A fuzz pedal for guitarists that don't like fuzz....(& effect options)

petejt

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd say a fuzz face (or clone), for how it reacts to your volume knob.
One of my favourite guitar sounds is with the volume on the guitar backed down a little (to 7-8) for a bright, chime-y, overdrive sound. It's just a little more unique than amp or pedal overdrive.
Between 8-10 on the volume knob you can get nice, not too crazy fuzzy sustain or all the way up for dirty, crumbly atomic-ness.

I have a Monsterpiece NPN/classic for this, but i've got an Australian made pedal called a Wosface on the way, and it's the best FF i've used.

I tried it out along side all the roger mayer 'rocket' FF's.

So +1 for the monsterpiece. I saw one on Aussie ebay a few weeks ago.

• Members

Do you have a price point? Or any stand out songs that have something fuzzy that appeals to you?

Anything under $250 aussie bucks. Remember our gear prices are through the roof... :(

David Gilmour has some pretty cool tones, I love his distorted tones on The Wall if that's any indication, yet when playing those songs I just crank my amp up. Otherwise I can't think of any specific fuzz tones at the moment. I'll get back to you on this one.

EDIT: What about the T-Rex Mudhoney? I'm purely going by the name here, just saw it in an advertisment in a guitar magazine. Basically I want something unique to to Mesa/Boogie MarkIV, which is going to be hard considering its versatility...maybe a fuzz that will work well with the Rhythm 2 channel of my MarkIV?

• Members
I'd say a fuzz face (or clone), for how it reacts to your volume knob.

One of my favourite guitar sounds is with the volume on the guitar backed down a little (to 7-8) for a bright, chime-y, overdrive sound. It's just a little more unique than amp or pedal overdrive.

Between 8-10 on the volume knob you can get nice, not too crazy fuzzy sustain or all the way up for dirty, crumbly atomic-ness.

I have a
Monsterpiece NPN/classic
for this, but i've got an Australian made pedal called a Wosface on the way, and it's the best FF i've used.

I tried it out along side all the roger mayer 'rocket' FF's.

So +1 for the monsterpiece. I saw one on Aussie ebay a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the tips :) . I haven't seen Wosface before. I was thinking of a Nessfield Bluezer but that's more of an overdrive pedal- it's a local one.

• Members
how about something slightly different like an octave fuzz?

:idea: Different is good!! I like that. Thank you.

But wouldn't that be similar to me running my POG with the Dry, Sub & 1 octave up detuned sliders cranked & on first switch setting, with amp distortion?

You see I think I'm getting confused because I try to get as much out of the guitar & amp gain-wise without relying on external dirt.......... :confused:
what am I doing??

• Members
Anything under $250 aussie bucks. Remember our gear prices are through the roof...
:(

David Gilmour has some pretty cool tones, I love his distorted tones on
The Wall
if that's any indication, yet when playing those songs I just crank my amp up. Otherwise I can't think of any specific fuzz tones at the moment. I'll get back to you on this one.

EDIT: What about the T-Rex Mudhoney? I'm purely going by the name here, just saw it in an advertisment in a guitar magazine. Basically I want something unique to to Mesa/Boogie MarkIV, which is going to be hard considering its versatility...maybe a fuzz that will work well with the Rhythm 2 channel of my MarkIV?

So would you like a Big Muff? Some other things worth checking out are MKIII Tonebenders and Buzzaround clones. If you really want a high end Fuzz made with a lot of attention to detail; check out Stomp Under Foot and Skinpimp.

• Members

That's how I would describe my Swollen Pickle MK:II, it's got the clarity, but also has a massive amount of low end and balls... It's not too hairy either (though you can dial this in and out, it has 5 knobs and 2 internal trim pots). It's a great sounding pedal that doesn't get a lot of attention IMO.

• Members
That's how I would describe my Swollen Pickle MK:II, it's got the clarity, but also has a massive amount of low end and balls... It's not too hairy either (though you can dial this in and out, it has 5 knobs and 2 internal trim pots). It's a great sounding pedal that doesn't get a lot of attention IMO.

Cool, thanks for the suggestion, I shall seek one out to try. :)

• Members

Anyway, it would be nice to have a completely different type of distortion sound, hence why I am considering Fuzz. I don't particularly like most fuzz tones, or anything fuzzy & hairy in general...... But there is something in there that I reckon is worth exploring.
I'd like something a little bit murky and fuzzy, yet not incoherent, not flubby, not hollow, not smudgey, not blubbery, not too woolly
. A fuzz that still retains some definition in the tone. If it can work well with the Rhythm 2 channel to fuzz it up a bit, and then turn the fuzz pedal off for the Marshall bark, that'd be GREAT!

I don't like fuzz pedals but I love the Throbak ODB. It'll does a great distortion and a flicked switch throws it into fuzz mode. Silicon and germanium options combined with superb EQ controls means it covers a ton of ground. It's still quite under the radar which baffles me. In fuzz mode it can do Big Muff and Tonebender sounds that don't sound too compressed. In overdrive mode, it's got a lot of juice there. It's just a great pedal.

• Members
I've just thought of something- are there any fuzz pedals or phaser pedals, that can be controlled by an external expression pedal? I reckon it would be cool to combine fuzz and phasing.

A pedal like the Toadworks enveloope would allow you to have input sensitive blend control of something like a fuzz. There are also quite a few multifx units that have both fuzz and phaser effects that can be controlled via an expression pedal.

The Pigtronix EP-1, Prophecysound Inifnitphase MKII (with expression pedal sweep mod), diamond phase, mu-tron biphase, Dearmond Phaser model 1900, Schaller phaser, and MXR Variphase all appear to offer expression-pedal-controlled phasing.

P.S. My HM-2 suggestion earlier in this thread was serious. It is a distortion with many fuzz-like characteristics that can also serve as a nice, fuzzy boost at lower gain levels. :wave:

• Members

I've just thought of something- are there any fuzz pedals or phaser pedals, that can be controlled by an external expression pedal? I reckon it would be cool to combine fuzz and phasing.

I think there was an old Morely pedal that did that but I could be wrong. I know there was the Morely Fuzz Wah, but I'm not positive on fuzz and phaser.

On a side note, I know its not a fuzz, but since your such a fan of modulation pedals, why not get a univibe?

Archived