 12 :D

• Members

This is dumb. He wants to lose weight not eat {censored}ty food 6 times a day for the rest of his life.

My advice is learn how to cook properly so that you can make healthy AND tasty things. You know everything that goes in, you can cut out fat, and you can control portion size. Diets are easier when the food is good. Switching to vegan spaghetti only diet is like going from no excercise to marathon running in one day, stupid and most likely overwhelming.

No whole wheat and vegetables do not provide all the protein you need. And that link you provided shows how primates also eat insects, birds, eggs, invertebrates of all types.

So basically, you cited something that disproves your idea.

I am not anti-vegan, but going vegan isn't necessarily going healthy. I know many unhealthy vegans as they still eat like {censored}. I know many healthy omnivores who love bacon and cheese but do so in moderation and with the backup for excercise.

Veganism is an extreme diet. Extreme diets never work. My advice to the poster:

Get a stove. Learn to cook. Its not hard in reality. Get a cookbook, and try a recipe. Or even go online and try a recipe. Buy really good, fresh ingredients and cook something. Its more intimidating then hard. Once you make a couple of good meals, it wont be intimidating anymore. And the food will taste better then anything you can get for takeout.

You also need to decide whether you hate excercise more then you hate being fat. Starting this thread is an indicator that you do. Now realize that if you do nothing, then nothing will change. That should be motivation enough.

Your body WANTS to work. Thats what it is designed for. Once you stop going to the gym or moving at all, it is very difficult to get going, but in the long run, even in the near term, your body will feel better then ever. You have to break through the initial barrier. But you will. Just get out and do something. Every day. And make it fun. Go walk to see something cool for an hour. Thats a start. Do that every day. Then do something different. In a couple of weeks you should feel different. Then take it up a notch. Go for a run. Then a longer run. Then a bike ride. Then join a gym. Its all about just making it happen.

Eat lots thoughout the day, but eat natural foods. Limit carbs and fat. Your body was designed for vegetables, fruits and meats. So eat those. Processed foods and artificial foods (like sodas) are the worst things you can put in your body.

• Members

yeah you keep running, each knee they replace helps you lose at least a lb or two.

Fail. Completely false based on all the medical research that's been done. The extra muscle actually prevents wear on your joints. Here's an example ... this study was just updated. Absolutely no difference between the runners and non-runners w/ regard to degenerative change in joints/arthritis. 2nd to last paragraph.

Runners Study

• Members
Veganism is an extreme diet. Extreme diets never work.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Veganism is 'extreme' to some people. But, it is NOT an Extreme diet when followed in a healthy manner. The yahoo who suggested a diet of wheat noodles does not represent a comprehensive Vegan diet of grains, greens, fruits, veggies, soy, etc.

I've met plenty of very healthy Vegans. 2 of my best friends are Vegan and I used to live w/ one of them. We used to make some pretty kick ass meals that were delicious and healthy.

Your other advice about getting a cookbook and stuff is good, but if you knew anything about Veganism, you'd speak a little more open minded about it.

• Members

It takes an hour of running to burn 300 calories.

Just one Big Mac has 300 calories (and most people get the fries, Coke etc).

Only if you run 1 mile in 20 minutes. Most people will burn approx. 100 calories per mile (some people can burn more) regardless of how fast that mile is covered. I burn 300 calories in approx. 25 minutes.

Also, a Big Mac has about 540 calories.

• Members

Only if you run 1 mile in 20 minutes. Most people will burn approx. 100 calories per mile (some people can burn more) regardless of how fast that mile is covered. I burn 300 calories in about 25 minutes.

Also, a Big Mac has about 540 calories.

And I would add that a consistent running regimen also increases your basal metabolism. IOW, if you're a runner, you burn more calories just sitting around than a couch potato.

• Members

I do yoga and its hard, but i feel so good afterward..

I think the key to your success is having a good support system from the GF, Friends and Family.. Thats where it all starts..

No support = No modivation = Nothing getting done.

I would recommend finding a buddy so that you can keep each other juiced about getting in shape and push each other when needed..

Also whats been said a zillion times in this thread, drink lots of water and be aware of what you eat..

We're all here to help :wave:

• Members

The "drink tons of water" thing is a myth. You're body knows how to regulate how much water it needs, and it does so by making you feel thirsty. Drinking excessive water just makes you piss a lot.

