digging the Boss OD-3

southpaw pete

• Members

Yeah, I was just about to give up on Boss overdrives... While I know they serve their purposes and many people can make great music using them, for my setup they haven't quite been working for me.

The SD-1 had the bass roll off.

the BD-2, while good for a boost with a little character, added too much fizz for me when the gain is up.

The Dyna Gain seemed more like a dist than od to me, and kinda gimmicky since they marketed it not on it's tone, but just that it is dynamic according to guitar volume and picking.

I've heard some good reviews about the od-3... and today I saw one on sale used at a store for a good price, with a good return policy if I didn't like it. So I grabbed it. Wow - I am actually impressed. It is quite transparent, with the lows still there, no mid hump, and nice highs. I think it's a keeper.

I could get close to the same tone with my Bad Monkey, if I cranked the highs and boosted the lows a bit (cleared out some of the mid-hump that way). But still not quite as transparent as the OD-3.

Any other fans out there?

• Members

Love mine. It's not currently on my 'board though. I am having some space/power issues. I'm probably gonna ditch my Wah and replace it with the OD-3.

I have a Analogman TS9 on my board now, and I would replace it with the OD-3, but the OD-3 doesn't sound as good feeding the Dirty Little Secret. Decisions....decisions....

My guitar into the Tone Press, then into the OD-3 and my AD99....WOW! LOVE that combo!

• Members

what pickups are you guys using with it? i've installed some really hot jazzmaster pickups in Jagmaster and i'm starting to think i need to test these pedals with my guitar rather than whatever the store guy hands me.. moreso than ever.

• Members

I've played one in the store and it's definitely my favorite BOSS dirt, I felt it had a bit more gain than my Bad Monkey, but how do these two stack? I love pairing my RAT with the BM but it's a sound that has way too much saturation going on, I need the same sustain and grit but not as much fuzzyness, do you think the OD-3/BM combo is the ticket?

• Members

{censored} you, guys. Now you have me gassing for a Boss dirtbox. WTF, HCFX???

THIS. I've already watched five demos since I read this thread 30 minutes ago and I like it.

I also blame my JC-50 gas on HCFX...

And my POD gas...

And my DOD FX-17 gas...

And my Memory Boy gas...

...ugh

• Members

The OD-3 is Boss' best OD by far. I tried the Monte Allum's mod on it and liked it better stock.

+1! I also didn't like the Monte Mods. I did like the chip upgrade very much, which I did first, but regretted doing the rest of the mods. The stock Boss OD-3 is a really good low priced overdrive.

• Members

I've played one in the store and it's definitely my favorite BOSS dirt, I felt it had a bit more gain than my Bad Monkey, but how do these two stack? I love pairing my RAT with the BM but it's a sound that has way too much saturation going on, I need the same sustain and grit but not as much fuzzyness, do you think the OD-3/BM combo is the ticket?

Stacks great with the bad monkey (or other ts variations as well I'm sure). Nice and thick for solos. I wondered how it would stack with the BD2 as a boost, and it was just to bright and fizzy for me. But the BM works very nicely with it.

• Members

Stacks great with the bad monkey (or other ts variations as well I'm sure). Nice and thick for solos. I wondered how it would stack with the BD2 as a boost, and it was just to bright and fizzy for me. But the BM works very nicely with it.

Sweet, I was about to pull the trigger on a SD-1 but decided to wait for an OD-3 to pop up

• 1 year later...

Archived