The OFFICIAL Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lounge

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My buddy attenuated his when it was working and he loooooved it. he had some issues with it though, and he uses an F-30 now. This thread has me wanting to try out the drive channel again.

12DW7.

• Members

sweet tip davo17! will try that.

regardless of the voodoo resistors that seem to be magic, jfromel's mods are for the most part pretty rad.

im gonna check em out.

Let us know what you think of the mods as far as install/sounds.

• Members

No but neither do caps or tubes, it's how they treat the harmonics. Different kinds of resistors sound different. Not that CC are better than CF or MF but they all sound different, I like the sound of the carbon comp for the plate resistors because of how they treat the 2nd order harmonics.

and that awesome hiss and sweet vintage noise they have

• Members

and that awesome hiss and sweet vintage noise they have

If you don't want to use CC then use metal film. I have modded a ton of these amps and never noticed any additional noise or hiss introduced from using carbon comp, but metal film in general are quieter.

Why all the flaming on my choice of resistors, they are just resistors, if you don't like them use something else.

• Members

got my HRD yesterday as most of you know.

im loving it! i can only use the normal channel right now, but i love the way it sounds. nice and punchy and full. makes me tele sound awesome. the bright switch is actually useful too!

it overdrives really nicely, but still has clarity.

i figured out the problem with the reverb, channel switching and effects loop. turns out to be some power resistors. i went to fry's and bought some big ass power resistors to replace the ones giving me issues, and the amp should be ready to go by sunday.

very excited.

• Members

Got mine. Mexican, 350 bucks. 6 gigs so far and I am definitely digging it. Before I got it I had been thinking about what mods to hit it up with, but I'm actually liking it just fine stock.

It sounds big and warm and really does take pedals well. The Blackstone OD sounds better than it did through the Mesa I was previously using. The HRD is also a hell of a lot lighter than any amp I've ever gigged with. Pretty stoked.

• Members
got my HRD yesterday as most of you know.

im loving it! i can only use the normal channel right now, but i love the way it sounds. nice and punchy and full. makes me tele sound awesome. the bright switch is actually useful too!

it overdrives really nicely, but still has clarity.

i figured out the problem with the reverb, channel switching and effects loop. turns out to be some power resistors. i went to fry's and bought some big ass power resistors to replace the ones giving me issues, and the amp should be ready to go by sunday.

very excited.

Dont forget that 12DW7 or the boy band documentary :thu:

• Members

Got my HRD yesterday, and it sounds great but there is so much white noise or hiss with the clean channel. My AC30's, Blues Deluxe and DRRI have very little noise and are almost silent, so something must have happened during shipping. Tried swapping tubes and it didn't help one bit. Gotta take it to my amp guy tomorrow to see what the problem is...

Weird thing is the drive channel is almost silent compared to the clean, dunno if that means anything (not the more drive, that bitch is noisy too lol but it's supposed to be from what I remember)

• Members

Got my HRD yesterday, and it sounds great but there is so much white noise or hiss with the clean channel. My AC30's, Blues Deluxe and DRRI have very little noise and are almost silent, so something must have happened during shipping. Tried swapping tubes and it didn't help one bit. Gotta take it to my amp guy tomorrow to see what the problem is...

Weird thing is the drive channel is almost silent compared to the clean, dunno if that means anything (not the more drive, that bitch is noisy too lol but it's supposed to be from what I remember)

i wouldnt be surprised if your problem was a late lod resistor problem.

check this out:

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/plateloads.html

• Members

so, i found an eminence cannibis rex on CL for $55. seems like a sweet deal.

8 ohm, 12", 102db sensitivity, hemp cone, 50watts.

might sound badass. ive been interested in checking out the hemp cone speakers.

anyone have any experience with the cannabis rex? what is that supposed to be like?

• Members

^^^

There's a bunch of dudes on TGP who love the C Rex for their HRD's and for the Deluxe Reverb Reissues. It supposedly mellows out the brightness quite a bit, though, so it depends on what you want.

sounds good. the HRD has a really percussive sound with my tele. so long as that isnt affected then i dont see why it wouldnt be a great speaker to try. i like warm overdrive.

• Members

Hey i just bought a fender hot rod deluxe and i love it. When i was buying it i was looking for the texas red one but they told me it was discontinued and would be pretty hard to find. So i just got the black one that was there.

Could anyone tell me if its possible to just get the red cover for it? I've looked around but i cant find anything.

Thanks

Archived