Rage Against The Machine VS The X-Factor/Simon Cowell

Ponda Boba

• Members

That song choice is particularly funny as it's exactly the opposite of that. You ARE doing what they tell you. Sony is making the money just the same.

If you're tired of the garbage they put out on the radio/tv, turn them off and go listen to live music, and buy a CD at the end of the show.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't mind Simon Cowell, in that he doesn't kill people. No threads on here outraged as {censored} about the myriad of other, far more unpleasant things than what's Christmas number one.

Anyway, it's that pederast Louis Walsh we should be reserving our bile for. Dead-eyed soulless {censored}pig.

• Members

That song choice is particularly funny as it's exactly the opposite of that. You ARE doing what they tell you. Sony is making the money just the same.

It's not about Sony and their piggy bank though, it's just about the X-factor. I'd be all for an indie label being involved but you're just not going to get the same support. Even my housemate who listens to {censored}ing dance music all the time has the rage albums.

I agree the point is undermined by them being owned by the same record label, makes it seem trite, but I thought it's more about getting people involved in the radio/charts again, can't remeber the last time i even thought about the top 40.

If you're tired of the garbage they put out on the radio/tv, turn them off and go listen to live music, and buy a CD at the end of the show.

I'll be shutting up now, because I couldn't agree with that more.

• Members

i'm not sure i would've chosen 'killing in the name of', but RATM are the perfect band for this.

getting a completely unknown song to number 1 would've been impossible. yes it would've been a greater achievement and made a bigger statement, but still impossible.

its a good song that represents a lot of anti-establishment feeling in people who really don't give a {censored} about X-Factor but are still bombarded by it in the media to the point of exasperation.

its worth considering who else the nation could have got behind. Lady GaGa? Black Eyed Peas? JLS? if you think about it RATM are THE protest band of the last decade or two. the loudest voice of dissent amongst a largely ignored population who's enthusiasm for finding good music isn't made any easier by the torrent of {censored} that's 'fed' to us.

i just hope the whole thing lasts beyond the christmas period and encourages some thought and consideration among those who dictate what's provided in the media. the end of 'celebrity' would be nice.. but just one step closer to that would be a good thing. also, it's the end of a decade, we're at war, we're in a recession, and there's been no recognisable new musical movement yet. maybe this could kick start something.

ideals aside, think of it as true democracy in action. the X-Factor show has just had a slap in the face following years of apathy, and is now getting shown the door.

• Members

What it comes down to is money. If the label sees the money, they could care less wether you buy this, that, or even the other. If you want to make a change, you have to take the money away.

Yeah, it probably wouldn't work if it was a smaller label/group/song, but maybe the idea is flawed. New music shouldn't be a reaction to {censored}ty/old music, but something with it's own merit/value.

To be honest, with guerilla and viral marketing, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a gag put up by /SonyXfactor. It's got us talking about it no? It's gotten their sales up no?

It's not about Sony and their piggy bank though, it's just about the X-factor. I'd be all for an indie label being involved but you're just not going to get the same support. Even my housemate who listens to {censored}ing dance music all the time has the rage albums.

I agree the point is undermined by them being owned by the same record label, makes it seem trite, but I thought it's more about getting people involved in the radio/charts again, can't remeber the last time i even thought about the top 40.

• Members

i don't understand why people hate large labels. i bet most people's 'top 5 favourite albums' are all funded and supported by major labels.

Radiohead, RATM, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Bjork all did there (arguably) 'best' albums during their peak under the financial support of the biggest labels around.

• Members

i don't understand why people hate large labels. i bet most people's 'top 5 favourite albums' are all funded and supported by major labels.

Radiohead, RATM, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Bjork all did there (arguably) 'best' albums during their peak under the financial support of the biggest labels around.

I like Coca-Cola. I like Tesco and Boots and Mars and GlaxoSmithKlineBeecham. You'd have to live in a tree and forage for nuts and berries to be truly not part of the machine. Vote. Read the papers. Be nicer to your neighbours. That's how you can change things. 'Kinell, it's not like we live in Palestine, then we might be lobbing rocks, cos we sure as {censored} wouldn't be in our nice houses full of amps and guitars and computers and CLEAN WATER. I never met anyone who went on about the "machine" or similar that I didn't find intensely {censored}ing dull.

Be nicer. Change that bit of your world. See how long your rebel spirit lasts when yer kid's poorly and the medicine to make them better is sold by and made by a multi-national.

• Members

Jesus H. Christ, the local news just reported that Joe is at number 2. OH NOES! NOT NUMBER 2! This is the most pressing concern of the British public at the moment. Which one of two non-Christmas themed songs, both of which people were essentially told to buy, is at number one. Face plus palm.

• Members

I

With best quote of the article being:

"Rage Against The Machine may not be the ideal expression of the Christmas spirit"

Then again, it could be deemed perfectly appropriate, considering Jesus was named a usurper, one who fought against the Roman establishment with his message...

haiku for yooz all..

spicy food is good

some like it hot, some do not

your anus will speak

Then again, it could be deemed perfectly appropriate, considering Jesus was named a usurper, one who fought against the Roman establishment with his message...

Jesus was a rebel, but his beef was less with Rome than it was with the Jewish leaders - his message was spiritual, not temporal. At least IMHO.

• Members

Jesus was a rebel, but his beef was less with Rome than it was with the Jewish leaders - his message was spiritual, not temporal. At least IMHO.

I'm of the opinion that they are not exclusive of each other.. the spiritual message conflicted with their view of reality (such as 1 god vs many deities). in that respect alone, he challenged not only how you should live your lives as an individual, but everything attached to it. Quite the rebel, i'd say.

just a side note: I dont go to church, i dont pray to a god, i dont consider myself part of any denomination, but i do believe we can all live spiritually enlightened with out it. We are all stardust. )

• Members

What it comes down to is money. If the label sees the money, they could care less wether you buy this, that, or even the other. If you want to make a change, you have to take the money away.

This just isn't true.

Products are discontinued all the time because they aren't selling, and money goes into marketing/improving the products that are moving. FACT: They do care how their money is coming in, and they're marketing to that sector.

Archived