The Fulltone Tube Tape Echo

• Members

The TTE is amazing. I love mine.

If you want more "flutter" ask Fulltone for a plastic corner roller. The first versions were shipped with these and they added a little more. Run it on slow speed with the plastic roller and it has a very lush modulation.

I'm betting you will stay very happy with this thing.

Thanks for the heads-up on that. I didn't know such a thing existed.

I've done a bit of reading up on this thing, and apparently the tapes wear out pretty quickly. I really would like to avoid spending $29+shipping every time I need a replacement.

Does anyone know the best stock of mastering tape to use?

Does anyone have directions on how to splice it together in a loop?

Is this really more cost-effective than just buying the cartridges?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't use mastering tape. Mastering tape is like sandpaper on your heads and will wear them out in no time flat. The best tape to use is out of 8 track tape cartridges or radio station "carts". It's lubricated and designed for tape loops. You can usually find stacks of them at thrift stores for less than a dollar a piece. A bulk eraser will erase them in seconds and save you $$$ in the end.

All you really need is two EP loop cartridges. One as a backup in case one breaks down on stage.

Here's a link on how to reload your own cartridges. Caution, if you notice he's using reel to reel tape. Two things, 1: there's very few types of reel tape that are acceptable to use. The stuff has to be lubricated and most of the old stock is no good. 8 tracks from the 70's and 80's were better made tape quality wise (better method of manufacturing) than the stuff prior. It's the sure bet. 2: you'll notice in his photo tutorial of method 1 he's telling you to put the backside down when in fact it should be the other way. The play side of the tape reel is face down when the reel is wound up. He must wonder why his echos sound so muddy and why he keeps having to get new heads all the time. :lol:

http://www.regiscoyne.com/echoplex/plex_cart_reloading/

• Members
Don't use mastering tape. Mastering tape is like sandpaper on your heads and will wear them out in no time flat. The best tape to use is out of 8 track tape cartridges or radio station "carts". It's lubricated and designed for tape loops. You can usually find stacks of them at thrift stores for less than a dollar a piece. A bulk eraser will erase them in seconds and save you $$$ in the end.

All you really need is two EP loop cartridges. One as a backup in case one breaks down on stage.

Here's a link on how to reload your own cartridges. Caution, if you notice he's using reel to reel tape. Two things, 1: there's very few types of reel tape that are acceptable to use. The stuff has to be lubricated and most of the old stock is no good. 8 tracks from the 70's and 80's were better made tape quality wise (better method of manufacturing) than the stuff prior. It's the sure bet. 2: you'll notice in his photo tutorial of method 1 he's telling you to put the backside down when in fact it should be the other way. The play side of the tape reel is face down when the reel is wound up. He must wonder why his echos sound so muddy and why he keeps having to get new heads all the time.
:lol:

http://www.regiscoyne.com/echoplex/plex_cart_reloading/

Thanks for the info, sethlover :thu::cool:

8track tape, eh? Hmmmm... that's hilarious. Time to scavenge.

• Members

why.

Not speaking for Fender&EHX4ever, I can tell you why I would want one. Some of those tape units have a very nice preamp (tube or solid state) that can be use to push your amps preamp into some pretty sweet overdrive. It acts as an extra gain stage. Also one less pedal needed on your board. Tubes or solid state is a matter of preference.

• Members
Not speaking for Fender&EHX4ever, I can tell you why I would want one. Some of those tape units have a very nice preamp (tube or solid state) that can be use to push your amps preamp into some pretty sweet overdrive. It acts as an extra gain stage. Also one less pedal needed on your board. Tubes or solid state is a matter of preference.

I just like the whole Rube Goldberg appeal of tube tape echoes. It fascinates me. Also, I like having the option of running an all-tube path - BlackFinger > Wiggler > FullTone TTE > Fender Vibroverb > Rode NTK microphone > 12AX7 Mic Pre > recording device. Why not? :idea:

• Members
I just like the whole Rube Goldberg appeal of tube tape echoes. It fascinates me. Also, I like having the option of running an all-tube path - BlackFinger > Wiggler > FullTone TTE > Fender Vibroverb > Rode NTK microphone > 12AX7 Mic Pre > recording device. Why not?
:idea:

alright. i thought you were against digital delay or something.

• Members

I just like the whole Rube Goldberg appeal of tube tape echoes. It fascinates me. Also, I like having the option of running an all-tube path - BlackFinger > Wiggler > FullTone TTE > Fender Vibroverb > Rode NTK microphone > 12AX7 Mic Pre > recording device. Why not?

Speaking of EHX tube gear, have you tried the Hot Tubes or LPB-2UBE? They look really interesting... I really like the idea of having a loud, high voltage and headroom tube-based overdrive with EQ control. It sounds like what my ears are asking for. I can't find many clips or reviews of these pedals though...

