Monthly Mission

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey thanks for signing up, IB & Awake! Do you all suppose, though that it would be fair to ask that nominations be limited to one per person per mission? I fear winding up with 100 ideas and only 5 people voting. :lol: ON the other hand, if you all don't mind, then I don't mind.

• Members

After a little bit of thinking...

I removed the option for other synthesis methods, as for example FM can generate all kinds of sounds, and additive can generate new waveshapes (saws, squares, etc...). Therefore to make "the sound" of contest interesting i decided to choose Subtractive option only.

• Members

Maybe i wasn't clear enough. A song made of sine wave oscillators (on a synth).

My DX7 jumped off the table in excitement...

Therefore to make "the sound" of contest interesting i decided to choose Subtractive option only.

And then ashamed crawled under the table... ;-)

• Members

[i've also added this to the Monthly Mission page.]

To build on Don Solaris's notion of using sine waves, I'd suggest an emphasis on "Shepard Tones"). These are sounds made up of sine tones stacked, usually, at the octave, usually with a bandpass filter applied. The resulting sound repeats itself every octave so that you can construct a melody that seems to rise forever but never actually leaves the octave.

That's the classical Shepard tone. I was doing some work for a prof many years ago and realised/discovered that the repeat doesn't need to be at the octave. If you repeat the sine tones every fifth, the scale will repeat at the fifth. If you repeat the sine tones every fourth, the scale will repeat at the fourth. The same applies to any interval at al.

I can supply Shepard tones (I built them out of sine tones in 1996) if people are interested. Or the piece could involve the sine tones coming together to create Shepard tones...

• Members

I'll try and do one when the vote is taken. I always loved the MM. It'd be good to hear from Mr Rob from time to time- that guy was really doing some crazy/smart things that I'll never understand.

[edit] looking at the list, for some reason I'm attracted to the Vocoder idea. It's simple, silly, everyone has one and it doesn't really force you into artistically limiting your tone pallet. Open ended, yet having that common factor. Well, whatever it is, I'll see if I can find time.

• Members

Gang,

I just logged into HC for the first time in a LONG time to see if there would be any intrest in just this. There was a time when I put a fair amount of energy into this, and then I got a new job that amputated my very soul and took all my time. I have quit that job and start a new one this week. It encourages me to see some familiar faces still here showing interest in this. Special thanks to Roblogic for carrying the torch all these years. ElectricPuppy, bravo.

Any who, I intend to (shame on me) pull the gear out of storage and get back into making music with ya'll once again. Cheers to the Sexy Hampsters among us.

Archived