Product Manager for M13 here for questions

richrenken

• Members
I want to do another expanded floor version that has better midi, a row of presets with rows for instant access, channel switching etc. So more bradshaw like in a pedal.

that sounds kinda cool!

and don't let Robo bug you. he's our resident loveable curmudgeon. he's a tough sell when it comes to new gear.

i've been through THREE dl-4s since 1999 when i got my first one. one got destroyed by too much guinness being poured into it :lol:

our forumite DRASP (Dan Rasp) does some really nice mods to the modeler pedals -- better switches, no volume drop, and cool colored LEDs.

the m13 is very interesting. i, like many others, would probably not use the dirt pedal models......but the delays, modulations, and filter effects are really quite good. not 100% as good as the "real thing", but at least 85% of the way there.

i could see myself using an m13 as my main source of delay/modulations/filter effects...but i would have to place my dirt pedals somewhere in the middle of all of it. i would like filters, phasers in FRONT of the dirt.....and all of the modulations and delays AFTER the dirt.

the idea of having the "scenes" set up is intriguing.....if i could control my dirt pedals from the m13 like the bradshaw style thing you are suggesting, you would have my attention. loops that are on/off depending upon the scene.....:thu:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I think he's not being 100% up front, it's not a "metal switch" it's a piece of metal that jabs a cheap ass little micro-switch like what is in your remote control. Same as all the old {censored}. Please check around the web and don't eat up the force fed BS from line 6s spam manager.

They work ok until they get dirty, kind of like things you step on with your feet tend to.

It's a good suggestion, raise the price $20 and put real switches in there that are easy to replace.

:idea:

LIES!

Hey Robo. My name is Rich. Not trying to spam, be argumentative or disingenuous. You can address your comments right at me.

I explained that. The switch will not break and yes it hits what is called an actuator. Again I will not tell here what other companies use these but many do. If you don't want to have a switch that activates and actuator. No problems. Wait for a different product. To have the switches you are asking for would cost us way more than $20 and that will get passed on to you turning into hundreds.

Hey guys, thank you for the defense but I am in here for the guys who love it and for the guys who think I am full of it. No problem.

• Members

I am hearing you guys on the model packs and single model downloads etc. We are thinking about all of that and more and different ways to do it that I can't talk about yet. It is gonna be cool. :)

P.S. that long list was not my list. I am hearing you guys though.

• Members
that sounds kinda cool!

and don't let Robo bug you. he's our resident loveable curmudgeon. he's a tough sell when it comes to new gear.

i've been through THREE dl-4s since 1999 when i got my first one. one got destroyed by too much guinness being poured into it
:lol:

our forumite DRASP (Dan Rasp) does some really nice mods to the modeler pedals -- better switches, no volume drop, and cool colored LEDs.

the m13 is very interesting. i, like many others, would probably not use the dirt pedal models......but the delays, modulations, and filter effects are really quite good. not 100% as good as the "real thing", but at least 85% of the way there.

i could see myself using an m13 as my main source of delay/modulations/filter effects...but i would have to place my dirt pedals somewhere in the middle of all of it. i would like filters, phasers in FRONT of the dirt.....and all of the modulations and delays AFTER the dirt.

the idea of having the "scenes" set up is intriguing.....if i could control my dirt pedals from the m13 like the bradshaw style thing you are suggesting, you would have my attention. loops that are on/off depending upon the scene.....
:thu:

DL4 switches did have their problems. We sold hundreds of thousands over all these years. I wish I could let you guys see the % of returns compared to sales. The early version had a spring with no guide from the switch to the actuator and it worked well but not perfect, some would work their way off the actuator, we added a guide to stop that, the return rate for returns for switches dropped to almost nil. Also we are using a new actuator on M13. So we are hearing you guys and doing what we can. It is always a balance between street price and value and stuff.

No one that has concerns or comments good or bad ever bug me. In fact, it is comments like those I need to keep doing my job as well as I can. My oldest daughter is a total curmudgeon so I understand completely.

