Your priorities as a musician?

• Members
I HATE BANDS.......

I only had one that ever {censored}ing worked, they were all my best friends, and of course they weren't even remotely motivated enough to follow through on it. The other ones I've had have been basically what you described.

Nowadays I've narrowed it down to the best band possible; my wife singing, a laptop for loops, and me playing guitars and synths.

Timbuk Three'd :thu:

bands......well, it's sort of interesting that all the BANDS i was in, and took so SERIOUSLY, never did diddly......and all my wierd little solo projects, like LVX Nova and Stargarden, have continued to sell and be "successful"...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I HATE BANDS.......

I only had one that ever {censored}ing worked, they were all my best friends, and of course they weren't even remotely motivated enough to follow through on it. The other ones I've had have been basically what you described.

Nowadays I've narrowed it down to the best band possible; my wife singing, a laptop for loops, and me playing guitars and synths.

it really does seem that the less people involved makes the best situation for getting stuff done. I really wish i was more talented on guitar so i could do it all myself. stupid me spending all my time playing Bass :facepalm:

practice practice practice. I'm 34 now so I figure by the time I'm 44 i'll be awesome :lol:

• Members
Timbuk Three'd
:thu:

bands......well, it's sort of interesting that all the BANDS i was in, and took so SERIOUSLY, never did diddly......and all my wierd little solo projects, like LVX Nova and Stargarden, have continued to sell and be "successful"...

I want to play Bass for the Bobby D Trio make it happen :thu:

• Members
Timbuk Three'd

HAH! That's awesome man :thu:

I was always the band "leader" or primary writer or what have you. I feel like playing psychologist for myself is taxing enough, playing psychologist for 3 or 4 other guys is just a {censored}ing nightmare. Also I've found that if you have more than two main writers, in 99% of scenarios it just ends up diluting the initial emotion and intent. It's a rarity that you can find someone with the same basic musical instincts.

To be honest I'm pissed off that I'm 29 and have been to a million practices and 1 {censored}ing gig. This year I want nothing more than to have me and my wife play at least 1 show, confuse the living {censored} out of the indie kids, and walk away smiling.

• Members
YES! but only if you play bass thru that hiwatt!

george uses a hiwatt 100 for bass, and it sounds GODLY

I {censored}ing love Hiwatts....... or maybe I should say, "I think I love hiwatts". I use the Hiwatt on my Vetta for about 50% or more of my recordings. No matter how I molest the signal in the end you can usually bank on it being the Line 6 Hiwatt. I can only imagine how awesome the real deal sounds.

• Members

this.

i think it's almost like reaching a zen state of creativity to be able to create something purely for yourself and no-one else. i've only achieved it recently in a 3 piece where there is absolutely no communication of what we are playing.. we just play instinctively and come up with some great stuff that's lost as quickly as it was played.

one of the guys wants to write these freeform post-rock meanderings into songs and gig them.. but i've gone past the point of caring what an audience wants to hear, so would only consider doing a gig if we jammed for however long the 'set' is.. it's all about emotion and connecting with band mates on a level that never happens in a 'rock' band that's trying so hard to get an audience to like them.

i've heard a lot of big, 'known' bands say something similar. ie, play for yourself and people will connect with that. the moment they stopped trying to impress and write music like something else and just be exactly what they themselves are is the moment it clicks and they get recognized.

i'm blabbering.. but yeah.. i think it's important to ditch referencing, trying to impress etc and just make 'your' music for yourself. people will pick up on that and be drawn to it.

this is so right on man!

• Members
YES! but only if you play bass thru that hiwatt!

george uses a hiwatt 100 for bass, and it sounds GODLY

Done! haven't tried it yet on bass but now that she's 100% again its time to try it out. i can only imaging that it will be magical. :eek:

• Members
I was always the band "leader" or primary writer or what have you. I feel like playing psychologist for myself is taxing enough, playing psychologist for 3 or 4 other guys is just a {censored}ing nightmare.

this is exactly my life :facepalm:
and yes that situation does suck total ass. :cry:

• Members

I live to make and play music, and I will do it no matter if I ever 'make it' (to whatever degree, be it have a moderate following or be famous)...

Making it big isn't a priority but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want some sort of recognition or respect for my music, or at least to know that people were into it and it moved them. I would also like to be able to tour, release albums and have at least some sort of following. I don't crave fame or to be a megastar. This being said, I will still love playing and writing music no matter if nobody is into what I do.

• Members

I live to make and play music, and I will do it no matter if I ever 'make it' (to whatever degree, be it have a moderate following or be famous)...

Making it big isn't a priority but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want some sort of recognition or respect for my music, or at least to know that people were into it and it moved them. I would also like to be able to tour, release albums and have at least some sort of following. I don't crave fame or to be a megastar. This being said, I will still love playing and writing music no matter if nobody is into what I do.

Me thinks you're a talented dude with a desire to use weirdo pedals in a wonderful way. You have made it to my "can exist" list.

PS, nobody cares about my list.

• Members

Option 1 but I will never conform to a record companies ideas of what my image should be, I will always have 100% musical freedom. So long as my music and my image stay intact I'll {censored} over anyone and everyone to make it big!

:lol:

Prepare for disappointment, whether you do or don't "make it".

• Members

I would like to make a living off of just playing music... not necessarily fame and fortune, but I would like to do some great tours and make some great albums that people really enjoy. I want to be able to look back on my life in 20 years and be proud that I made it and didn't give up. Music is all I do right now, I don't have any other jobs or anything to back me up... but it's just like anything in life if not moreso, you can't halfass it if you really want to succeed.

• Members

I would like to make a living off of just playing music... not necessarily fame and fortune, but I would like to do some great tours and make some great albums that people really enjoy. I want to be able to look back on my life in 20 years and be proud that I made it and didn't give up. Music is all I do right now, I don't have any other jobs or anything to back me up... but it's just like anything in life if not moreso, you can't halfass it if you really want to succeed.

Schwing.

• Members

I enjoy playing, and making songs. I would love to make songs and play them with other people, but I feel like I would have a hard time leaving a steady job to take the plunge into a music career. If the circumstances were right and I was playing music I really loved, I think I could do it.

• Members

I have no expectations about making a career out of music, but I would really like to spend a few years doing it full time. Make a record or two, maybe a few national and international tours. That would be the best case scenario. Still, I'm not holding my breath.

Archived