I need really loud cleans

mewithoutlouie

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
i have.

i've suggested a bunch. v4, sunn sceptre, hiwatt custom 100, etc.

but no one is listening.
:cry:

There is nothing wrong with those amps but they're not something you're likely to find in a store even in a fairly large city. Most people probably don't have much experience with them unless they've ordered online.

• Members
There is nothing wrong with those amps but they're not something you're likely to find in a store even in a fairly large city. Most people probably don't have much experience with them unless they've ordered online.

i posted a bunch of links to ebay auctions. :cop:

• Members

Reeves/Hiwatt! I swear you'll blow the speakers before the tubes break up. Sick, sick headroom!

I've had mine break up, but whether it was the tubes or my speakers breaking up I cannot be sure. What I do know is that it was utterly ridiculously loud.

• Members
Whoops! This is pretty well off base. Dave Reeves died in 1980 and had nothing at all to do with the US company which uses his name in making HIWATT-ish amps. The Reeves amps are quite nice from what I've seen & heard on the internet, but they have no direct relation to Dave Reeves UK-made amps from the late '60s through the '70s. They also do not use original Fane speakers (instead using Eminence-made speakers) or Partridge transformers (instead using copies made by Heyboer) or Mullard valves all of which are considered, by most, to be a major part of what makes up the traditional ultra-clean HIWATT sound. This is not meant, in any way, to sound snobby or exclusive, I personally use an Audio Bros. HIWATT replica made in the UK in the 1990s. It is the closest thing anyone has made to the Hylite era Reeves/Joyce amps of the early '70s and uses Partridge trannies & Fane speakers (I had to find my own Mullards!) If you're after a HIWATT and insist on new production, the Reeves amps are probably the way to go - certainly a MUCH better amplifer than the current UK made HIWATT branded Music Ground amps which share even less DNA with classic HIWATTs.

Bottom line: HIWATTs kick MUCHO @$$ if you're after killer cleans, but the buyer needs to invest some SERIOUS time in understanding exactly what they're after and what they're getting before 'pulling the trigger'. Not many opportunities to get into any of the 'good' HIWATTs for less than $1k - unless you don't mind rolling your own!

http://www.vintagehiwattrestorations.com/

The kits made by these folks get VERY high marks from most people in the HIWATT community. Other kits offered by Weber or Ceriatone fall short in many areas and while they may end up as good amps, shouldn't be considered as a substitute for a proper HIWATT.

Should I shut up yet?
:rolleyes::blah::rolleyes::blah:

Why did you keep capitalising the brand name "Hiwatt"?

And why the censorship?

• Members
Whoops! This is pretty well off base. Dave Reeves died in 1980 and had nothing at all to do with the US company which uses his name in making HIWATT-ish amps. The Reeves amps are quite nice from what I've seen & heard on the internet, but they have no direct relation to Dave Reeves UK-made amps from the late '60s through the '70s. They also do not use original Fane speakers (instead using Eminence-made speakers) or Partridge transformers (instead using copies made by Heyboer) or Mullard valves all of which are considered, by most, to be a major part of what makes up the traditional ultra-clean HIWATT sound. This is not meant, in any way, to sound snobby or exclusive, I personally use an Audio Bros. HIWATT replica made in the UK in the 1990s. It is the closest thing anyone has made to the Hylite era Reeves/Joyce amps of the early '70s and uses Partridge trannies & Fane speakers (I had to find my own Mullards!) If you're after a HIWATT and insist on new production, the Reeves amps are probably the way to go - certainly a MUCH better amplifer than the current UK made HIWATT branded Music Ground amps which share even less DNA with classic HIWATTs.

Bottom line: HIWATTs kick MUCHO @$$ if you're after killer cleans, but the buyer needs to invest some SERIOUS time in understanding exactly what they're after and what they're getting before 'pulling the trigger'. Not many opportunities to get into any of the 'good' HIWATTs for less than $1k - unless you don't mind rolling your own!

http://www.vintagehiwattrestorations.com/

The kits made by these folks get VERY high marks from most people in the HIWATT community. Other kits offered by Weber or Ceriatone fall short in many areas and while they may end up as good amps, shouldn't be considered as a substitute for a proper HIWATT.

