This forum, bias and "Clone Threads"

LR Weizel

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

because its the effects forum?

There's a DIY forum for stuff like that and plenty of other resources available to people that want to do clones and DIY stuff. I don't see why the OP is all butt-hurt that he got bant in this forum...

• Members

I'm inclined to believe that it has more to do with THIS (i.e., the absence of the "cloned" pedal manufacturer - and the concomitant lack of bitching on the behalf of that manufacturer - from the boards) then any sort of absurd kickback system or lionization of boutique designers. Granted, I don't spend every waking hour on these boards but:

Vex definitely has a reputation for being belligerent rather than restrained when provoked on these boards. And sometimes playing the antagonist without provocation. I shouldn't use the phrase reputation as I've seen these things first hand in HCFX, but I don't feel that this thread needs to devolve into a Vex bash-a-thon.

That said, I'm sure no one (NO ONE) is more active in reporting those threads to Phil than he is as is attempting to protect his brand. I can't find fault with him for doing so. And I can't find fault with Phil for lending a sympathetic ear. Or maybe he just has as low of a tolerance for bitching as I (we) do. I dunno. I do find fault with the suggestion that this is a privilege reserved for Vex. I don't see that. In the examples you listed, I'd conjecture that there's an absolute paucity of complaints from the manufacturers who have been cloned to the powers that be around here. I haven't seen Leo Fender on these boards in ages; I think he might've moved over to TGP.

Anyway, I DO agree that there might be cause for debate as to whether complaining about clone threads should be reason enough for them to be moved. It rubs me the wrong way, you see. I'd rather preserve freedom of information in all quarters of the Internet, but I'll concede that this is a grey area, and that this is a private enterprise and is therefore not obligated to observe said freedoms, and that radicalism really has no place in a {censored}ing guitar forum. Still, we're practically tripping over all the Vex schematics on the web so, make your own clones if you want them people. There's enough overcharging going on out there to begin with.

/unnecessary indulgence of this somewhat open and shut case.

You make some fair points, but I guess you haven't seen some of the stuff regarding Zvex. I'm mainly aggrivated as his actions in a previous thread make it hard for some of my builders who are friends to talk about their products, and also the fact that Zvex got away with being a complete ass to Tom/Fuzzhugger for about 20 pages before Phil could give a toss. If you missed that thread you might not see what I'm talking about.

The bigger issue though, is the fact that Phil's ruling is beyond insanity without a list of specific clones we cannot talk about. How do we know which builders want them pulled? Or even what products? Maybe builders are okay with more expensive clones of their lower selling pedals, but cheaper ones of their popular gear puts them too much out of pocket? We have no idea of this information. Builders are fickle. We can't obey vague rules.

• Members

Sorry, I didn't read your post that you got bant for, so I can't say whether you posted schematics or not. But... That's what the DIY forum and other websites are for. I read this forum to find out about stuff that's coming out or old vintage stuff that would sound the way I want. Then I go to a DIY resource and see if I could do it myself, and maybe modify the circuit if I feel like it. It's not that hard. So you've stumbled on that this is taboo on this forum. Big deal. Go to one of the other 100s of DIY resources and post away.

I didn't post the schematics and we're practically swimming in them. I posted a link to a German Zvex clone I had no idea was against the rules. I thought it'd annoy him a bit and I'd get to show he gets preferential treatment. I didn't know it was against the rules, and my ban probably would have been shorter if it wasn't.

Yet people are telling me to follow the rules anyway. Sorry, but I cannot respect people like that. Either make clear which clones are against the rules, or don't ban discussion of any of them. I'm sorry Phil but we're not that {censored}ing psychic.

• Members

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent thread were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. -

You had some weird Vzex/Devi aversion since you started here. Seriously, that shiz got real old back in the day and resulted with Devi and Vzex both leaving.Your anti Vzex agenda is so transparent with your numerous popshots you made yourself into nothing more than attention junky troll fiend. I'm glad since your ban was up a few days ago you waited until Vzex was actively posting to write your ultimate troll manifesto, hoping to finally draw out your ultimate target, the person you believe you must attack in order to gain the respect of your obsession, Devi- mostly though-

I hope you disappear like a fart in the wind that you are.

• Members

I didn't post the schematics and we're practically swimming in them. I posted a link to a German Zvex clone I had no idea was against the rules. I thought it'd annoy him a bit and I'd get to show he gets preferential treatment. I didn't know it was against the rules, and my ban probably would have been shorter if it wasn't.

Yet people are telling me to follow the rules anyway. Sorry, but I cannot respect people like that. Either make clear which clones are against the rules, or don't ban discussion of any of them. I'm sorry Phil but we're not that {censored}ing psychic.

Lucky for you there's not a "no crybaby" rule...

• Members

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent thread were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. -

You had some weird Vzex/Devi aversion since you started here. Seriously, that shiz got real old back in the day and resulted with Devi and Vzex both leaving.Your anti Vzex agenda is so transparent with your numerous popshots you made yourself into nothing more than attention junky troll fiend. I'm glad since your ban was up a few days ago you waited until Vzex was actively posting to write your ultimate troll manifesto, hoping to finally draw out your ultimate target, the person you believe you must attack in order to gain the respect of your obsession, Devi- mostly though-

I hope you disappear like a fart in the wind that you are.

