Restoring a '70s Epiphone ET-290 (maybe)

CrowShack

• Members

So I have this beat up old pawn-shop guitar from my punk rock days:

epiFish2small-1-1.jpg

Originally a bargain model, made in Japan with cheap hardware and a flimsy-bolt on neck.

fish_neckplate.jpg

It kind of looks like the Wilshire re-issue, but is not the same. Would be worth some money if it was mint but it definitely is not; in fact it is unplayable and missing parts.

One of the humbuggys was non-functioning when I bought it and at some point it was ripped out & thrown away. The neck humbucker was moved to bridge position. LOL I had no clue back in those days (still don't I guess)

So I thought I'd share some photos while I try to get it back into comission (or ruin it). Oh yeah, the reason I don't just throw it away is because it's got MOJO. Has toured with me, and was briefly seen in a cheesy MTV video my band did back in the grunge days :facepalm:

[YOUTUBE]3kGW1liBW3g[/YOUTUBE]

First up: replace the useless tuners with some Grovers (requires drilling :eek:)

• Members

^^^

LOL yes of course I will keep the fish sticker, no question at all

@woolyh: Is the one in the photo yours? That is gorgeous :love:

Yes, as nice as they look, the hardware on mine is second rate, especially the tuners. The pickup sounds awful as well, but that could be the result of a lifetime of abuse

• Members

Before drilling out the tuners, I did some minor clean up. Well, it was supposed to be minor.

There was duct tape that held the strap on, and the duct tape was left on for close to 15 YEARS. It totally fossilized,

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

I spent several hours scrubbing it with oil and carefully chipping away. Also removed the sticker that covered the neck pup hole (also fossilized).

IMG_0942.jpg

Of course, THE FISH STICKER WILL STAY

IMG_0955.jpg

• Members

As with any project like this, I say keep it as vintage looking as possible. Any major visible parts replaced should be either heavily used, or aged to match the beat to {censored} look of the thing.

For the pickups, I'd see if you could remove the cover and put something worthy under it. I'd also try to track down knobs similar to the original, they look cool.

• Members

Actually, it has history-not a bad thing.

I'd leave the scars/stickers, and clean the beejeebus out of it.

Get some decent HBs, pots, switch and caps.

Tuners if you gots to. clean, lube everything that moves.

Could be a bad (playable) mother{censored}er once again.

• Members

...I'd leave the scars/stickers, and clean the beejeebus out of it...

Could be a bad (playable) motherfucker once again.

Yes - I really struggled with how to go about this. On one hand, I do want to keep it as vintage as possible. But on the other hand, I feel getting obsessed about "authenticity" would be contrary to the original spirit of this particular guitar.

So this project was stuck in limbo for a while; I didn't have the resources to get it "restored" to a collector's-item status. This thing has serious issues, beyond the missing pickup:

In the end, it was like Golden Boy from Seinfeld. I'm just gonna keep treating him the way I always did (which is to stay, with no respect for collector status!), and if he doesn't make it... well it actually was a very cheap guitar to begin with :idk:

• Members

Nice guitar.

Can you apply a transparent finish over the sticker?

I hadn't thought about that. There's a big chip in the paint near the sticker; would have to get that fixed first.

At first my efforts will be focused on getting it back into functioning condition. The first step was the tuners, which I finished today. The originals could no longer hold a tune - maybe never could they were so cheap!

fish_headback.jpg

I slightly cracked the finish on the headstock while removing the ferrules. I was pretty bummed but it really doesn't look like the crack goes into the headstock:

fish_head2.jpg

Had to drill out larger peg holes for the Grovers (I couldn't find distressed gold tuners unfortunately). Was extra scary because I really don't have the proper tools for this. The tech at Ludlow Guitars told me you can avoid damaging the headstock by running the drill in reverse. Seems like it worked; the Grovers are installed and work great

fish_headdone.jpg

• Members

I approve of the tuners, but if you do anything besides upgrade the pup I'll be sad
:o

I hear you. The pick ups will be key. Because it sounds absolutely awful right now. I mean, a dull boxy twang that just lays there like a dead cat. BUT it sounds great acoustically! That's what saved it when I was about to sell it - the electronics were dead, so I just strummed it. And it had this raging obnoxious bratty sound that I fell in love with all over again. (of course half of that was probably fret buzz :lol:)

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Been a while, thought I would update this.

Finally got the BG pups and they sound great.

Ended up splurging and getting all new frets as well. Here's how it looks:

epi-BGpups.jpg

It looks better now with gleaming new gold BG pups, gold tuners and gold Gibson knobs. All the duct tape has been cleaned off but there is still a big chip in the finish right below the bass's mouth.

Sadly, it still has problems staying in tune :cry: I was sure the tuners would correct that. The bridge and stop tail haven't been replaced because they are smaller than standard, hard to find. I tried ordering a tail from StewMac but was out of stock... a new gold stop tail would really complete the look :love:

Archived