A fuzz pedal for guitarists that don't like fuzz....(& effect options)

petejt

• Members

A spot has opened up on my pedalboard, so I am looking to fill it in...

And I am really not sure what to get? :confused: My board is essentially a modulation board, since modulation is my most favourite effect- Two chorus pedals, a flanger, a delay, an EQ, and a polyoctave (POG).

And I also have a separate rackmounted chorus/delay unit, a parametric EQ, and an Accutronics reverb tank in the amp.

You see, I don't really like compression. I have considered it, but find I just don't need it- my pickups are plenty hot & beefy for my needs, my amp compresses the signal enough, I like to hear my playing dynamics, and I'm not a fan of that 'clicky' sound much- particularly with chorus (which is a BIG part of that pop 80s chorus stuff, I may be a chorus fan but not the bright clicky stuff).

I don't need more delay. I have a Boss DD20 which is stereo, but I've "stacked" the delay by running the A channel output into the B channel. And also one of my chorus pedals has an Echo function that works great for 'go-to' delay and ambient echo trails.

My Boss DD20 satisfactorily covers my looping needs.

I did think of tremolo, but I get that and more from my other chorus pedal by using its Pitch Modulation with vibrato.

I've been considering phaser effects, but somehow it just isn't gelling with me...:idk: . I'd like it to, but, well I don't know. I really like that dark fat thick gooey sort of phaser like on Phase90s, but from what I have heard they don't do it exactly the same. And I can almost replicate that sort of effect by stacking chorus effects...

My POG covers the organ effects........It's a fantastic pedal, love it to bits, but I don't want multiples of the same effect, outside of chorusing of course.

I could go on more, but will tackle the gain issue now.

Take note that my chief amp is my Mesa/Boogie MarkIV amp head. I've got gobs of gain, so don't need a dirt box or an overdrive to get it to sustain. The thing is so damn liquidy and sustaining when cranked. The Rhythm 1 channel does awesome crystalline clean tones and some nice fendery grit too by hitting the strings hard. And it can get chicken-pick tone if I want it.

The only issue I have is with its Rhythm 2 channel, which I'd like to be more 'Marshall Plexi'-like. I want some of that bark. Mesa/Boogie's Electradyne pretty much nails that particular range tone, and of course any old Marshall JMP amp head (which I once had the opportunity to acquire and threw it away :facepalm: ). I need to try some EL34s but regardless I am struggling. I think I will get there...

Anyway, it would be nice to have a completely different type of distortion sound, hence why I am considering Fuzz. I don't particularly like most fuzz tones, or anything fuzzy & hairy in general...... But there is something in there that I reckon is worth exploring.

I'd like something a little bit murky and fuzzy, yet not incoherent, not flubby, not hollow, not smudgey, not blubbery, not too woolly. A fuzz that still retains some definition in the tone. If it can work well with the Rhythm 2 channel to fuzz it up a bit, and then turn the fuzz pedal off for the Marshall bark, that'd be GREAT!

So, what can I do? Is there a fuzz pedal that would suit me?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Based on that post you've already sold yourself a fuzz...

Yeah but I don't know which one.

Whenever I get Fuzz GAS it gets shot down after listening to demonstrations of fuzz pedals....

I wouldn't mind one that those the big doom sound, but would like more versatility in it., and that can ADD to my ensemble of sounds rather than be a redundancy since I managed to get doom sounds using my POG, the MarkIV alongside the MS2/50-50 setup and some slight chorusing/flanging & a touch of delay.

While writing the thread I had/ve a Lovetone Cheese Source in mind- would that work for me? I don't know too much about it or know where I can get them..

• Members

It's not a purist's fuzz, but I have an EHX Double Muff, which I love. It's essentially a sort of fuzzy OD pedal from what I can gather?

Anyway, whatever it is, it's far too fuzzy to be an overdrive, but too overdrive to be an ordinary fuzz. It's a really great pedal: It's got tons of output volume, and has plenty of grit and bite if you want a more 'fuzzy' sort of sound, but when wound up has enough bass response and thickness to sound vaguely reminiscent of a Muff, though it isn't a Big Muff. It's a very different unit.

Anyway, it was my introduction to the wonderful world of fuzz, and I love it. At any price it sounds good, and for what you pay, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it. :thu:

However, beware: It doesn't like buffers or wahs (without fuzz-friendly technology I assume).

• Members

It's not a purist's fuzz, but I have an EHX Double Muff, which I love. It's essentially a sort of fuzzy OD pedal from what I can gather?

Anyway, whatever it is, it's far too fuzzy to be an overdrive, but too overdrive to be an ordinary fuzz. It's a really great pedal: It's got tons of output volume, and has plenty of grit and bite if you want a more 'fuzzy' sort of sound, but when wound up has enough bass response and thickness to sound vaguely reminiscent of a Muff, though it
isn't
a Big Muff. It's a very different unit.

Anyway, it was my introduction to the wonderful world of fuzz, and I love it. At any price it sounds good, and for what you pay, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.
:thu:

However, beware: It doesn't like buffers or wahs (without fuzz-friendly technology I assume).

Thanks man! :) I'll try and find one locally throughout next week.

I haven't got a wah-wah pedal. To be honest I haven't explored wah-wahs (and maybe should?), but yet I'm more of a rhythm player than lead.

I think my Boss DD20 is the only buffer pedal I have.

Another thing to note is that, soon I'll have all the pedals in loops of a Sound Sculpture Switchblade, fitted into the pedalboard. I think that might address the buffer issue?

• Members

I suppose the thing too about Fuzz is that I want something that can do what I can't already do with my electric guitar & tone & volume controls and the Mesa/Boogie MarkIV.

Well, if you want a really versatile fuzz pedal for that, you might check out a Wolf Computer. It can sound like a dying atari. It can sound like a fuzz face. It can do clean boost. It can add dark grit to a distorted sound. It can do overdrive type sounds. It can sound like velcro.

This song of mine uses a Wolf Computer > Traynor YCV50 on all the guitar tracks.

http://venter.bandcamp.com/track/nobody-likes-a-whiner

• Members

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=xNL3jQAA1258770585&command=link--miabp

MI Audio might have what you need !

An overdrive and with the flick of a switch, a wicked cool fuzz !!!

Utoob this one !

Another great contender has got to be the Subedecay Liquid Sunshine !

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=xNL3jQAA1258770585&command=link--sdls

Archived