Dont you just hate some promoters? Rant...

Kid_A

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We had a show once.

The promoter promised all the bands, there were like 6 of us, around $400 a piece.

Yeah. We made it clear we weren't leaving without some form of payment. We got $20 and gtfo. Now, there were other bands there that probably beat his ass into the ground. I don't know what happened after that.

Other than that, we don't really do "promoters" b/c they always {censored} you

• Members
really? place to sleep, food, booze, and gas money? wait a minute...you were playing at your parents house werent you?
:cop:

thats not a real gig. thats visiting your parents.
:)

naaah, my parants hate good music... they listen to this {censored}:

d48829naxmr.jpg
B00019777O.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:facepalm:

Actually, my mates boyfriend is in the hours (opening for U2 this weekend) they are not getting paid, no guestlist at all either... bit harsh.

• Members

Ultimately, unless people are coming to see you in big enough numbers, you're just another guy in a band, so why should they treat you well?

Its that {censored}ty elitist attitude (not yours but promoters/venues) thats not on.

Putting on a show/gig means a lot to people like me and others who play their hearts out every week.

Im not asking for diva demands, just a beer to say thanks for playing our night... is that a lot to ask?

• Members

When we last played for Bugbear we brought about 40 people and they just {censored}ed off at the end without giving us a penny. {censored} Bugbear.

Where you playing tonight Daz? We're playing The Good Ship in Kilburn again on Friday, John there is well alright.

• Members

Would you settle for a coke? There's free refills... :poke:

ha... i thought that comment might come back to bite me. You know what i mean though...

Hmmm, i think Promoters is getting lost in translation with the US folk... Giging in the UK is mainly through promoters who put on nights... you very rarely deal with a venue, unless you put on your own nights... which Mr.Chrisos, we have been thinking for a while... just a one off like..

Loobs, im playing Proud Gallery tonight.... Ahhhh bugbear... yea i had some run-ins with them in my old band, never liked em. The good ship is a cool place, what is the night called on Friday?

• Members

Its that {censored}ty elitist attitude (not yours but promoters/venues) thats not on.

Putting on a show/gig means a lot to people like me and others who play their hearts out every week.

Im not asking for diva demands, just a beer to say thanks for playing our night... is that a lot to ask?

darren, no...cause

YOU

• Members

When we last played for Bugbear we brought about 40 people and they just {censored}ed off at the end without giving us a penny. {censored} Bugbear.

Where you playing tonight Daz? We're playing The Good Ship in Kilburn again on Friday, John there is well alright.

Bugbear, that takes me back. I'm guessing not much has changed. John at The Good Ship was a real nice guy, to bad the gig was a bit of a disaster on our side (ended with nearly sacking the drummer).

Do it Daz, put on a show! There are so many great venues in this city and the venues themselves are normally good people. Just make sure it's a place with great sound.

I'm sensing a potential HCFX line-up night may well be on the cards....

• Members

Hmmm, i think Promoters is getting lost in translation with the US folk... Giging in the UK is mainly through promoters who put on nights... you very rarely deal with a venue, unless you put on your own nights... which Mr.Chrisos, we have been thinking for a while... just a one off like..

Most indie/all-ages shows work that way in the US. Most venues have someone who books bands and is still basically a 'promoter'... although the bands are expected to promote the show.

Did you get paid for the gig? How much was the cover? In the US it's normal for bands to get 100% of the door unless you're in LA or NYC.

Archived