Awesome Superfuzz Mod

echodeluxe

• Members

Dude, Im sitting in a chair a million miles away from you.

Internet is NOT serious business.

are you a computer program, a clown, or a person?

because even though we are not sitting next to each other having a conversation, you are still a person (i think) and it doesnt matter. i guess its not "serious business" but people can be pricks in front of you or a million miles away. people choose to do it from behind a computer screen cuz there is no risk of them losing teeth.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Hey!!!

Nobody is allowed to state their opinion here!! It's a forum you assholes!!1 Echo made the choice to put himself out there with this thread. I don't see how he is getting flamed at all.

And if it was my money, I
would
have to
:facepalm:
. But whatevs

are you for real dude?

• Members

are you a computer program, a clown, or a person?

because even though we are not sitting next to each other having a conversation, you are still a person (i think) and it doesnt matter.
i guess its not "serious business" but people can be pricks in front of you or a million miles away. people choose to do it from behind a computer screen cuz there is no risk of them losing teeth.

10 years ago, this wasnt how it was done.

You said something to me, Id feel the hot breathe in my face and believe it.

Now adays, we dont talk face to face, we accept this charade

We dont really socialize now adays, we all read and write.

• Members

Looks like a useful mod although If it were my pedal I might have dropped everything into a 1690 with the footswitches farther apart. It looks like the dudes maybe want to hit both switches at the same time and that layout would make that super easy so thats good for them.

I remember when I had a wattson SF the max volume was less than that of the dry signal by just a hair so I can see how the boost would be really helpful overall. I traded it on for some reason and now have an audiomonk fuzz potion which is equally large but also really really loud. Fuzz Factory loud really.

Its cool that you helped those dudes out for the cost of parts but to me its curious that you essentially are Wattson Classic Electronics but you say this voids your warranty and isn't a company mod. What would the harm be in just making it a wattson modification and maybe later offering a slightly wider model with the boost integrated a little more easily for switching.

• Members
Looks like a useful mod although If it were my pedal I might have dropped everything into a 1690 with the footswitches farther apart. It looks like the dudes maybe want to hit both switches at the same time and that layout would make that super easy so thats good for them.

I remember when I had a wattson SF the max volume was less than that of the dry signal by just a hair so I can see how the boost would be really helpful overall. I traded it on for some reason and now have an audiomonk fuzz potion which is equally large but also really really loud. Fuzz Factory loud really.

Its cool that you helped those dudes out for the cost of parts but to me its curious that you essentially are Wattson Classic Electronics but you say this voids your warranty and isn't a company mod. What would the harm be in just making it a wattson modification and maybe later offering a slightly wider model with the boost integrated a little more easily for switching.

its funny you mention that because i was actually considering dropping the whole thing into a bigger box so there would be room, but they were against it.

if this were my mod, i would have done just that.

with a 500mv input signal, the superfuzz puts out about 750mv, which is the same as the vintage one. in tone two, i can see how that can be perceived as a volume drop, since the mids are scooped so drastically.

the reason we arent associating this with wattson is because we arent going to do mods, and we arent going to offer mods. simply because the company is slated for vintage reproductions, and we want to stay on that path for now. i like the idea of having this mod be a standard feature on a "deluxe edition" superfuzz, but im not the only one who decides what we do with the company :p

the main reason i did the mods for these dudes is because i know them. one of the guys works at one of our retail locations, and the other guy is the other guitarist in his band.

if someone else wanted a similar mod i would do it, but it would be independent of wattson. i know its confusing and a little weird but thats just how it is. ask jim!

• Members
its funny you mention that because i was actually considering dropping the whole thing into a bigger box so there would be room, but they were against it.

if this were my mod, i would have done just that.

with a 500mv input signal, the superfuzz puts out about 750mv, which is the same as the vintage one. in tone two, i can see how that can be perceived as a volume drop, since the mids are scooped so drastically.

the reason we arent associating this with wattson is because we arent going to do mods, and we arent going to offer mods. simply because the company is slated for vintage reproductions, and we want to stay on that path for now. i like the idea of having this mod be a standard feature on a "deluxe edition" superfuzz, but im not the only one who decides what we do with the company
:p

the main reason i did the mods for these dudes is because i know them. one of the guys works at one of our retail locations, and the other guy is the other guitarist in his band.

if someone else wanted a similar mod i would do it, but it would be independent of wattson. i know its confusing and a little weird but thats just how it is. ask jim!

