Your priorities as a musician?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My ultimate goal is to be able to support myself by playing the music that I love. Touring would be amazing, record deal and awesome studio recordings would be cool. But as long as I can play a show and have a {censored} ton of people show up and love my music, I don't particularly care about being rich. I'm all about playing music live and having an audience that is getting into the music and feeding energy back to me.

• Members

I started playing guitar as a middle schooler because it seemed like the cool thing to do. Vague ideas about girls liking me and being a cool kid and really, who knows what went through my sixth grade mind? But I also liked music and enjoyed "plucking around" on my dad's guitar.

Fast forward nine years, and now I play guitar and write songs because I need to do it. It's just a part of me. My aspirations now are just to make music that moves people... not moves everybody, but can really move some people. The important things, like that story about the soldier. But beyond that, I want to make a living out of it. I'm not looking for fame (though part of me hasn't let go of that teenage desire), I just want to be able to give my music the importance it needs. I can't stand the idea of making it just a hobby, so until the real world gives me a kick in the pants, I'll focus on being a full-time musician, or even one with a part-time job that tours and plays shows most of the year.

• Members

I selected "respect," "write songs," "be happy."

More specifically, I want to write interesting guitar instrumentals ala early Don Caballero and Slint (my biggest influences). I have dozens of interesting riffs (interesting to me, anyway), and 2 songs that are about 90% complete (that really is the hard part, isn't it? Turning riffs into
songs
). I'm definitely going to post some stuff here in the future but nothing is quite ready. At the very least, I'd like to write about 45 min. of music (10, 12 songs, whatever). And I'd like to gig at least
once
. I'm sure you regular giggers will probably laugh at that but I only started playing guitar when I was 21 and have never been in a band or played music for anyone (other than friends). The thought of performing for strangers is pretty scary but I hope to do it someday.

I don't think that not having played a gig yet is anything to laugh at. I mean, it's hard {censored}ing work getting a band together, getting good songs together, getting gigs and getting people to come out. And hopefully you can get to do it someday, because it's an amazing experience. I'd play a show every night if I could. Twice a day if need-be.

And yes, finishing songs is ALWAYS the hardest part for me. I have almost 400 songs on my computer that are 90% done (most with drums, bass and two guitars). It's just finishing them to the point where it all flows logically that's the hard part.

• Members

I'm all about playing music live and having an audience that is getting into the music and feeding energy back to me.

I've been on the audience end of this so many times, and would LOVE to be able to experience it as the musician on stage, and maybe I'll get over this but I just don't think I'm cut out for life on the road. I did it as a fan as a teenager and had a blast, but as I get older I just don't have the stamina. I've also seen too many of my friends in bands get dragged down by the drugs and the drinking etc... I dunno. I'd love it if I could make it work FOR me somehow instead of taking too much OUT of me. :thu:

I've seen great musicians become miserable people from what the road has done to 'em... but I guess it is what you make of it.

• Members

And yes, finishing songs is ALWAYS the hardest part for me. I have almost 400 songs on my computer that are 90% done (most with drums, bass and two guitars). It's just finishing them to the point where it all flows logically that's the hard part.

Man, amen to that. I have a bunch of songs that are about 3/4 of the way done... I just can't seem to figure out what they need in order to "click" if that makes any sense. I know they're missing something, just can't put my hand on what. That's my main annoyance. I always feel great after totally finishing a song, it's just getting there that's a bitch.

• Members
:love:

I've been on the audience end of this so many times, and would LOVE to be able to experience it as the musician on stage, and maybe I'll get over this but I just don't think I'm cut out for life on the road. I did it as a fan as a teenager and had a blast, but as I get older I just don't have the stamina. I've also seen too many of my friends in bands get dragged down by the drugs and the drinking etc... I dunno. I'd love it if I could make it work for me somehow instead of taking too much out of me.
:thu:

bull{censored} -- i saw you drive from ft lauderdale to nashville. you are a ROAD DAWG :lol::lol::lol::lol:

going to T's studio on wednesday to start getting everything set up for recording :thu:

• Members

I just want to write music that effectively communicates to myself a certain feeling. most of the music i write is like a time stamp in life. i can listen to a song 2 years a later and feel like i did the day i wrote the song. basically my priorities as a musician have nothing to do with anyone else.

this.

i think it's almost like reaching a zen state of creativity to be able to create something purely for yourself and no-one else. i've only achieved it recently in a 3 piece where there is absolutely no communication of what we are playing.. we just play instinctively and come up with some great stuff that's lost as quickly as it was played.

one of the guys wants to write these freeform post-rock meanderings into songs and gig them.. but i've gone past the point of caring what an audience wants to hear, so would only consider doing a gig if we jammed for however long the 'set' is.. it's all about emotion and connecting with band mates on a level that never happens in a 'rock' band that's trying so hard to get an audience to like them.

i've heard a lot of big, 'known' bands say something similar. ie, play for yourself and people will connect with that. the moment they stopped trying to impress and write music like something else and just be exactly what they themselves are is the moment it clicks and they get recognized.

i'm blabbering.. but yeah.. i think it's important to ditch referencing, trying to impress etc and just make 'your' music for yourself. people will pick up on that and be drawn to it.

• Members

My view:

I'm going to write/record music, regardless. Most people will be ambivalent to what I do. However, there are most certainly people in the world who will dig what I do.

I just want those people to have access/opportunity to hear my music. That's all.