Should I shut up yet?
:rolleyes::blah::rolleyes::blah:

Thanks for the correction. I was just going off of REEVES' site which states that they use the "same standards" as the original design that Reeves himself used and that they use the "highest quality components available/hand made" and all of that. I guess that is just tricky marketing. :confused: They are using the dude's name and the company never had anything to do with him...wtf? That is kind of misleading...

Anyway, are Audio Bros still producing amps? If so, do you happen to have a link?

BTW, are REEVES still recommended for "really loud cleans"?

• Members
Anyway, are Audio Bros still producing amps? If so, do you happen to have a link?

BTW, are REEVES still recommended for "really loud cleans"?

Thanks
:wave:

Unfortunately, the Audio Bros. era ended when Fernandes stopped having them build amps in the late '90s. They had started building their own little boutique amp "the Booker Amp", and were widely regarded as THE go-to source for HIWATT spares. It was as a result of this reputation that I started talking with Steve Gibbs in 1999. He offered to build me a one-off SA112 replica as he said he still had access to everything he needed. I was SUPER excited and sent him the first half so he could begin construction. He told me the amp was ready for final testing and packing about 6mos. later, but after I sent the second half he vanished and I haven't heard from him since. There were a few of us from the US and a few from Japan who paid for amps we never received. As far as I know (and those others who I am in contact with) Steve simply vanished. We've even had folks in the UK try to help us track him down w/ no luck. 8 years later I finally found EXACTLY the model I'd ordered, an Audio Bros SA112 replica on eBay. This was the first I'd seen pop up since loosing mine, but the seller had zero feedback and I wasn't willing to buy an amp I'd never see twice. I made a call to my HCFX brothers to have someone in Nashville to meet the seller and verify the existence of the amp. Member 'gnashville' responded and gave me the info I needed to feel safe in making an offer on the amp - the seller was Bruce Brown, the guitarist from the Charlie Daniels Band! He'd had the amp in his collection for years - even used it as his main tour amp for a year - but was selling off a number of pieces he wasn't using any more. Well, he took my offer and finally I had my HIWATT.

Here is the trick = along the way, I could've easily bought any number of actual, vintage HIWATTs. For me, this was a personal thing, and I really wanted the amp I'd originally lusted after. My primary beef with brands like Reeves, Harry Joyce & Music Ground has nothing to do with quality (well, with MG, it does) but with price. It's almost always cheaper to find a well-used HIWATT in perfect order than it is to buy a new amp that is trying to replicate the vintage piece. Doesn't this seem a little weird? Obviously, there are plenty of good reasons to want a new amp, and if I were only looking to buy new I'd look long and hard at Reeves stuff - I respect them and it's very cool that they make a range of amps that goes beyond HIWATT copies. I would say, w/o a doubt, that a number of their models would satisfy the loud + clean thing, but their price is well above the top limit. . .

• Members
Unfortunately, the Audio Bros. era ended when Fernandes stopped having them build amps in the late '90s. They had started building their own little boutique amp "the Booker Amp", and were widely regarded as THE go-to source for HIWATT spares. It was as a result of this reputation that I started talking with Steve Gibbs in 1999. He offered to build me a one-off SA112 replica as he said he still had access to everything he needed. I was SUPER excited and sent him the first half so he could begin construction. He told me the amp was ready for final testing and packing about 6mos. later, but after I sent the second half he vanished and I haven't heard from him since. There were a few of us from the US and a few from Japan who paid for amps we never received. As far as I know (and those others who I am in contact with) Steve simply vanished. We've even had folks in the UK try to help us track him down w/ no luck. 8 years later I finally found EXACTLY the model I'd ordered, an Audio Bros SA112 replica on eBay. This was the first I'd seen pop up since loosing mine, but the seller had zero feedback and I wasn't willing to buy an amp I'd never see twice. I made a call to my HCFX brothers to have someone in Nashville to meet the seller and verify the existence of the amp. Member 'gnashville' responded and gave me the info I needed to feel safe in making an offer on the amp - the seller was Bruce Brown, the guitarist from the Charlie Daniels Band! He'd had the amp in his collection for years - even used it as his main tour amp for a year - but was selling off a number of pieces he wasn't using any more. Well, he took my offer and finally I had my HIWATT.

