A fuzz pedal for guitarists that don't like fuzz....(& effect options)

petejt

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I think there was an old Morely pedal that did that but I could be wrong. I know there was the Morely Fuzz Wah, but I'm not positive on fuzz and phaser.

On a side note, I know its not a fuzz, but since your such a fan of modulation pedals, why not get a univibe?

Cool, thanks very much guys! :thu:

• Members

AEDIT: What about the T-Rex Mudhoney?

I have a Mudhoney running on my MkIIB, which has beaten everything I've thrown at it for full distortion. SCOD, SFT, OCD, Crunchbox, Rat, I don't know, ten of 'em, anyway. The SFT is very close, but looser in the lows. I can dial up a solid rock sound, and then push it with my DLS set to bright OD, and get teh br00tz.

I tried the other guitarist's new Distortron, and it's a damn fine pedal as well. Might be a match for the Mudhoney, it has a character-laden low-mid, with the MH being smoother in that range. The Distortron might be more distinctive, the T-Rex more classic. An oddity, the Mudhoney gets quieter if the input dignal gets stronger. I had to get an EQ pedal for my front pedal, or I couldn't change guitars, my levels went crazy.

The MI Neo Fuzz is (by demo videos) an amazingly versatile pedal. Would probably do what you're thinking of with enough tweaking.

Maybe my favorite fuzz is StompUnderFoot's Son of a Bee. While it can get buzzy, wooly, and over-fuzzed, it maintains perfect clarity and articulation simultaneously through it's full range. The site demo is an overly bright and spitty sound for my tastes, but you can hear how it holds together despite the extreme setting. His Modified Muff is also awesome: a Violet Ram's Head variant, it's just gorgeously velvety.

That said, I run a Fulltone Ultimate Octave. I like the octave option, and it gets quite muffish if you run it into a mild OD. By itself, it's more Fuzz Facey, to my ear.

Edit: Gilmore's distortion on The Wall would be an early Big Muff variant, I think Violet Ram's Head.

• Members

SOMETIMES WITH FUZZ AND OVERDRIVE/DISTORTIONS ON AN ALREADY DISTORTED AMP , YOU CAN'T TELL ANY DIFFERENCE OR IT JUST MAKES NOISE AND FEEDBACK. A LITTLE BIT OF AMP DRIVE, AND SOME FUZZ IS COOL. I KINDA HAVE THE SAME QUESTION. WHAT DIRT PEDALS ARE MADE TO INTERACT WITH A DIRT AMP AND WHAT PEDALS ARE "STANDALONE", MEANING CAPABLE OF FULLFILLING THE DIRT ON A CLEAN AMP WITH NO DRIVE

• Members
SOMETIMES WITH FUZZ AND OVERDRIVE/DISTORTIONS ON AN ALREADY DISTORTED AMP , YOU CAN'T TELL ANY DIFFERENCE OR IT JUST MAKES NOISE AND FEEDBACK. A LITTLE BIT OF AMP DRIVE, AND SOME FUZZ IS COOL. I KINDA HAVE THE SAME QUESTION. WHAT DIRT PEDALS ARE MADE TO INTERACT WITH A DIRT AMP AND WHAT PEDALS ARE "STANDALONE", MEANING CAPABLE OF FULLFILLING THE DIRT ON A CLEAN AMP WITH NO DRIVE

capslock.jpg

• Members

I would just get a Big Muff. They're cheap, readily available just about everywhere (even Australia, I'd guess), and aren't quite as obnoxious as a lot of other fuzz pedals. Not that obnoxious is a bad thing for fuzz pedals... but being someone that isn't a huge fan of fuzz, as I am, I'm sure you will probably appreciate the Muff's relative 'smoothness'.

• Members

I've mentioned it before, but the Voodoo Lab Superfuzz is good for slight fuzz. It's closer to maybe a distortion/ overdrive with some fuzzy characteristics as you turn it up. It's not extreme fuzz, so that's probably why alot of people don't like it, but the midrange gets alot of snarl with the tone knob, and though I love a Muff, I like how it neither gets bassy enough and you can unscoop the mids. I've never been able to convince myself to sell it because of those factors.

• Members
SO what are you getting? :poke:

HungPhat is going to bring over some fuzz pedals for me to try out. If it all goes good I might be getting my own custom-built fuzz pedal :) .

I feel pretty keen on the Flanger Hoax too, might get it after Christmas/next year though, well I gotta do more research first.

• Members
but the midrange gets alot of
snarl
with the tone knob,

I like the sound of that! :cool:

Not that I need midrange, the MarkIV has bucketloads of mids, plus I have a pair of Svetlana EL34s in it for even more, it roars even when I have some mids sculpted on the graphic EQ.

I just happen to like snarly guitar sounds :rawk: .

• Members
Sometimes with fuzz and overdrive/distortions on an
already distorted
amp, you cannot tell any difference- or, it just makes noise and feedback.

A little bit of amp drive and some fuzz is cool.

I kinda have the same question: What dirt pedals are made to interact with a dirty amp?

And what pedals are "standalone"?- meaning that they are capable of fulfilling the dirt on a clean amp with no drive?

• Members
I have a Mudhoney running on my MkIIB, which has beaten everything I've thrown at it for full distortion. SCOD, SFT, OCD, Crunchbox, Rat, I don't know, ten of 'em, anyway. The SFT is very close, but looser in the lows. I can dial up a solid rock sound, and then push it with my DLS set to bright OD, and get teh br00tz.

I tried the other guitarist's new Distortron, and it's a damn fine pedal as well. Might be a match for the Mudhoney, it has a character-laden low-mid, with the MH being smoother in that range. The Distortron might be more distinctive, the T-Rex more classic. An oddity, the Mudhoney gets quieter if the input dignal gets stronger. I had to get an EQ pedal for my front pedal, or I couldn't change guitars, my levels went crazy.

The MI Neo Fuzz is (by demo videos) an amazingly versatile pedal. Would probably do what you're thinking of with enough tweaking.

Maybe my favorite fuzz is StompUnderFoot's Son of a Bee. While it can get buzzy, wooly, and over-fuzzed, it maintains perfect clarity and articulation simultaneously through it's full range. The site demo is an overly bright and spitty sound for my tastes, but you can hear how it holds together despite the extreme setting. His Modified Muff is also awesome: a Violet Ram's Head variant, it's just gorgeously velvety.

That said, I run a Fulltone Ultimate Octave. I like the octave option, and it gets quite muffish if you run it into a mild OD. By itself, it's more Fuzz Facey, to my ear.

Edit: Gilmore's distortion on The Wall would be an early Big Muff variant, I think Violet Ram's Head.

Thanks for that info man, especially about Dave :thu:

• Members

Thanks man!
:)
I'll try and find one locally throughout next week.

I haven't got a wah-wah pedal. To be honest I haven't explored wah-wahs (and maybe should?), but yet I'm more of a rhythm player than lead.

I think my Boss DD20 is the only buffer pedal I have.

Another thing to note is that, soon I'll have all the pedals in loops of a Sound Sculpture Switchblade, fitted into the pedalboard. I think that might address the buffer issue?

Cool man! :thu:

Hmmm... It might do. Certainly should do, shouldn't it? Provided that the buffered pedal and the intolerant pedal aren't patched in together, I'd have thought that it's as if the buffered pedal isn't there at all... But you never know with these things, right? Pedals can be strange creatures sometimes. :cop::rawk:

• Members

petejt,
im going to start putting the components onto the circuit board for your "Butta-Face" build tonight. hopefully have the enclosure drilled and all wired up by end of week/weekend and also get to work on the graphics next week.

should be interesting.

Archived