Yeah, I just read this somewhere as well.

• Members
It looks like it's right up my alley. I used to take Kung Fu and I loved it - the workouts totally kicked my ass, but I loved the feeling of being pushed that hard and then the way you felt after a workout. I'd say that was pretty much the impetus to the big weight loss I had back in the day. I belong to a gym, and I'm at a point now where I'd pay for some personal training to get me started, but I'm wondering what books are out there that explain HIIT, offer some basic workouts and even diet stuff (even though I pretty much know all that - just don't like to follow it all lately
:facepalm:
)

I'll spend the next few weeks getting back to some form of 'baseline' fitness so I can get into some HIIT w/ out killing myself.

Thanks for any info.

Save your money and don't buy the books. Just head over to the Men's Health forum. Lot's of really great advice and workouts posted there. A tonne of info on HIIT. Just don't read the magazine, only the forum.

• Members
Save your money and don't buy the books. Just head over to the Men's Health forum. Lot's of really great advice and workouts posted there. A tonne of info on HIIT. Just don't read the magazine, only the forum.

:thu:

• Members

Veganism is 'extreme' to some people. But, it is NOT an Extreme diet when followed in a healthy manner. The yahoo who suggested a diet of wheat noodles does not represent a comprehensive Vegan diet of grains, greens, fruits, veggies, soy, etc.

I've met plenty of very healthy Vegans. 2 of my best friends are Vegan and I used to live w/ one of them. We used to make some pretty kick ass meals that were delicious and healthy.

Your other advice about getting a cookbook and stuff is good, but if you knew anything about Veganism, you'd speak a little more open minded about it.

I lived with a vegan for a year and a half. I know all about it.

Any lifestyle based upon cutting out all animal products, regardless of derivation or use is extreme by definition. Besides, animal proteins contain more complete essential amino acids. We are build to eat animal protein.

While I've had some tasty vegan food, I would not reccommend the lifestyle to anyone. Cut out fish? Cut out veal? foi gras? {censored} that. Limit yourself to vegan only restaurants? No way. To turn your back on nearly the entire development of cuisine for the last several thousand years can only mean you don't like food.

I love food. But you have to keep it in balance. Small portions of very high quality, organic, natural foods. Cooked skillfully and creatively. Washed down with water and a nice glass of wine. And when you wake up in the morning you go for a run and do some yoga, and have a great day.

THAT is a lifestyle. And it keeps you looking good too.

• Members

Besides, animal proteins contain more complete essential amino acids.

AFAIK, it is completely possible to get all your aminos w/ a Vegan diet. But I'll have to respectfully disagree w/ eating veal and fois gras, but to each his own.

I'm sure you're a healthy dude. IMHO the only thing extreme about veganism is the choice of an animal free diet and lifestyle. Extreme is one word to choose, but it's different than say eating one meal a day - that's extreme to me.

• Members

i dunno man, it's hard to say... a certain degree of self-consciousness is good. i gained a ton of weight over the winter, and it is hard to keep in shape with my lifestyle (which essentially involves sitting in one place and drawing for 8 or so hours a day). eventually i got disgusted enough with myself to shell out the money for a bicycle. i started just using it to ride to work, which was painful, but i slept better and felt like i was doing something at least. as i got stronger and the riding was easier, i got encouraged and started doing it more. i've lost 20 some pounds since the winter, and it really helps battle the occasional blues to just go out and hammer on your body. if you're anything like me you spend the vast majority of the time in your head. :shrug:

• Members

right, is there a reason they call it "runner's knee" then?

Runner's knee is an injury (a muscle/fascia inflammation or damage to cartliage vs. degenerative changes in bone). Yes if you overtrain, run in bad shoes, etc, etc. of course you can injure yourself. But if you lay off and allow yourself to heal and then learn from the experience ... you will not have arthritis/knee replacement later in life due to runner's knee.

I don't generally recommend using wikipedia for health info but this article is pretty good.

runner's knee

"The condition may result from acute injury to the patella or from chronic friction between the patella and the groove in the femur through which it passes during motion of the knee."

This would be the result of bad, bad form that was never corrected. If you want to run, get your ass to a running store and buy some decent shoes that compliment/correct your gait.

Archived