I hear you on the close reproduction side of things. People often want exact even if that means dealing with the funkyness of the actual vintage pedal. I would love to see a deluxe edition with the boost switchable by the slide switch on the side and the mode switch footswitchable on the side. Now that would be classic ;)

• Members

Echodeluxe and I are both involved in making decisions that affect the company. But, ultimately, the final word on most decisions is mine. This is because Wattson is a sole proprietorship, and I am the proprietor. There are a myriad of reasons for this, but the only one that really matters is that I had money to invest when we formed the company, and I have funded the company since it was started. Echodeluxe is involved in practically every major decision that affects the company, and there have been a number of times when I've abandoned ideas of my own because he objected to them.

The decision not to do pedal mods was my own. Wattson has limited resources and manpower, and I wanted to focus on building our manufacturing capability. I never ruled out the possibility of opening a Wattson pedal mod shop at some point down the road, but at this point we have more important objectives. Our manufacturing capacity is barely enough to keep up with orders, and we need to move out of my house and into a real shop before we'll see a significant boost to our capacity. At this point, I want to see us build our manufacturing capacity to the point that we can pay the sustained costs of leasing a shop, and we won't reach that point if we have to allocate manpower to modding pedals. The bottom line is that mods don't return as much revenue as manufacturing for the same amount of labor, and we need revenue to grow.

There are periods, like now, when we're waiting on materials to resume building pedals. I'm more than happy to have echodeluxe use Wattson's facilities to take on side jobs during these periods, especially if it gives him more engineering or technical experience.

What echodeluxe says about the output level of the SuperFuzz is true. The output level is about 50% higher than the input level with the "balance" pot dimed, and is the same as the vintage Shin-ei and Univox pedals. The mid-scoop filter does make it sound a little lower because a lot of what our ears perceive as loudness is contained in the midrange.

• Members

Hello,
I'm the guy who wanted these mods so if you'd like to tease anyone about it, make it me. The pedal sounds amazing and the footswitches being close together was intentional. Echodeluxe did a fantastic job.
While you guys sit around obsessing about drilling mistakes Jeff and I will be in a club laying waste to people with our new fuzz pedals and talking to girls.
Thanks Echodeluxe!

• Members

Hello,

I'm the guy who wanted these mods so if you'd like to tease anyone about it, make it me. The pedal sounds amazing and the footswitches being close together was intentional. Echodeluxe did a fantastic job.

While you guys sit around obsessing about drilling mistakes Jeff and I will be in a club laying waste to people with our new fuzz pedals and talking to girls.

Thanks Echodeluxe!

Be sure to check for adams apples.

• Members
Hello,

While you guys sit around obsessing about drilling mistakes
Jeff and I
will be in a club laying waste to people with our new fuzz pedals and talking to girls.

Thanks Echodeluxe!

So, are you the Hardy Boys, or not?

b40593099.png

• Members
So, are you the Hardy Boys, or not?

b40593099.png

Yes. I have no idea how you discovered our identities so quickly. After reading the thread again I'd like to point out that the boost switch is taller than the fuzz switch, it is easy to engage both at once and equally easy to engage the boost or fuzz independently.
You guys must be really {censored}ing bored to dwell upon such trivial matters as off-center drilling. Do you guys sit around just looking at your pedals? do you bust out a ruler and make sure everything is "correct"?
I think it was pretty cool to be able to have a rad pedal modded to my liking by the manufacturer.

• Members

Mods are cool. I had my Acetone Fuzzmaster modded years ago to give it more gain, and I'd do it again. Who cares what it looks like?
Fuzz pedals suck anyway. They sound all buzzy and dumb.Get a Boss DS-1. Best pedal ever. I can make mine sound like any vintage pile of germanium with a few twists of the knobs.
And I can outshred all of you. Deal with it.

Archived