• Members

i have a bunch of songs that are the same way. mostly done, sound great, but need something else that i just haven't found. i go through phases and write batches of songs in different tunings or meter and there are always a few that just lurk around. i really need to get a decent recording setup. i think that's my issue. i have enough for 4 or 5 albums, but i just want to do eps and 7"s of really different stuff.

• Members

Honest answer:

I just want to play for friends and have them sing along. I can only think of a few greater feelings than playing in front of people and having them sing along with you whether it be an original or cover. Doesn't matter. It also doesn't matter if it's at a bonfire or at a coffee shop full of crazies or a restaurant that is paying you in leftover food. It's great to know where ever I play my friends will always be there to listen to me and I do it for them.

• Members
Honest answer:

I just want to play for friends and have them sing along. I can only think of a few greater feelings than playing in front of people and having them sing along with you whether it be an original or cover. Doesn't matter. It also doesn't matter if it's at a bonfire or at a coffee shop full of crazies or a restaurant that is paying you in leftover food. It's great to know where ever I play my friends will always be there to listen to me and I do it for them.

Parah, I like that a lot! I gotta admit I kinda thought you were somebody's alt who just showed up all of a sudden after the big debacle that shall go unspoken, but posts like that are :thu: all the way.

(not like my opinion on such things matters, but there you go anyway :lol:)

• Members

Right now its writing the best tunes I can. I've decided to just work with one of my best friends who is an awesome singer (can do/has done everything from death metal, to barbershop, to choral, pop) on a noisy psych pop project.

So now its this: write killer songs, get the image/package of this project together, record songs, practice a ton, play shows, and promote it as much as possible.

• Members

The concept of being a musician, in the last 50 years or so, has become a big contorted mess really. During the dustbowl times in the 30's there were folk musicians who just traveled around regionally. Same with the original delta blues guys, they played dancehalls, parties, funerals, street corners, whatever. Music and musicians where never supposed to become these huge, mega fame, ego constructs that modern corporate consumer culture has turned it/them all into.

I think in the future it's going to return to that. Radio is dead, the economy is on life support, gas will only get more expensive, and the previous opportunities to "catapult" to a greater audience (record labels, patronage) are few and far between if still in existence at all. I think everything is going to be mostly regional, humble, and more about the audience and the music in the near future. I think it's really already started.

• Members

i want to find a group of like minded people, start writing songs collaboratively, play said songs in front of people.

i dont care about getting a record deal or anything like that i just want to have fun playing music that hopefully others can enjoy

• Members
The concept of being a musician, in the last 50 years or so, has become a big contorted mess really. During the dustbowl times in the 30's there were folk musicians who just traveled around regionally. Same with the original delta blues guys, they played dancehalls, parties, funerals, street corners, whatever. Music and musicians where never supposed to become these huge, mega fame, ego constructs that modern corporate consumer culture has turned it/them all into.

I think in the future it's going to return to that. Radio is dead, the economy is on life support, gas will only get more expensive, and the previous opportunities to "catapult" to a greater audience (record labels, patronage) are few and far between if still in existence at all. I think everything is going to be mostly regional, humble, and more about the audience and the music in the near future. I think it's really already started.

i think you are 100% correct :thu:

• Members

i think you are 100% correct
:thu:

It's one of the reasons I moved to Seattle from LA. LA was driving me crazy and making me broke, and Seattle is right in between 2 other major metro areas (Portland and Vancouver, where I was born) with a {censored} ton of venues between them all. If things go regional at least this is a region I can live in and be happy with :idk:

I can afford to work part time here and write music 4 days a week with no distractions.

• Members

at one point or another in my life i wanted all those things on that list.

but to be honest all I've ever wanted out of music is happiness and the joy of playing. I really love the creation process of working with other musicians and taking each of their creative talents and making the best piece of music possible. But unfortunately for me most of my experiences with bands and music have been drama filled and left me feeling that doing exactly that is an impossible task.

although the fame and money would of been awesome too :lol:

• Members

I want to make music that I'm proud of and I want to play some shows. That's all I've wanted since I've started playing, and I've seen a little of both, and that's enough to make me want to keep playing and working at it.

• Members
at one point or another in my life i wanted all those things on that list.

but to be honest all I've ever wanted out of music is happiness and the joy of playing. I really love the creation process of working with other musicians and taking each of their creative talents and making the best piece of music possible. But unfortunately for me most of my experiences with bands and music have been drama filled and left me feeling that doing exactly that is an impossible task.

although the fame and money would of been awesome too
:lol:

I HATE BANDS.......

I only had one that ever {censored}ing worked, they were all my best friends, and of course they weren't even remotely motivated enough to follow through on it. The other ones I've had have been basically what you described.

Nowadays I've narrowed it down to the best band possible; my wife singing, a laptop for loops, and me playing guitars and synths.

• Members

i just wanna play....

i want to find a group of guys that share the same style of music and aspirations that i do when it comes to playing. i dont care about getting signed or touring the country. if i could get a gig a week locally, nothing big but have the place full and actually react to us and get excited i would be more than happy. If i could get respect from other bands and fans that would be the ultimate life for me. i dont care if we dont get money, maybe a little for gas for gigs a little further away then that would be great... im just tired of people always seeming bored!

*i also want to be proud of what im playing and actually like it.... i dont want to play someone else music or style unless i was activelly in it and really liked it

Archived