Show me Fenders with chunky Gibson-esk necks!!

Kid_A

• Members

Just making sure you know that a larger radius does not mean chunky...

That said, I had a 50's Tele with Bigsby that had a super-thick neck. I miss that one.

Interesting... so what should i look for in a fender if i want a les paul-ish neck?

I still get confused with V/C/D/U shapes and what not, but i think a les paul shape is D isnt it? :confused:

• Members

Interesting... so what should i look for in a fender if i want a les paul-ish neck?

I still get confused with V/C/D/U shapes and what not, but i think a les paul shape is D isnt it?
:confused:

A Gibson would tend to be either a "D" or "U" shape rather than a "C" or "V", because Gibson necks tend to have a bit more shoulder (of course, wild generalization there...) giving it more of a "D" or "U" shape when looking at the cross-section. Most Fender necks also tend to have a smaller nut width than Gibson (1 5/8" or 1.65" vs. 1 11/16" on the Gibsons). I think that's why they feel so different to me, even though some Fenders have some wonderful "U", super-thick necks, like a Nocaster. The good news is that you can usually get an aftermarket neck for a Fender. They're almost always bolt-on, so they're more easily replaceable with something you like more.

The only Fender that I've had that has come close to a Les Paul-ish neck was a Squier Vista Venus, like this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier_Venus

It was fairly big, and it being bound probably made it feel a bit more Gibson-ish. That said, the guitar really didn't sound like a Fender, especially after I put a single-coil sized humbucker in the neck. (It was a really cool guitar, though.)

• Members

A Gibson would tend to be either a "D" or "U" shape rather than a "C" or "V", because Gibson necks tend to have a bit more shoulder (of course, wild generalization there...) giving it more of a "D" or "U" shape when looking at the cross-section. Most Fender necks also tend to have a smaller nut width than Gibson (1 5/8" or 1.65" vs. 1 11/16" on the Gibsons). I think that's why they feel so different to me, even though some Fenders have some wonderful "U", super-thick necks, like a Nocaster. The good news is that you can usually get an aftermarket neck for a Fender. They're almost always bolt-on, so they're more easily replaceable with something you like more.

The only Fender that I've had that has come close to a Les Paul-ish neck was a Squier Vista Venus, like this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier_Venus

It was fairly big, and it being bound probably made it feel a bit more Gibson-ish. That said, the guitar really didn't sound like a Fender, especially after I put a single-coil sized humbucker in the neck. (It was a really cool guitar, though.)

Thanks for the info!

That Venus guitar isnt the best looking, but there is something about it, especially a 12 string version! :love:

Archived