Monthly Mission

• Members

Hello and welcome to this post. I've been thinking about the Monthly Mission schedule lately.

I'm concerned that a 4 week cycle may actually be too long. I know that, at least for me, unless a deadline is looming, I tend to put things off and forget about them. SO: I'm thinking of setting a 3-week cycle schedule for the MM instead of 4 weeks. This would make the current schedule as follows:

May 9 - May 30: Accepting submissions for current mission, Sine Waves.

May 16 - May 23: Accepting nominations for next mission

May 23 - May 30: Vote on next mission

May 31: Begin next mission

Any objections? Is a 3-week cycle too short?

The sooner the better. That means I'll finish quicker instead of going over it too much.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So far only Doug has actually submitted anything for this mission. I'm still working on mine, I hope to be done with it later this week.

I was going to end this mission this Friday, but I suspect that I should extend it to next week? Anyone? Bueller?

• Members

I'm still going to do mine ... but I've been working pretty hardcore trying to get a 10-minute track finished ...

I don't see why there needs to be a deadline since probably nothing new is going to materialize immediately anyway ....

• Members

Term "subtractive only" was used to point out no other synthesis methods are allowed, not to say you need to subtract something from a sinewave. Subtractive synthesis stands for a concept. A classic synthesizer design VCO-VCF-VCA, not just for subtracting partials from the original harmonic. It is a synth design, not just the process.

As of original question - what is to be subtracted. I though you might find it interesting that using two sine wave oscillators and applying cross modulation, osc sync or ring modulation you can create whole population of new harmonics. And there is a lot that can be subtracted from it. Cross mod, sync and AM are a standard part of many subtractive synthesizers.

I'm a bit late here, but earlier in the thread it sounded like FM synthesis was not allowed (e.g. DX7 with algos other than 32), but now you say cross mod/ring mod/AM is allowed? Cross mod = FM on many synths, and those synth methods aren't "subtractive", even though they're often found on subtractive synths.

Just wondering about that.

Maybe I'll jump in on the next mission, if time permits...

• Members

So far I've managed to get some very non-sine sounds from my Evolver using only waves 1, 85 and 86 (sine, sine+oct, sine+5th), ring modulation, and copius use of distortion. :D Now I need to figure out how to replace the Stylus track I was usin for a groove with sine-based percussion.

• Members

So far only Doug has actually submitted anything for this mission. I'm still working on mine, I hope to be done with it later this week.

I was going to end this mission this Friday, but I suspect that I should extend it to next week? Anyone? Bueller?

hmmm... still working on mine.

it'll probably be embarassingly short, but I think I'll manage to submit something.

something surprisingly noisy and not very sine-like sounding, I might add. :)

SBL

• Members

I'm a bit late here, but earlier in the thread it sounded like FM synthesis was not allowed (e.g. DX7 with algos other than 32), but now you say cross mod/ring mod/AM is allowed? Cross mod = FM on many synths,

DX-7 is using linear frequency modulation to obtain a sound. Or to be exact - phase modulation (PM).

Cross Mod = exponential frequency modulation.

These are really two different things. With classic DX synth you have at least 4 operators and different algorithms. This makes it possible to create all kinds of new timbres. But on a synth with Cross Mod, you are usually limited to just two operators and no much functions around them.

This is why i wanted to avoid DX series, to make timbres more interesting. Else, we would get just the same DX sounds we heard in countless records i.e. Elec. Piano, Tubular Bell, etc.

Also note that contest description says "Cross Mod". Yamaha DX-7 is not a "Cross Mod" synth. :)

• Members

I'm a bit late to enter the sine mission. Besides, my "sining" abilities are a bit limited... there's the Microkorg which has sine only on oscillator 1, meaning cross-mod would be sine modulated by something else (saw, square or triangle). The Motif, which has sine samples, wouldn't allow for any real synthesis (cross mod etc.), and the TX802 is out other than 6 carriers (algorithm 32). D-550 has no sine at all, unless there's one in the PCMs. I just snagged a MKS-80 though, but won't have it for a week or so.

I just thought of something. A resonant filter in self oscillation makes a sine wave. Maybe someone could create a track using only that. On a Prophet 5, '08 or Pro-One that offers filter FM, it could yield interesting results.

Any ideas as to what next months mission will be yet?

• Members

Maybe my suggestion would be what I just mentioned: create a track using only filter self oscillation. ;) Probably would be too limiting though.

Another one that just popped into my head (resulting from a thread on another forum a few months ago): create a track using only cowbell samples. :lol:

• Members

Got a question, do the TR 808/909 and Jomox Mbase use only a sine wave for the bass drum? Don't want to break any rules.

More/less - yes. Although i think there is also a "click" circuit somewhere. The best bet is no use drum machine at all, and "make" your own drums.

I still haven't started to work on a track as i got a lot of work. Given, the end of the month is soon to come, I doubt a track will come out by 31th. I guess i'll submit it next month...

• Members

One other question - is it ok for a sinewave to be modulated by something other than a sinewave? For example, a sine cross modulated with a square or triangle, where the non-sine waveform is cranked down in the mixer section?

(This would allow for cross-mod on Microkorg/MS2000/Radias/R3 to be used)

• Members

greetings sinesians,

uploading my track as I type.

greetz,

SBL

-------------------------------------

(edit)

Not Found

The requested URL /audio/mission_28/StompBoxLover-rizzim.mp3 was not found on this server. :confused::confused::confused:

------------------------------------

(edit2)

now I see it...

no FM...

heh...

• Members

There seems to be a problem with song submission to the MM site, I'll ask Rob about it tomorrow. Stompy, this means you'll probably have to re-submit when it's fixed, sorry. :(

In the meantime, here is my sine submission: http://monthlymission.org/tracks/232

Let's get some new ideas in for the next mission, folks! I'll enable voting next Monday, June 9th!

• Members

I've bowed out of this one, but just had a listen to the two submissions(?) so far...

both good results. smack futures i wouldn't have guessed was made from sine waves if i didn't know, nice bouncy 80s feel piece there.

tines sounds more sines but in a good way, cold and tinkley, quite spacey too, makes me think it would be good soundtrack material for a documentary on the outer planets... interesting use of enigmatic scale too, sounds quite different to my own experiments with it (which you'll know doubt get to hear at some point)

Archived