OT: Recommend me some jazz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Charles Mingus. -> Moanin' : the intro itself is a good kick in the face.
Dizzy Charlie Gillespie.
Charlie Haden.
Charlie Parker.
As you can see, anyone named Charlie, is reaaaaaaaaally reaaaaaally good.
John "Charlie" Coltrane was fired by Miles Charlie Davis coz the former outshined the other.

What do I know? rofl. I'm at the same boat as you. I randomly quit rock/experimental to collaborate with Jazz musicians. I've got so many Standards to learn!!! Arrrrrrrgh.

I can also suggest jazz fusion.
Mahavishnu Orchestra (for Jazz Rock) -{censored}ed up good {censored}e.
Herbie Hancock - I just bop my head everytime I listen to "Thrust" and "HeadHunters". Funked up jazzy {censored}e.

[YOUTUBE]eQFjBZUTODc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

John "Charlie" Coltrane was fired by Miles Charlie Davis coz the former outshined the other.

Trane had a pretty heavy heroin problem circa 1956 - I think thats why Miles let him go. When I he resumed playing with Miles' group in 1958, he left a year later to focus on his own group.

• Members

Trane had a pretty heavy heroin problem circa 1956 - I think thats why Miles let him go. When I he resumed playing with Miles' group in 1958, he left a year later to focus on his own group.

Funny you mention that. I forgot to say something important my jazz mentor told me: Coltraine used heroin so that he can stay up AND REHEARSE EVEN MORE!!! That is {censored}ed up {censored}e.

If a day consists of 24 hours, this guy must've wanted to go beyond that just to practice.

• Members
Funny you mention that. I forgot to say something important my jazz mentor told me: Coltraine used heroin so that he can stay up
AND REHEARSE EVEN MORE!!!
That is {censored}ed up {censored}e.

If a day consists of 24 hours, this guy must've wanted to go beyond that just to practice.

I don't know if heroin is conducive to long practice sessions, but I read that Trane (after he got clean and was playing with Thelonious Monk) would practice all day, go to his gig, listen to a tape of his gig recorded by his wife Naima, and then practice more after the gig. That's discipline.

This album was one of those recordings. The music is a lot better than the cover art.

41EK0R94RRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• Members

YES! He is one of my favorites!He was a nice bridge between the older style of people like Coleman Hawkins and the hard Bop guys like Coltrane and Ornette Coleman. His album "One Flight Up" is a masterpiece.

I got into Dexter much later after hearing Coltrane, Bird, Sonny Rollins, Lester Young et al. for a long while. I guess for me, he seems more like a jazz musicians' musician than an introduction to the genre.

The way he plays behind the beat is unmistakable and beautiful - there's a recording of him playing "Body and Soul" in the 1970s with a European rhythm section - he plays so behind, it leaves you on the edge of your seat. His tone is unmistakable too.

• Members

I got into Dexter much later after hearing Coltrane, Bird, Sonny Rollins, Lester Young et al. for a long while. I guess for me, he seems more like a jazz musicians' musician than an introduction to the genre.

The way he plays behind the beat is unmistakable and beautiful - there's a recording of him playing "Body and Soul" in the 1970s with a European rhythm section - he plays so behind, it leaves you on the edge of your seat. His tone is unmistakable too.

check out the movie "Round Midnight" Dexter essentially plays himself, with lots of killer live performances with Herbie Hancock and John Mclaughlin...good stuff, he was a great talent that left this planet for the better with his music.

Archived