Oh hai effect dudes!

Tomkeen

• Members

So, if you were to pick from the following pedals (just one), which one would you pick, and why?

Proco Rat

Big muff pi with tone wicker

Artec soloist

Yes, I want to use one of these on a synth I haven't bought yet :facepalm:. If it means anything to you, it's a nord lead 2x.

• Members

Probably the Rat, although I don't know that any of those would be my first choice for a keyboard overdrive / fuzz.
:idk:
What type of music are you doing, and what sorts of sounds will you be using on the Nord?

I only want to use distortion/fuzz on leads, maybe bass sounds. I mainly play funk / rock / progrock.

And btw, is it me or are those Artec pedals real good value for the money? I've been watching some toob vids and they seem to sound really good and don't even cost much...

Oh, you guys are quick!

• Members

A Muff is great for monophonic sounds - don't know what kinda synth you're playing, but it'll give you some really nice vintage warmth if you turn down the tone knob to the left and leave the sustain off - Muddier sounds, but the bass on them is nice - kinda gives a lightly-torn speaker sound, like a gently-distorted TR-808 bass drum sound.

If you're into polyphonic synth sounds, the Rat would be a much better pedal - it allows for greater harmonic complexity and doesn't get as muddy when you play chords. Plus, it's Filter tone control is more versatile than the Muff's tone control.

I don't know about the Artec.

I personally enjoy the Muff a bit more, but I'm shooting for a particular sound, similar to Raymond Scott from 1950/1960's.

• Members

Well, yeah... But I play with some guitarists that need to be scared by heavily distorted leads played at 2000 notes a second sometimes... 'tis my shreddy side that wants to come out and play every once in a while :D

Rat it is. Think I'll pick one up today.

Archived