Here is the trick = along the way, I could've easily bought any number of actual, vintage HIWATTs. For me, this was a personal thing, and I really wanted the amp I'd originally lusted after. My primary beef with brands like Reeves, Harry Joyce & Music Ground has nothing to do with quality (well, with MG, it does) but with price. It's almost always cheaper to find a well-used HIWATT in perfect order than it is to buy a new amp that is trying to replicate the vintage piece. Doesn't this seem a little weird? Obviously, there are plenty of good reasons to want a new amp, and if I were only looking to buy new I'd look long and hard at Reeves stuff - I respect them and it's very cool that they make a range of amps that goes beyond HIWATT copies. I would say, w/o a doubt, that a number of their models would satisfy the loud + clean thing, but their price is well above the top limit. . .

Wow! Thanks for that in depth answer drasp - you rock!

Congratulations on holding out for and eventually finding THE amp that you had wanted for so long.....and the fact that is was Bruce Brown'stouring amp makes the whole situation even cooler :thu:

I was wondering if you knew something else about Reevse if you don't mind humoring me:

On the Reeves website they have a new (new to me anyway) head that they are offering called the "Custom 50PS" and it claims to have "Power Scaling" which allows you to, I am guessing, drive the tubes enough so that you still get the tone of a tube amp at a louder volume (tubes working harder) without outputting that much volume.

My question is: Is the "Power Scaling" the same thing as an attenuator?

When looking at the specs for the Custom 50 and the Custom 50PS there is no difference. If the Custom 50PS has a power scaler, shouldn't it be shown in the specks?

Are there any negative effects to using an attenuator/power scaler?

Thanks man! I hope to be joining the HIWATT CLUB in some form in the future! :thu:

• Members
Wow! Thanks for that in depth answer drasp - you rock!

Congratulations on holding out for and eventually finding THE amp that you had wanted for so long.....and the fact that is was Bruce Brown'stouring amp makes the whole situation even cooler
:thu:

I was wondering if you knew something else about Reevse if you don't mind humoring me:

On the Reeves website they have a new (new to me anyway) head that they are offering called the "Custom 50PS" and it claims to have "Power Scaling" which allows you to, I am guessing, drive the tubes enough so that you still get the tone of a tube amp at a louder volume (tubes working harder) without outputting that much volume.

My question is: Is the "Power Scaling" the same thing as an attenuator?

When looking at the specs for the Custom 50 and the Custom 50PS there is no difference. If the Custom 50PS has a power scaler, shouldn't it be shown in the specks?

Are there any negative effects to using an attenuator/power scaler?

Thanks man! I hope to be joining the HIWATT CLUB in some form in the future!
:thu:

:) - already answered in the HCFX HIWATT Club thread. :wave:

• Members

Get a twin reverb, specifically one the last years that they built silver faces from around 78' to 81'ish. Mines got two 12 inch 135 watt speakers and will never break up unless you crank the keep the preamp bellow 3. AND if you still feel the need for even more power or just as a penis extension you can use the speaker out to attach a separate cab via the speaker extension out. I just got mine back from the shop and wow can this amp push the cleans out at high Dbs.

• Members

Get a twin reverb, specifically one the last years that they built silver faces from around 78' to 81'ish. Mines got two 12 inch 135 watt speakers and will never break up unless you crank the keep the preamp bellow 3. AND if you still feel the need for even more power or just as a penis extension you can use the speaker out to attach a separate cab via the speaker extension out. I just got mine back from the shop and wow can this amp push the cleans out at high Dbs.

It's statements like this that make me want to keep my Twin, which is up for sale at the moment. The speakers are no-name. I bought it that way, and I always wondered how much better/cleaner it would be with some legitimate, heavyweight speakers in there.

An easy way to test this would be to find a cab with good speakers and hook it up, since that's easy to do on a Twin. I think I will do that.

• Members

It's statements like this that make me want to keep my Twin, which is up for sale at the moment. The speakers are no-name. I bought it that way, and I always wondered how much better/cleaner it would be with some legitimate, heavyweight speakers in there.

An easy way to test this would be to find a cab with good speakers and hook it up, since that's easy to do on a Twin. I think I will do that.

You might want to check on the type speakers. Mine are just the stock ones that came during 78' (along with just about everything in it until it a bunch of it failed). They constantly ramped up the wattage on the speakers through the 70's, so you might have just the stock ones.

Archived