Your priorities as a musician?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'm not certain how you're interpreting any of this as hostility
:confused:

This is where your attitude interferes with your reasoning. Noone said you were hostile. You just came across as a pretentious know-it-all asshole is all.

Chillax bro.

• Members

1. Music is free

2. Labels, because of 1, have become largely unsustainable based on previous paradigms.

3. Old venues of "getting known", sans playing out, are dying.

4. New venues of "getting known" are being developed everyday, by ordinary dudes like you and me.

I guess all I'm saying is use your heads, maybe even use a label (albeit cautiously and briefly) if needs be. TRY! But don't live in the past, that {censored} was dead the moment it happened
:idk:

I'm not pretending to know anything, I'm just acknowledging some very real facts that will have to be dealt with one way or another by musicians like you, me, and the other guy who "really wants to make it". Regardless of aspirations (with the exception of "bedroom musician") people are going to have to figure this {censored} out.

History has only had a couple kinds of musicians:

A. The local or regional musician, making a humble living.

and B. The musician backed by a patron. In Beethoven's time the patrons were royals. In our time up until recently they were labels, but the opportunities there have basically dried up to a tenth or less of what they used to be.

If anyone thinks they're going to be anything but "A" then a new paradigm for "B" will have to occur. This isn't "know it all" bull{censored} man, it's what we (you, me, and everyone else) have to deal with in our generation. So we either get really clever communally (key word there, as I don't think anyone is stepping over anyone and "making it" in the near future, I believe musicians are going to have to focus more on scenes and communities) or we just stay local/regional.

• Members
Lower your expectations guys, lower them and you might just reach yourselves through your writing. Lower them because "rockstars" (gag) are dead, period. Lower them because Sonic Youth, or whoever your idols are, "made it" in a very different world, one that no longer exists. Lower them so that you can actually enjoy whatever life Music has in store for you, as I guarantee it will be a very different one from the previous generation's.

And this also sure sounds like you telling people what to do. Maybe you're jaded, maybe you're right, but that's not the point.

SOME people live to dream, and that helps them succeed. They reach for the stars, who gives a {censored} if they only reach the treetops?

And BTW, music is NOT free, unless you steal it. :facepalm:

Playing out is dying? Since when? Where is your proof? You don't have any because it's not true. I see live music all the time and play it as well. Stop making {censored} up dude, sheesh.

• Members

Playing out is dying? Since when? Where is your proof? You don't have any because it's not true. I see live music all the time and play it as well. Stop making {censored} up dude, sheesh.

Never said playing out is dying :confused:

I said the previous modes of getting recognized are dying and new ones are evolving in their place.......... :confused: x 2

• Members

Not even going to worry about the rest of the junk you put up there. Again you didn't provide anything more than your opinion and heresay. You've backed nothing up.

This, however, proves that you're pretty confused. One second you say it's dying, the next it isn't. Which is it??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

3. Old venues of "getting known", sans playing out, are dying.

It's obvious that the music industry is changing, everything in the world evolves. But saying that music is free is just stupid. Then you make {censored} up again and throw the number 1/4 out of your ass. First it was all free, now it's only 1/4 of it that's bought??? Next time it'll be 1/2, etc etc. :facepalm:

In the end it doesn't matter to me at all. But your attitude was what made me respond. Ask yourself why? Because of your tone, and I don't mean guitar.

Maybe I'm wrong and you're the foremost expert in the entire world on the music industry. Maybe you're a liason to the stars for the music industry. Maybe you're the one person in the world that will re-vitalize it. But somehow I doubt all that...

• Members
But saying that music is free is just
stupid
. Then you make {censored} up again and throw the number 1/4 out of your ass. First it was all free, now it's only 1/4 of it that's bought??? Next time it'll be 1/2, etc etc.
:facepalm:

Actually both Radiohead and NIN released the downloading numbers vs how many where paid for. Hint, it wasn't pretty.

Not free? Ok, well, do you have to pay for it? No. And unless you have a delusional faith in mankind you should realize that that means MOST people WILL steal it.

• Members

Actually both Radiohead and NIN released the downloading numbers vs how many where paid for. Hint, it wasn't pretty.

Not free? Ok, well, do you
have
to pay for it? No. And unless you have a delusional faith in mankind you should realize that that means MOST people WILL steal it.

So 2 groups released d/l numbers. Again, proof? No, you just say it wasn't pretty. Frankly, I'd prefer if it were all free and musicians had to make a living by playing live. But that's neither here nor there. The point is once again you make a blanket statement without backing it up.

In the end, everything you've written is merely YOUR OPINION. And that's fine, everyone here deserves to be able to state his/her opinion. Just not AS FACT like you did.

• Members

Since when is it NOT the responsibility of someone making a claim to back it up? AFAIK always has been, always will be. Ever written a paper? It's called citing a source.

No need to be a douche, {censored}.
:facepalm:

So 2 groups released d/l numbers. Again, proof? No, you just say it wasn't pretty. Frankly, I'd prefer if it were all free and musicians had to make a living by playing live. But that's neither here nor there. The point is once again you make a blanket statement without backing it up.

In the end, everything you've written is merely YOUR OPINION. And that's fine, everyone here deserves to be able to state his/her opinion. Just not AS FACT like you did.

Sooooooo, you're lazy. Cool.

I don't need to convince you of anything man. You're not that important :lol:

If you're interested in knowing anything about what's going on out there, it's all available at http://www.google.com/. If you were all that interested you probably already would have looked it up.

Getting out of the house for now. Seattle is currently set to broil and I think I need to get somewhere with AC.

Peace.

Archived