Who here Sets Up their own Guitars???

Naterel

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The internet is right there, dude.

Agreed. All you need to research is there and before you know it you'll be making truss rod adjustments, intonations, swapping tuners and pickups in no time. I do it all myself except for fretwork.

I can... and I do occasionally do "emergency" setups when a client's instrument has "issues", but lately, I just have our drummer do the setups on my fretted instruments - since he's a Fender Custom Shop Master Builder, I figure he might just be a bit more qualified and skilled at it than I am. ;):D

• Members
I can... and I do occasionally do "emergency" setups when a client's instrument has "issues", but lately, I just have our drummer do the setups on my fretted instruments - since he's a Fender Custom Shop Master Builder, I figure he might just be a
bit
more qualified and skilled at it than I am.
;):D

Good to have skilled folks on hand, no doubt about that.:thu:

To get quality results however, doesn't always require a custom title and certification. At least with the more common stuff.

• Members

Regularly: Neck tension, intonation.

Only thing I wont do is aforementioned fret leveling or wiring. I've added a Bigsby to a Tele (which did require shimming the neck), changed pickguards, swapped out bridges. But soldering irons scare me.

And as long as I'm in gripe mode, the R tailpiece on my Ric 610 is a PITB too. Sure, they LOOK cool, but the hidden slots / "hooks" don't retain the string ball ends unless you drop it in and then maintain tension on it...

I love playing that guitar, but hate restringing it.

• Members

And as long as I'm in gripe mode, the R tailpiece on my Ric 610 is a PITB too. Sure, they LOOK cool, but the hidden slots / "hooks" don't retain the string ball ends unless you drop it in and then maintain tension on it...

On my Talman, there is this cool retro looking tremolo system. It has almost a lipstick type tube on the back of it, and I love the way it looks... The only problem is, the string holes on it are super small, and the saddles completely cover the holes. The string forms a sideways U shape coming out of the hole, and back around the saddle and up around. Whenever I want to restring it, I have to disassemble the tremolo, and set it up again. It's a pain.

• Members

Yup... that would just piss me off.... which is one reason why I'll never own that Ric... the main reason being moneyz, though... :lol:

I do all of my own setups, although I admit that a pro could do a much better job than I can. Sure, it's relatively simple stuff, but there's a lot of little things that add up that I just am not capable of doing yet. I can do the pups, electronics, action, pup height, intonation, and all that jazz... but not near as well as a pro could; there's just more fine details that I haven't learned yet.

• Members
so for you people that get your guitars set up from pros, how do you know they are legit?

http://the12thfret.com/

That's where I go when I need something done. They are definitely legit ;)

If I were looking for someone to set my guitar up out of their house that I found on craigslist or something along those lines, I'd ask if I could sit by and watch them do it, and maybe even bring a friend along.

so for you people that get your guitars set up from pros, how do you know they are legit?

They do the work, and when I go to pick it up, I play it. If it's out of tune as I play further up the neck, I'd know. If the action isn't right - if it's too high, or so low and / or if the truss rod is out of whack so that it's fretting out, I'd know...

...and then I'd ask them to correct it. :cop::D

But again, I don't normally hand my guitars off to have work done on them, and when I do, it's only to one of the two guys locally that I really trust.

• Members

I do all my work except acoustic stuff.

ive messed up plenty tho. screwed up some stainless steel frets (that was pretty stupid) and stripped plenty of holes.... its a learning process.....

always good to have a beater around

acoustic work is incredibly challenging to me... and i am afraid of anything involving files, vices, glues and nitro finishing.

• Members

Im just getting ready to refret my first guitar-"orangesix's guitar that has been re-fretted by a six year old i believe" I now have the right tools and the knowledge. I'm just going to take my time and give it my best. I can do set-ups, wiring , router etc.. I only do electric guitars as of now. I have a guitar repair shop right next door to a local music store that has been open for some time. Its only been open for a month and its going well.

• Members

I do my own setups including intonation, bridge saddle height, truss rod, pickup height and polepiece adjustments, changing out certain parts, but I leave fret installation, dressing and nut changing to cetain people only, with use of a plek maching.

I don't require the fret changing that often as I usually don't keep guitars long enough. However with the recent acquistion of a Handle, that guitar will be getting re-fretted as needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived