Explain to me why a Hiwatt (or a derivative) is worth it.

amarr1

• Members

A good one is an experience in and of itself. Both massive girth AND fidelity. A rare combination.

Also, these people seem to like pedals, for which the style of amp in question is the ideal platform.

Find one. Play it.

Well said! And 100% the truth! +1'd

• Members

they aren't worth it at all - they are basically a pignose that plugs into the wall. please make sure to pass the word on to everyone you know, so the prices might come down a bit.
:idea:

That is how I feel about SUNN amps. My model T and my HIWATTs are great contrasts but it'd be hard to get rid of any of em. I think I just like various amps.

The HIWATT's(least vintage w/ original partridge trannies.. theres the real magic:thu:) are loud, high headroom, very full frequency response(thanks Partridge transformers).. they can be less warm and give so much detail in their quick and dynamic attack they show yer messy playing.

I don't give a rats ass about fx loops I like putting modulation and ambient fx straight into the input. With the 4 inputs you can mix the inputs in various ways; ( i tried a y splitter cable into the bottom 2 then a patch cable combining the top 2 and heard a difference!:idea:), even use ambient fx thru the other inputs.

These things are built tough to last for years, decades... back from a company that used very reliable equipment that was available at the time... have things improved today? I dunno, but china wouldn't be my first bet.:facepalm:

• Members

Apparently you need a red SG and a cool dark red background too... haha

^ Not necessary, see:

IMG_4514.jpg

Seriously, this thread is 100% silly. Either this type of amp appeals to you, or it doesn't. If it does, then HIWATTs are awesome.

• Members

They are great amps. I spent the last couple months gassing for a vintage fender like a silverface or blackface twin for more headroom.

I finally got to go to the store to play them and they sounded great. The store also happened to have a mint original 72 hiwatt combo, so I figured I'd see what people are so excited about. I basically went home knowing that Hiwatt was what I was looking for all along. They are clear, punchy, and full sounding but pretty unforgiving too. I liked it better than the fenders I played, and that was just the clean tones, the crunch is legendary. I guess you could say they are the flavor of the month, but I wanted one because I was lucky enough to try one and realized they fit my playstyle perfectly.

Amazing cleans for tapping and post rock stuff. It's really forcing me to improve my technique too, but totally worth it.

Archived