OT: Recommend me some jazz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Frank Morgan

He played with Coltrane back in the day, but spent much of his life in prison for heroin. He was interviewed by Terry Gross on her show Fresh Air on NPR several years ago, and he died just a couple years ago. Here's a link to the interview, which was re-aired a few days after he died: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17354786

He has several albums out, but one of my favorites is City Nights: Live At The Jazz Standard. Good, good stuff.

• Members

Here's a mix of good old and new artists:

(I assume you already have Bitches Brew and Blue Train)

Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus (Love him. He's my avatar. Anything of his is amazing.)

Monk's Dream - Thelonious Monk

Time Out - Dave Brubeck Quartet

Cannonball Adderly

Herbie Hancock

Pat Metheny

Spyro Gyra

The King of Bebop, Charlie Parker

Medeski, Martin and Wood

That's what I've got off the top of my head

• Members

Here's a mix of good old and new artists:

(I assume you already have Bitches Brew and Blue Train)

Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus (Love him. He's my avatar. Anything of his is amazing.)

Time Out - Dave Brubeck Quartet

That's what I've got off the top of my head

+1 on these selections.

Check out Lenny Breau - without whom, we would have no Charlie Hunter.

Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries

Miles - Seven Steps to Heaven

forgive my brainfart, i cant think of anymore at the moment! arg,

• Members

yellowjackets; if you're looking for some modern jazz. i believe larry carlton plays with them.

No, Larry Carlton has never played with them. Jimmy Haslip, their bassist, is a virtuoso, and he sometimes plays guitar, but I don't think they ever had a regular guitarist in the band until 2008, when Mike Stern teamed up with them.

They have evolved from an R&B smooth jazz group through fusion to more of a post-bop sound in recent years. Great band!

• Members

Gotta be specific about the jazz :)

I see Tom Waits and MM&W listed, those guys are great but I guess I don't consider them jazz for some reason. We check out Big Bad Voodoo Daddy every time they come around, and Brian Setzer has some jazzy numbers.

I tend toward older stuff, Django and Grappelli, of course. Also love Count Basie and Cab Calloway. I guess you'd call my jazz preferences big band swing today. Can't abide Miles Davis or most modern jazz.

Archived