Monthly Mission

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Would anyone be interested in starting up a monthly mission once again?

Even tho there was only a small number of submissions this time, please, let's get the MM back on track.

I really enjoy to work in a specific framework, it's kinda like for synth-lovers what finger exercises are for guitarists.

It gives me a reason to check out some of the features of synths I usually wouldn't use or never felt the need to use.

And I just got my non-pre-series Blofeld (finally!!!) yesterday!

c'mon ppl, produce some music! :mad::mad::mad:

;)

:wave:

p.s.

this thread got 2128 views and just 3 submissions?

c'mon!!!

:)

• Members

I really enjoy to work in a specific framework, it's kinda like for synth-lovers what finger exercises are for guitarists.

It gives me a reason to check out some of the features of synths I usually wouldn't use or never felt the need to use.

Exactly my purpose in restarting the MM. When my family asks me, "you've got all that stuff, why don't you ever record anything?" My response is usually, "It's like staring at a blank canvas. I have most all the brushes and paints anyone could need, but I stare at that blank, white canvas, and nothing comes to mind." I usually just wind up jamming.

I was hoping that having a goal to achieve in a specific framework would help us (not just me) to focus and produce something, ANYTHING. I also thought it would force us to get to know the capabilities our synths better. I got to know my PEK a bit better after this, for sure.

Post 'em if you got 'em, folks!

Remember, you can always add new ideas for the next mission. If we have ideas from at least 5 different members by Monday the 9th, I'll enable oting then. If not, we'll just let it ride until we get 5 members to wake up and nominate something.

• Members

When my family asks me, "you've got all that stuff, why don't you ever record anything?" My response is usually, "It's like staring at a blank canvas. I have most all the brushes and paints anyone could need, but I stare at that blank, white canvas, and nothing comes to mind."

excellent description! :thu:

• Members

Thanks for that AAMS link, Stomp. I let it have its way with my baby and updated my submission.

nice! :thu:

the PEK certainly is something.

I've been eyeing the Evolver ever since it came out. I figure it would be

really sick when hooked up to my guitar-to-MIDI system.

can't decide whether to get a Mono Evolver keyboard or the desktop version, tho.

I played with a PEK at a store for some time and, strangly, the knob layout/gui didn't 'speak' to me.

and there are 2 good looking editor proggies availabe.

then again for $1000 the MEK seems like a really good deal, and it looks so friggin' awesome... :love:

• Members

So many people comment on the MED being more sequencer friendly and the MEK more geared towards playing a sound on the board. I wonder if I got a MEK over my MED that I would fall into the trap... Contemplating it also.

• Members

Well...

Where is everyone's submission? Don? This is your mission, dude, where's your piece? And where are all the ideas for the next mission?

C'mon people, get crackin'!
:D

The subject/rules were just not happening for me on this particular MM.

• Members

The subject/rules were just not happening for me on this particular MM.

Understandable. You could nominate something more to your liking for the next mission, though. Only StompBoxLover has nominated something so far. I'll add a nomination or two when I can think of something clever.

• Members

i got so into playing around with the enigmatic scale that i ended up working on that and the hoffman track instead!

Enigmatic scale for the mission!

But we need to know more about it. Is it a mode of the equal tempered scale or would it, historically, have been imposed on some other temperament. Stuff like that.

• Members

I'm a couple weeks late, but I wanted to wait until my Mankato filters were built. I just posted it to the Sine Wave Mission on the Missions site. Here is a direct link:

http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/PureSines.mp3

I'll paste the description from the Missions site here as well:

All sounds were created using two Mankato Filters and one MOTM 440 filter in self oscillation. Cross modulation, and a ton of envelope generators were used to modulate the sounds to create the percussion. The music is inspired by old games like Megaman etc. I actually played the melodic parts, which I don't normally do. Please excuse the slop. :)

Also, I don't have a noise gate plugin currently, or a wave editor, so the snare track is VERY noisy. I couldn't squash it in between the hits, so... it's noisy. :) A couple of PSP and Waves effects were used.

• Members

nice ... Was the lead sequenced or played ... ?

Is it supposed to end that abruptly? (I don't necessarily mind it at all ... )

One (the lower notes is sequenced, as it was my sketch for the idea, key, etc. in the first place.) The higher notes were played, which is why they're a little more sloppy. No quantization either. Yes, it ends abruptly. This comes down to a lack of time currently. I sampled 16 measures at a time from my modular, then chopped them into 4 measure sections, and arranged those. (which is also not a way that I normally work, though it probably would have been better if I had a wave editor installed)

• Members

I will cook some track with JD-990.

I just fixed my SH-101 and i feel very good about it.

Before that i fixed Alesis M1 Act speakers.

Before that Oberheim OB-1.

Before that Logan String II.

Before that Monopoly. (not mine)

Before that Roland SH-1. (not mine)

Before that Arp Omni II.

And i talk some serious problems these machines had. Scope detection here + full recap + tune and calibration. Over 100 working hours my friend..... :freak:

Good side is, i earned for SH-2. :love: It will come from Japan. And ... it will be pictured right in front of Roland's main headquarters in Hamamatsu (Shizuoka), Japan. Picture will go on the wall. A copy will go here.

• Members

One (the lower notes is sequenced, as it was my sketch for the idea, key, etc. in the first place.) The higher notes were played, which is why they're a little more sloppy. No quantization either. Yes, it ends abruptly. This comes down to a lack of time currently. I sampled 16 measures at a time from my modular, then chopped them into 4 measure sections, and arranged those. (which is also not a way that I normally work, though it probably would have been better if I had a wave editor installed)

I like it, nice work J3rk. :thu:

Archived