Your priorities as a musician?

• Members

Just curious as to what folks around here are really after. Obviously some of us are bedroom rockers, some of us are road dogs, but I'm sure we've all got some idea of where we'd like to be compared to where we really are, and what our primary goals as musicians/artists/guitarists might be.

Me, I know I'm never going to be a super technical shredder, but I want to write great songs and be able to relay the emotion of my lyrics through the sounds coming out of my guitar. I also want to be able to make people dance! I'm a weird combination of some kind of singersongwriter/dance club d'nb/industrial techno/stadium rock anthem wannabe. How much of that will ever be realistic, or achievable, I have no idea... but I'm working on figuring it out!

So, what are YOU trying to do?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Music is my stress release, what I do to relax. I'd love to get gigging again, but that's not really so important. I'd enjoy it for sure -- I love the creation process / group dynamic -- but I could never take an amp out of my house again and be perfectly happy.....

• Members

I want people to lose control of their bowels when confronted by my awesomeness. I want to be gold plated and 16 feet high. I want to be the space-aged Messiah of the Church of Rock.

I'll settle for a couple free beers and some gas money, however.

• Members

i was gonna post something similar to this the other nite.

friday nite, i was doing my gig in palm beach, pretty posh joint.

some dude kept talking to me, complimenting my guitar playing, a really nice guy. you usually run into one or two dudes who just get all up in your face on break, and wanna ask you what strings you use, etc...:facepalm:

anyhow, i ended up sitting down and chatting with guitar fan boi...

he tells me he just got back from iraq a few months ago, combat duty.

his wife took the kids and left him.

he's all alone, and bought himself a guitar to learn how to play to fill up the empty space.

he tells me that listening to music, and going to see live music is ALL he has left.

tells me about how on one trip he watched all six of the guys in his unit get blown to {censored}ing bits, but he survived somehow.

:eek:

and that listening to ME play guitar has really made his nite. :love:

{censored}, it made me feel like such an asshole. all i do is make some good noises come out of a piece of wood with strings on it. and many times i feel like no one is listening, and all that i do matters not one bit.

but then someone like this guy comes along, and gives me a REALITY CHECK.

it's guys like that who make it worthwhile to keep playing.

you never know who is listening, and how much it means to them. :thu:

• Members

I just want to write music that effectively communicates to myself a certain feeling. most of the music i write is like a time stamp in life. i can listen to a song 2 years a later and feel like i did the day i wrote the song. basically my priorities as a musician have nothing to do with anyone else.

• Members

I chose:

Respect for my work as an artist, nothing more.

I want to write songs that will really move people. Guitar playing comes 2nd.

Something else! Please elaborate!

Something else would be "To make a modest living off of music. I'm talking like 20-30k a year, or at least only having to work part time and make half my money playing out"......... which is technically my situation right now as I only work part time and the rest of my time is spent writing with my wife. It's pretty much all me and her want to do with ourselves anyway, and we both have very similar taste/musical instincts, so we'll see where that is in a year or two.

• Members

no real aspirations to gig nationally etc. would love to write music with FRIENDS (not random craiglisters) record some eps, a record, gig houston venues, get into local music scene etc.

if the band got somewhere and had enough to gig outside of houston etc, id love that. no real rush. no offical band right now, couple friends i jam with regularly, currently trying to get an EP done.

:idk:

i consider myself an average-ish (meh) player, not techincally great, dont know ALOT of theory, thats what im trying to improve on. but more importantly, learning to write SONGS more than wanking really fast.

• Members

I just want to be happy playing music, I have no real aspirations. *

I don't want to feel like the skill and gear I have gained over my 14 years of playing is going to waste. I kind of feel that way now though, but I'm working on it.

• Members

I selected "respect," "write songs," "be happy."

More specifically, I want to write interesting guitar instrumentals ala early Don Caballero and Slint (my biggest influences). I have dozens of interesting riffs (interesting to me, anyway), and 2 songs that are about 90% complete (that really is the hard part, isn't it? Turning riffs into songs). I'm definitely going to post some stuff here in the future but nothing is quite ready. At the very least, I'd like to write about 45 min. of music (10, 12 songs, whatever). And I'd like to gig at least once. I'm sure you regular giggers will probably laugh at that but I only started playing guitar when I was 21 and have never been in a band or played music for anyone (other than friends). The thought of performing for strangers is pretty scary but I hope to do it someday.