And about the TTE, the more I hear, the more I'd love to own one (not that I could afford one). The only real reservation I think I'd have would be the maintenance... I wouldn't want it to start squealing or something as I were playing... It's an amazing unit though, definitely... :thu:

• Members
Thanks for the info, sethlover
:thu::cool:

8track tape, eh? Hmmmm... that's hilarious. Time to scavenge.

Hey I forgot to make mention that 8track tape is lubed on both sides. The backing being lubed helps prevent the tape from getting stuck inside the cartridge from winding and static electricity both a source of cartridge issues including tape breakage. The play side being lubed helps with the longevity of your tape heads. Open loop units (like the Space Echo) don't have to worry about double sided lubed tape just the play side.

• Members
Speaking of EHX tube gear, have you tried the Hot Tubes or LPB-2UBE? They look really interesting... I really like the idea of having a loud, high voltage and headroom tube-based overdrive with EQ control. It sounds like what my ears are asking for. I can't find many clips or reviews of these pedals though...

And about the TTE, the more I hear, the more I'd love to own one (not that I could afford one). The only real reservation I think I'd have would be the maintenance... I wouldn't want it to start squealing or something as I were playing... It's an amazing unit though, definitely...
:thu:

I have the Hot Tubes. It's a pedal that is very dependent on its interaction with your amp - so results may vary a lot. It sounds great through my Fenders and my Dirt Road Specials. It's very versatile, from boost, to OD, to distortion, to full on fuzz. The EQ section is very unique because it is paracylic, so it behaves almost like a parametric EQ. When you sweep the bass knob, you get a wah effect. Great for cocked wah tones.

I"m pretty sure all tape echo units require a lot of maintenance. I know that my Space Echo does. It's recommended that the playheads, tension pads, and rollers are cleaned regularly. Tapes must be replaced regularly. I just purchased a small stock of NOS blank lubricated polyester 8 track cassettes. I'll be purchasing a splicing kit soon.

Inconsistency and irregularities are the essence of tape echoes, and the reason why anyone should want one. For that reason, I probably would not travel much with them, if at all. I go to my digital and BBD pedals when I want predictability, consistency, and portability.

• Members

I have the Hot Tubes. It's a pedal that is very dependent on its interaction with your amp - so results may vary a lot. It sounds great through my Fenders and my Dirt Road Specials. It's very versatile, from boost, to OD, to distortion, to full on fuzz. The EQ section is very unique because it is paracylic, so it behaves almost like a parametric EQ. When you sweep the bass knob, you get a wah effect. Great for cocked wah tones.

I"m pretty sure all tape echo units require a lot of maintenance. I know that my Space Echo does. It's recommended that the playheads, tension pads, and rollers are cleaned regularly. Tapes must be replaced regularly. I just purchased a small stock of NOS blank lubricated polyester 8 track cassettes. I'll be purchasing a splicing kit soon.

Inconsistency and irregularities are the essence of tape echoes, and the reason why anyone should want one. For that reason, I probably would not travel much with them, if at all. I go to my digital and BBD pedals when I want predictability, consistency, and portability.

your music room must be like Nirvana! How the heck do you decide what pedals to play?

• Members

Hey Guys,

Don't be afraid of the maintenance thing.

I bought a TTE when they first came out. I have number 00530. I bring it to practices, it's been to a couple of gigs.

I am very lazy with the maintenance, and it still sounds great. I have changed the cartridge only a handful of times. I have done the head cleaning and demagnitizing only a handful of times as well.

It has even taken a fall one day. I have used it almost everyday that I have had it.

There is no squeeling noises or anything of that nature. Just those sweet, warm, fluttery delays, just like they should be.

I am not a rich man that can sink a grand into a delay. I just made a wise gear decision after I learned my lesson from a bad gear decision. I bought a LP many years ago through a payment plan through Sam Ash. I just had to have one.

I finally got that thing payed off, and realized I just didn't bond with it very well. It sat under the bed in the case for a couple of years, and then I decided to sell it and buy something useful. I sold the LP for a substantial lose, and bought the TTE.

I use the TTE everyday, and don't regret buying it one bit. Besides my Strats, it is without a doubt, the best piece of gear I've ever bought.

I would imagine, if you just changed the tape once in a while, and never did anything else to it, it would still sound amazing.

• Members

I just like the whole Rube Goldberg appeal of tube tape echoes. It fascinates me. Also, I like having the option of running an all-tube path - BlackFinger > Wiggler > FullTone TTE > Fender Vibroverb > Rode NTK microphone > 12AX7 Mic Pre > recording device.
Why not?

rickr.jpg

EY DOLLA DOLLA BILLZ

Archived