I Never Have Been to Guitar Center - Anyone else?

ispunk

• Members

You're not missing much. I think it's funner to find undiscovered gems and good deals, and guitar center for the most part just has new stuff that you would find in musicians friend anyway. And then you have to put up with the people who "work" there.

• Members

I've only been once. Not one in my town close by. I have two local shops that are great, within 1 block of where I work. One is a vintage guitar shop, one of the better ones in the country. I can't afford much there, but it's fun to look. About the polar opposite of a GC.

• Members

Ug. I go in there and they have a used whammy IV at $99. Ask them to ring it up, and the employee puts it on the counter, and goes in the back. 5 minutes later, he comes back and says that, 'we're not supposed to sell this until tomorrow.'

OK, I thought. "Well then can I get that RV-3 that's $70?" Same thing happens, employee goes to the back and comes back, 'yeah, it's the same deal with that one. You gonna be up here tommorow?' No, dick. I live an hour away. Eat {censored} and die.

• Members
No, dick. I live an hour away. Eat {censored} and die.

:lol:

You're not missing anything. Guitar Center has occasionally a good deal here and there, but a lot of times there's just {censored}. Such {censored} includes: detuned guitars, horribly set up guitars, broken strings, bumps, knicks, etc. I only go to GC for necessities: Picks, Strings, etc. Maybe if there's a good deal it's okay, but most of the time it's trash.

• Members

There are 4 of them within 50 miles. I really have no desire to visit even with all the gear there. I think the internet kinda kills the urge to visit music stores.

keep your record pure

NEVER GO THERE!

f@Ck Gtr Ctnr

• Members

My closest Guitar Center is about 30 miles away. I had never been in there until a couple weeks ago. I needed a Korg nanoKEY to take on vacation with me and they had one in stock. Since it was a last minute idea and I couldn't wait for shipping, I bought it.

I don't have any problem with Guitar Center, but maybe that's because I've only been there one time.

• Members

I live within walking distance from a GC (and I popped in today).

they sometimes have strange good deals on stuff, but if I need something specific, they never have it.

They have a sansamp bass rack unit up there for $100 that I wanted to buy for no reason (maybe flip it?). Also a really nice, legit '66 super reverb for $1200, but I don't really need any of that stuff.

• Members

there are a couple in NJ i go to when i'm down there, but usually don't have anything great. i just go in and look around at the used stuff and listen to some chugga chugga or nivarna riffs from the kiddies. the one has had a bunch of migrant musicians. apparently the expensive acoustic room is the perfect humidity for cubans & their cigars :facepalm:

• Members

MOST of the local stores in my town suck, they try to rip you off and do all the the time. I went ino to get a tuning peg replaced, they charged me 150!!!

makes me thankful that i have two great independent music stores to deal with in town.

Archived