With our new switch design it would be harder to do an after market switch. I have seen his work, very nice. But we fixed the other issues with the 4 buttons on M13. Volume drop, better true bypass, better dsp bypass. Worked real hard on those issues.

I have seen many guys, including close friends, buy M13 not expecting to use the distortions only to fall in love with some of them and/or use them in conjunction with outboard distortion to create some cool dirt.

• Members

cool stuff Rich.....i am glad you are here!

can the M13 have effects loops as part of scenes? can you choose WHERE in the signal chain these loops are?

adding my own dirt boxes to the m13 would be very interesting. i play live music professionally for a living, and it would be nice to have something like that -- the power of all that is tempting.

• Members

I strongly approve of this thread. Many of the other big-time manufacturers that have come on here have ditched out pretty quick because of the peanut gallery.

Kudos to Rich for sticking it out, being helpful, and listening.

Line6 respect +lots

• Members

Ok, I am really interested in how this thread has just panned out.

Really exciting developments.

Glad to hear you have taken not of the download idea.

Also, I did mean that list was a "wish list" not your list, but I edited it to make sure there is no confusion. :)

• Members

cool stuff Rich.....i am glad you are here!

can the M13 have effects loops as part of scenes? can you choose WHERE in the signal chain these loops are?

adding my own dirt boxes to the m13 would be very interesting. i play live music professionally for a living, and it would be nice to have something like that -- the power of all that is tempting.

Yes, the fx loop parameter is scene specific and it can be pre or post or in between any 2 of the 4 FX units and with the new 1.07 update you can select FX off to "kill" the FX loop altogether and in essence use it to kick in your FX loop by going to another scene. Fun stuff.

• Members

I strongly approve of this thread. Many of the other big-time manufacturers that have come on here have ditched out pretty quick because of the peanut gallery.

Kudos to Rich for sticking it out, being helpful, and listening.

Line6 respect +lots

I have three killer kids and they are 23, 21, and 17 so the rat race peanut gallery doesn't get to me to easy. Plus I just respect all opinions. Music and tone are not rocket science, it is art. Making the gear work is straight forward, figuring out how guys are going to use it or watching how they use it is the art. And some people love Van Gogh and some don't, neither is wrong.

• Members
Ok, I am really interested in how this thread has just panned out.

Really exciting developments.

Glad to hear you have taken not of the download idea.

Also, I did mean that list was a "wish list" not your list, but I edited it to make sure there is no confusion.
:)

Great. I probably read too fast. :)

• Members
And you bitch about other peoples lack of communication skills?

That should have said "note", but other than that, what's the beef?
That wasn't sarcasm, I genuinly think Line 6 would benefit from selling individual models and I am glad that idea was taken note of, even if it doesn't happen, or happens in a different way.
:idk:

• Members

it's Rich on video!

Nnnnoooooooo, my secret is out. I was so nervous doing that. You will notice on our website, I am one product manager not in front of the camera. We used the artist relations cat, Tim Godwin, when we did the LowDown video. :)

They just threw a mic in front of the amp for the camera, for real comparison tone go to http://line6.com/m13/sounds02.html

We recorded it all with two guitars and one amp. We didn't touch the amp after the initial no FX from M13 sample at the top. All tone change came from M13 only.

• Members

I very much value the idea that Phil had of a studio-oriented M13 - one with some new effects that address studio gear - especially models of tape machines. Models of preamps and compressors would be nice as well.

I'd like to see this piece in the form of a table-top unit or rack-mount, with analog as well as digital I/O. Having a mix of analog, AES/EBU, S/PDIF, and ADAT, and being able to use any of them as the loop I/O would be very nice indeed. While the internal DSP is @ 48KHz, it would be very welcome to have 3 different clocks, e.g., 44.1, 48, and 96, on the I/O so as to interface with other gear. Being able to do stereo in and out to each of the engines independently via ADAT would be killer. The ability to run the 4 engines in serial, parallel, and all possible configs in between would deliver for studio work - much as the Ensoniq DP/4 did it.

