The OFFICIAL Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lounge

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i will say that all the pedals that i love to hate (but secretly wish i could love)... work great thru these amps....mainly FD-II's and RATS

good, cuz my main dirt is a fulldrive 2. i didnt have my fulldrive when i had my hrd back in the day, so im excited to see how it sounds.

• Members

Here are the mods I do.

In the kit.

Bass Cap .1 orange drop

Mid Cap .015 orange drop and bridge pins 1&2 on the pot

Slope Resistor 100K

Treble Cap 250P or 220P mica

All plate load resistors to carbon comp.

Add 47u/450V filter cap in parallel with the first filter stage.

Master Vol to 100K Audio pot

Reverb clip R103

New jacks for the input (isolated switchcraft)

add 100pf mica cap across the Vol and Drive pots (brighter at lower volumes)

replace power resistors with 470ohm 5W (not necessary on the newer amps)

Not in the Kit but highly reccommended.

Speaker - Celestion V30

Output trannie: drop it to 25 watts with a Hammond transformer.

Tubes: V1 12AY7, V2 12AX7, V3 12AT7, V4 and V5 6V6 (only use 6V6 if you drop to 25 watts).

Enclosure - Get a plywood cab, that MDF is heavy and sounds like {censored}.

Don't say I never gave you anything:)

Doing just the kit makes a world of difference, if you go full boat and do everything the sound is like a deluxe reverb on steriods with nice bell chime, full round tone and a tight ass.

Now everyone get out your soldering irons and bring out the best in that Rod.

• Members

I have a blues deluxe which is basically the same amp, just a little different in the drive section which I never use. I swapped the speaker with a vintage 30, put in some better tubes, and use pedals for my dirt (tonebone hot british and keeley modded rat). It's really an awesome amp.

• Members

I have a blues deluxe which is basically the same amp, just a little different in the drive section which I never use. I swapped the speaker with a vintage 30, put in some better tubes, and use pedals for my dirt (tonebone hot british and keeley modded rat). It's really an awesome amp.

What tubes did you use? I like mine stock so far. I thought I would have to replace the stock speaker, but I don't think so, not yet anyway. I had a Vintage 30 in my Traynor YCV50, and I prefer this speaker over it. But maybe it was the amp, and not the speaker. Not sure what speaker I would use. I use pedals for my dirt too.

• Members

Oh, and here's a pic of my Blues Deluxe. Not sure I should keep it up this high, close to ear level. But that's what I do. The stand is extremely solid though, designed for high end audio gear.

MayBoardPics008-1.jpg

• Members

What tubes did you use? I like mine stock so far. I thought I would have to replace the stock speaker, but I don't think so, not yet anyway. I had a Vintage 30 in my Traynor YCV50, and I prefer this speaker over it. But maybe it was the amp, and not the speaker. Not sure what speaker I would use. I use pedals for my dirt too.

I replaced the powertubes with JJs, and my amp tech swapped the preamps with better quality ones but I can't for the life of me remember what type he used. :facepalm:

Archived