I believe 100% in the Fragile Harmonics theory

RoboPimp

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you are not allowed to analize or let someone analize your dumble amp.

Or else what? What exactly does H. Alexander Dumble think he can do about it if you did let someone "analise" your amp? Come to your house and sit on you? Surely he'd be laughed out of any court in the country.

• Members

Regarding the FET in the front end of the Dumble....that's true, Bobby? I've always felt that there's a whole bunch of things that go into good tone and good sounds.....all my amps are old tube amps, but I still have solid state overdrives and distortions going into them. Pure tube (non-solid state) and pure build quality only gets you so far. It reminds me of the analog recording purists that hate digital, but get their edits or masters done on a computer setup (ProTools, etc), where the recordings go to cd, anyways. It's still touched by digital.

• Members

Regarding the FET in the front end of the Dumble....that's true, Bobby? I've always felt that there's a whole bunch of things that go into good tone and good sounds.....all my amps are old tube amps, but I still have solid state overdrives and distortions going into them. Pure tube (non-solid state) and pure build quality only gets you so far. It reminds me of the analog recording purists that hate digital, but get their edits or masters done on a computer setup (ProTools, etc), where the recordings go to cd, anyways. It's still touched by digital.

You could make an argument about which elements of the recording process are/should be done in the analog domain versus which are done in the digital domain, and the advantages and disadvantages of either. Let's not forget that every time something is re-digitized, the resolution is altered, etc.

In the end though, yes, you're right, it's going to end up in the digital domain and set at a particular resolution, but as Steve Albini has said, "It doesn't really matter what I think, since digital is here to stay."

• Members

You could make an argument about which elements of the recording process are/should be done in the analog domain versus which are done in the digital domain, and the advantages and disadvantages of either. Let's not forget that every time something is re-digitized, the resolution is altered, etc.

In the end though, yes, you're right, it's going to end up in the digital domain and set at a particular resolution, but as Steve Albini has said, "It doesn't really matter what I think, since digital is here to stay."

All true. I definetely think that there's merit in recording to tape.....but on a good recorder and a good setup. Well maintained machines in optimum condition and aligned correctly have an advantage on digital as far as interesting coloration and changing the signal in an interesting and good sounding way, but digital.....I like digital, because i'm hearing on the recording what went into the monitors. I don't want coloration on a signal, because i'm working hard to adjust it to sound good going into the machine.

• Members

Can you explain why?

My super unscientific take on why SS amps don't often hang with toob amps:

1) Designers don't create the right harmonics (that is, distoriton/non-linearities) in the right amounts.

2) They don't treat the transient response envelope properly.

3) The frequency response is typically incorrect.

If you could design a SS amp that introduces the right kinds of harmonics in the amounts, could handle the attack/release/rounding/compression of transients properly, and approximate the right frequency response, you'd be golden.

It's a design issue, not a "components" issue, fundamentally.

It's not that anything is getting LOST from the signal in a solid state design; it's that the right things aren't being introduced.

• Members

1) Designers don't create the right harmonics (that is, distoriton/non-linearities) in the right amounts.

If you could design a SS amp that introduces the right kinds of harmonics in the amounts, could handle the attack/release/rounding/compression of transients properly, and approximate the right frequency response, you'd be golden.

It's not that anything is getting LOST from the signal in a solid state design; it's that the right things aren't being introduced.

Get working on it then!

• Members

try this one

lg_Trademark_60_4x10.jpg

Archived