Post your controversial gear related opinions.

amarr1

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True bypass isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Paying more than $200 for a pedal is idiotic (I might make an exception for the DMM...maybe).

Jaguars are ugly.

I agree with all this and want to add:

People who hate wah's never learned how to use them.

Paying several grand for a single ended primitive amp is stupid

Slap bass sucks in every concievable way

Tweeters on bass amps are stupid

Blues died because too many people tried to conserve it

Jack White isnt a good guitarist

Not sure if all those a really controversal but rarely do i see them mentioned.

• Members

I like PRS.

I like the way tele's look and sound, but have never found a neck that I like.

offsets will make you gay.

classic vibe strats are better than most mexican strats.

i've never heard a devi fuzz that sounds useable.

zvex stuff looks pretty.

• Members

Mesa is Junk.

Gibsons are Junk.

Jaguars are Junk.

Jazzmasters are Junk.

Taylors are Junk. (and the action is too high from the factory)

Boss effects don't all suck.

Behringer is Junk.

Windows is teh Junk. TEH JUNK!!11!!!!111!1!

:thu:

As for me, apart from my opinion of Taylors, I would add PRS, purely because I think they're "overpriced"*. I've never heard one that I thought sounded particularly inspiring, and certainly over here for the price you pay for a PRS, you can either for not much more, or substantially less (in the case of PS and limited runs) get a custom Suhr or Tom Anderson. I know which I prefer.

The Axe-FX doesn't sound as good as the fanboys claim, and is not 'the end of tube amplifiers'.

Tubescreamers are horrid, flubby and sound like cardboard.

Passive tone controls on pedals are the most useless invention in the history of guitar effects. I don't want an unhappy medium. Why don't you give me a two-band EQ? With that, I can dial in the right amounts of bass and treble.

*I don't mean literally 'overpriced'; I just don't think that the instrument is as good as the price tag is high.

• Members

I think Strats are kinda boring....I'm much more of a Tele guy when it comes to classic Fender guitars....

speaking of which...

No one should need more than a one channel amp. One channel that does what it does especially well. 2 3 and 4 channel amps are just a waste of damn space and money. The cleans on my Fender sound WAY {censored}ing better than the clean channel on a Mesa...I just do not see why someone needs 4 channels with 3 modes each....so rediculous.

• Members

I have never had an EHX pedal fail on me in all of my years of playing...:poke:
:wave:

I've had one -- and it was a very old deluxe electric mistress. The person who sold it to me packed it very poorly and it was damaged in shipping. Alls I did was solder a resiter that popped off back on, and now it works fine. I have 5 ehx pedals right now, and they work fine. Owned about twenty or so in the past, but that DEM was the only one that broke for any reason.

That said, I've had a PS-3 fail (I think the chip failed on it), a broken CH-1 (the board cracked somehow; it wasn't my fault), a CE-2 that had the switch fail (it was a silver-screw, so it was old), an SYB-3 (easy fix), and an FZ-2 (again, easy fix, just needed to resolder a wire, but it failed at a gig).

I'm the opposite of most people in that I like how Boss pedals sound, but I don't necessarily feel that they are any more reliable than any other pedal that ain't made of plastic. I still use them and love them, but I roll my eyes when people say "they're built like tanks!"

• Members

the only difference between a TS7 and a TS808 is the component tolerances and a couple of resistor values. Spending lots on tubescreamers is ridiculous.

Someone could build you 10 for the amount some of them cost.

Fuzz isn't a very useful effect

300ms isn't enough

• Members

Supposdly boss pedals are "invincible" however i dont think they are, i have had many pedals crap out on me

however EHX Pedals i think are invicible, yes im a massive fan of them however i have had some come loose in my board and trashed around, 2 mins later ill plug them in, perfect still work great !!! i think they are some of the best pedals made

Archived