Get rid of most all the switches for the studio version, but make sure there are lots of knobs for hands-on control and tweaking.

I think Line6 has had a real opportunity in the past to deliver its algorithms in a studio-friendly package. The -Pro racks only went part of the way. Repackage the M13 with some studio tools and a plethora of I/O that allow it to be used multichannel, and I think Line6 could have a hit on its hands that would go beyond its usual customer base.

cheers,

Ian

Music and tone are not rocket science, it is art.

That's sig worthy stuff right there folks. :phil:

Rich, you did fine on the video. Nice to be able to put a face with the name. But I do have to say... whenever I hear that word, the first thing that springs to mind is...

"Jefe, do you know what a plethora is?" ;)

b6E682C7Jj4

:lol:

I very much value the idea that Phil had of a studio-oriented M13 - one with some new effects that address studio gear - especially models of tape machines. Models of preamps and compressors would be nice as well.

I'd like to see this piece in the form of a table-top unit or rack-mount, with analog as well as digital I/O. Having a mix of analog, AES/EBU, S/PDIF, and ADAT, and being able to use any of them as the loop I/O would be very nice indeed. While the internal DSP is @ 48KHz, it would be very welcome to have 3 different clocks, e.g., 44.1, 48, and 96, on the I/O so as to interface with other gear. Being able to do stereo in and out to each of the engines independently via ADAT would be killer. The ability to run the 4 engines in serial, parallel, and all possible configs in between would deliver for studio work - much as the Ensoniq DP/4 did it.

Get rid of most all the switches for the studio version, but make sure there are lots of knobs for hands-on control and tweaking.

I think Line6 has had a real opportunity in the past to deliver its algorithms in a studio-friendly package. The -Pro racks only went part of the way. Repackage the M13 with some studio tools and a plethora of I/O that allow it to be used multichannel, and I think Line6 could have a hit on its hands that would go beyond its usual customer base.

cheers,

Ian

Excellent suggestions Ian.

If I may...

I love Pod Farm, and I've been using it quite a bit lately - paridoxically, mostly for NON-guitar stuff. The studio gear models in it are quite good.

I know Line 6 has done some audio interfaces, but the problem with that, at least from my perspective, is that they're unusable and redundant with my DAW of choice - Pro Tools HD. Digidesign still requires you to use their hardware, and you can't really use third party interfaces...

However, a few companies have managed to implement and integrate their stuff in such a way that it's actually useful in conjunction with a Pro Tools DAW. For example, Lexicon uses a USB interface and VST plugin "skin" to allow software control of the attached hardware. You're not running audio through it (except with the PCM96's firewire setup), but you can recall, automate and store your hardware setup within the DAW program itself over the USB connection. VERY cool IMO, and something I'm a bit surprised that more companies haven't implemented. Yamaha's mixer USB implementation on their current digital boards lets you do some similar things in terms of controlling your hardware from your computer. "powered" DSP stuff, such as the SSL Duende, Focusrite Liquid Mix, etc. is also quite popular at the moment, and maybe L6 could do something similar. :idk:

As far as the basic ideas Ian was talking about, I'd vote for rack mount, multiple I/O of various types, including digital I/O, and please put a BNC connection on the back of the unit. Oh, and if you REALLY want to earn my undying love and gratitude, PLEASE put a varispeed clock into the thing. Pro Tools still doesn't have one, and I do miss the ability to varispeed audio when tracking. Actually, I can do it now, but I'd like to spectacularly blow up the one last remaining ADAT deck I've kept for that single task...

Studio effects - especially rare, hard to find and expensive stuff, plus good tape modeling and your effects, all in one studio friendly box = win IMO. :phil:

• Members
Studio effects - especially rare, hard to find and expensive stuff, plus good tape modeling and your effects, all in one studio friendly box = win IMO. :phil:

A big box of win - agreed! :thu:

cheers,
Ian

Archived