Do you really think I'm going to respond to this properly? I said I wouldn't. Also, do you really think a vicious post like this helps your side of the argument? Think about it.

You still don't even try to prove me wrong, so I see nothing to respond to.

• Members

Dude, there's no rule against talking about clones. The reason your link was considered so bad was that the company producing those clone kits is so blatantly infringing on Vex's trademarks and trade dress that it's likely illegal.

You need to understand that. Vex could likely care less if some DIYer builds a copy of one of his pedals, what he gets upset about is when unscrupulous crooks steal his name and brand to sell their counterfeit products. There's a big difference there, and that's what it comes down to. It's nothing to do with cloning and everything to do with counterfeiting.

• Members

Lucky for you there's not a "no crybaby" rule...

Just to use this post as an example and elaborate,

"Crybaby", "whining", "Butthurt", "bawww" are words used by people to oppose critical thinking and using them seriously is one of the greatest crimes you can commit on an internet discussion forum. If you have such a problem with someone complaining about corruption and not "sucking it up", you're the problem, not them.

Some forums DO have rules against those words(/v/ filters them, lol), no joking. It would be much more productive in this forum for the mods to police that than Zvex clones.

• Members

Dude, there's no rule against talking about clones. The reason your link was considered so bad was that the company producing those clone kits is so blatantly infringing on Vex's trademarks and trade dress that it's likely illegal.

You need to understand that. Vex could likely care less if some DIYer builds a copy of one of his pedals, what he gets upset about is when unscrupulous crooks steal his name and brand to sell their counterfeit products. There's a big difference there, and that's what it comes down to. It's nothing to do with cloning and everything to do with counterfeiting.

Then why is the site still up? How am I meant to know this? I genuinely had no idea it was against the rules.

If it was illegal, why is it still there? Germany doesn't particularly have crazy copyright laws. Even if it does, how am I supposed to be aware of this? Phil needs to make it clear somehow.

Also, what about the way Line6 stuff has a "Seek Wah" mode? And it says it's modeled on one of his pedals? It even uses a picture in the M9 manual? That's using his name and image to sell the pedal, and he complained about that too, actually, but didn't succeed. The clones don't use the word "Zvex" for the image of the pedal.

So no talking about M13/FM4/M9 then? Good luck.

• Members

"Crybaby", "whining", "Butthurt", "bawww" are words used by people to oppose critical thinking and using them seriously is one of the greatest crimes you can commit on an internet discussion forum. If you have such a problem with someone complaining about corruption and not "sucking it up", you're the problem, not them.

Some forums DO have rules against those words(/v/ filters them, lol), no joking. It would be much more productive in this forum for the mods to police that than Zvex clones.

It's not your fault.

• Members
you didnt get banned just for the clone thing. you were attacking him personally and going post to post quoting each of his posts attacking him. you deserved to be banned, youre an idiotic jackass*.
:)

*my opinion, not a fact.

You're probably right, I think I posted an obvious clone "5 knob fuzz" or something maybe a year ago with a few of these:

:cop::cop::cop:

and was given no punishment. He had to have done more then that.

• Members

What's it like being that far up your own ass? Can you still walk? I assume you're standing and typing as sitting down would be pretty much out of the question.

• Members

If you had proof of said "corruption," then maybe you'd have a leg to stand on. You got banned and are complaining about it saying it's the gov'm'nt/Zvex/Phil/Scientologists. Your critical thinking is on par with tin foil hats to stop the alien invasion. You don't have any proof of your contention, and are choosing to ignore any rebuttal to your posts by saying "You don't get it."

So. Stop being a butthurt crybaby and quit whining. You had a temp ban. Get over it.

• Members

It's funny that you expect social justice on an internet forum.

Facts:

You're generally unliked around here. Sorry, but that should be enough of a reason to stop picking fights.

One shouldn't be allowed to blatantly clone something so specific (even down to the logo design).

Phil does as Phil sees fit. It he were unjust, people wouldn't come here as often.

If you don't like it here, GTFO. Sorry, man, but if you're manifesting your deep-rooted disagreements with American justice into these arguments about pedal builders (It's actually Paul C, not Timmy C, but I knew what you meant), then you might want to look into politics. I'd try reading a few books (start out small), and maybe join some political activism groups. But remember, man, take baby steps. You wouldn't want to try to learn too much too fast.

• Members
It's funny that you expect social justice on an internet forum.

Facts:

You're generally unliked around here. Sorry, but that should be enough of a reason to stop picking fights.

One shouldn't be allowed to blatantly clone something so specific (even down to the logo design).

Phil does as Phil sees fit. It he were unjust, people wouldn't come here as often.

If you don't like it here, GTFO. Sorry, man, but if you're manifesting your deep-rooted disagreements with American justice into these arguments about pedal builders (It's actually Paul C, not Timmy C, but I knew what you meant), then you might want to look into politics. I'd try reading a few books (start out small), and maybe join some political activism groups. But remember, man, take baby steps. You wouldn't want to try to learn too much too fast.

+1

:snax:

Archived