• Members

i've been writing songs since i was maybe 10 years old (and they really sucked). that's always been the primary driver. guitar playing ability never meant much to me apart from how i could use it to come up with stuff to make songs cooler.

fame, money, girls, etc. was never as important as the music i was making--but i'd be lying if i said i never cared about being famous or using fame to meet models n' {censored}.

but in 2001, i was struck with a big life decision, i was planning to move to NYC (where i had some infrastructure/music biz connections waiting). but i was offered a job as a lobbyist (a rare opportunity for an English lit major)--stable income, interesting line of work. my then-future-wife was moving over from italy to get married and live here in the states. i ultimately decided that in terms of a life--the lobbying gig was a much safer bet. but also musically--at least i rationalized at the time--if i was financially independent, i could record whatever i wanted in my own home, on my own time, without worrying about whether 1 or 1000000 people like it. the music would be completely unrelated to my income, so i wouldn't be forced to edit my songs for a certain type of patronage. in a way, the music would be purer--even if i did sell my soul for a "real job".

anyhow, ultimately i'm very happy with my decision and don't really have any big regrets. but there are times when i wonder how my life would've been if i would've gone to NYC. i don't long to be famous/rich/etc--i'm making the music i want to. it just gets lonely sometimes when the only people who'll ever hear those songs are me and a handful of people. i write songs because it's part of who i am--but at times it feels a little empty knowing that they'll never really impact anyone's life (the way other people's songs have impacted mine). but i suppose being remembered by a handful of people is probably better than being forgetten by 1000000.

• Members
ZOMG did you just lump david gray in with those other douches
:facepalm:

i voted for a. write good songs, b. be happy, and c. some respect, in that order.

yeah, i know....David is AMAZING....i love him much more than the other two. :love:

• Members

and many times i feel like no one is listening, and all that i do matters not one bit.

My dad died a year ago and for about 4-5 months afterward I couldn't write a note because that's the exact feeling I got every time I tried. I totally forgot about the transformative and life affirming feeling you can have just getting something out of your head, having vibrations in time, that presiously existed only in your mind, exist outside of it. I totally forgot that I feel better when I make that happen, regardless of who cares or what follows. I forgot how fun it is to just clear your mind and really be there, reacting to what you are finding. In a way you're leading yourself, taking your own hand and guiding yourself towards something you don't quite know yet.

Music is meditation first, sharing second. If any part of the big, bad "future" comes into your mind while your doing it, you have essentially killed any hope for inspiration, or freedom through it.

Thanks for being honest Bobby. Being a musician or artist is not easy. It can be lonely and disheartening, but when you get rid of any thoughts of what you "should" be, or "could" be, and you just are what you are, doing something that's making you happy, it's alot simpler. I'm glad you had that conversation with that guy.

• Members

Like crash, I make music as a stress relief tool. Long ago I got over the whole "ZOMG FAMOUS MUSICIAN" thing that grips most teenagers. As for the technical thing, well after I fuxed my hand up years ago, that's no longer an option.

• Members

thanks for all the great responses guys.

I should have added another option of "hoping to make it and be the best guitarist I can be," not really fair to make it so black and white with rich and famous and don't care about skills vs want the skills but don't care about fame.

I don't really see myself ever "making it" as a musician, but I would like to have a shot at putting together a great album someday. from there, I just don't know. I honestly *do not* want to be dragged into the touring life, maybe when I was younger, but now... I don't think so.

ultimately I think I just want to be somewhere where I'm happy with what I'm doing and have the satisfaction of being able to listen back to the stuff I've done and feel some sense of completion and not just see all the flaws and things I should have done but didn't.

and yes... I do want to write songs or make music that will truly affect people. music has been my lifeline throughout my entire life--and if I could return some of that karma to someone else... well, that would be about the best thing I could offer, I suppose.

Archived