Best Deal You Got On Gear ?

mikeoxlong

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

a friend of mine got minntttyy mint condition 1960's marshall head (cant think what type) for free because it didnt work... he called up marshall and they fully restored it to working with all the original parts for free,m they even covered postage so that was a neat score

myself, i got a 50th anniversary fender strat with jeff beck pups for

• Members

when I was a kid, I bought a new Boss PN-2 for $25, when they were selling off their stock.

More recently, I bought a basically brand new Devi Ever Dark Boost from a guy for $45. But then I got another Dark Boost as a gift, so I offered up the one I bought for trade. A guy ended up trading me a clone he had built of the Mid-Fi Clari(not). It sounds {censored}ing awesome.

• Members

Lots of free stuff...

Free Ernie Ball pedal that appeared with my gear when I moved out of the dorms. Don't even know who it belonged to.

Free drum gear from a drummer I once played with who moved away. I asked him what he wanted to do with the gear he was storing at my house, and he said "have it". Couple of nice cymbals and a nifty gigging kit.

A friend borrowed without asking (ie stole) a steel snare of mine and left it in his rehearsal space. After a few months of me asking for it back and finally threatening to get the police involved, he finally gave me his nicer Ludwig piccolo snare plus a cymbal bag full of cymbals.

Another friend gave me a vintage Ibanez compressor for free because he didn't use it.

Of course there was my $90 Fender Precision... That was a good buy.

Also the $15 Peavey Combo 300- turned out one input jack was broken and it had a funny fuse. Replaced those two things and it has worked faithfully and consistently for almost ten years.

Bought a 1970's Aria Pro II semi-hollow for $20 at a garage sale and resold it within hours of posting it on CL for $150.

Traded a $100 drum rack for my custom shop SG, retubed Valve Jr, and a green Russian Big Muff.

And although it's a little closer to average, I only paid $190 for my Stratocaster. I've easily gotten my money's worth dozens of times over...

• Members

63' Jazzmaster from my friend who was given it as a gift from a "certain" famous Jazzmaster user. sold it to me for $2500. Perfectly broken in and lovingly played.

Or my 71' Superbass for $250. It was a restoration project. Though it was rumored to have been Duane Allmans at one point in time. It's been modded to sound like a plexi with a smoother high end. But whether it's true or not it sounds absolutely amazing!:love:

Archived