Monthly Mission

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Generated music? Something like Cynthia's old Bug Music contest before they started allowing tracked and played music. I don't know how stringent to be about it though. The use of analog style sequencers (which by the way I don't have,) should be the upper end, arpeggiators should be the middle ground, while music clocked and controlled by LFOs, S&H, Random Sources, etc. would be the simplest. Just a thought. I love the limiting minimalist themes, so those are what I tend to come up with. I'm not good with picking real themes.

• Members

Puppy, can you pls reset my account - I couldn't upload it directly - my old account was "Mr Varaldo" at the monthly mission website.

Here's the direct link - It's really a silly cover of you know what... :D but a submission nonetheless :)

I Saw The Sine

Used the JP-8 with VCO2's sine waveform only

Recorded late at night so the levels are a bit off.. but it's all sine waves :)

• Members

My suggestion would probably be totaly unfair on anyone who doesnt have a v-synth.. :)

just sample a few seconds something random of the telly, or out of a movie or whatever, so long as whatever is sampled has a reasonable collection of noises and tonality in it somewhere, but not music of course.

Make you song out of it by chopping it up, mangling the samples or whatever you have at your disposal.

Sine waves sounds fun - Dm suggested sysnthesis banned - what about distortion - or more to the point - waveshaping? :)

That dodgy scale? Erm - think I would be tempted to run it through some random glitch tool and call it IDM :)

• Members

I don't think that'd be unfair at all. A wave editor, (which I don't have at the moment, though I could grab a free one in a few seconds,) a sample playback VST, (or better yet full featured VST sampler,) and you're all set. (most of which can be found for free at KVR) I'm pretty good at sample mangling the old-fashioned way. (comes from chip-tune and mod writing way back) Not a bad idea. Heh, if it was broken down chip-style, you could take any old .025 second clip off the TV and create plenty of waveforms out of it.

• Members
Heh, if it was broken down chip-style, you could take any old .025 second clip off the TV and create plenty of waveforms out of it.

Yes - someone with a grunular or even wavetable synth with user loadable grains or waves would be completely unresticted :)

• Members
I'm a couple weeks late, but I wanted to wait until my Mankato filters were built. I just posted it to the Sine Wave Mission on the Missions site. Here is a direct link:

http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/PureSines.mp3

I'll paste the description from the Missions site here as well:

All sounds were created using two Mankato Filters and one MOTM 440 filter in self oscillation. Cross modulation, and a ton of envelope generators were used to modulate the sounds to create the percussion. The music is inspired by old games like Megaman etc. I actually played the melodic parts, which I don't normally do. Please excuse the slop.
:)

Also, I don't have a noise gate plugin currently, or a wave editor, so the snare track is VERY noisy. I couldn't squash it in between the hits, so... it's noisy.
:)
A couple of PSP and Waves effects were used.

Nice!! That melody reminded me of an old C64 game, along with the SID sounding snare!

Archived