doesn't anyone use their amp for od/distortion?

schenkadere

• Members

I own a Mark IV. Using it for it's clean channel is the equivalent of buying a Ferrari just to drive it to and from your mailbox. So I think I'm a big amp dirt user.;)

But i do love collecting fuzz boxes, because an amp can't do the silky smooth or nasty and gated like a fuzz can.

• Members

It seems to me that the channel switching amp is a sort of new invention (at least in relative terms) most of the classic amp distortion sounds require 100 watts cranked with a 4x12.

There are a few out there that could seriously reduce my need for an OD pedal (Bogner Extacy, perhaps) but the really nice ones are super expensive, and probably too many watts for most applications. Even "nice" channel switching amps still don't sound great at low volume.

I go everywhere with my pedalboard, a 5e3, a guitar, and a Senheiser e609, and I've got all my bases covered in one trip from my car.

• Members

my amp sounds amazing with pedals or by it's self,infact i used to own the twin channel version and this was much nicer! :thu:

4304401443_880426550b_b.jpg

sorry that was a gratuitous pic :lol:

so for some songs i'll just crank up the drive but for most tunes where i need a clean sound too i'll use fuzz/clean boost

variety is the spice of life!

• Members

I used to.

But I think its easier and certainly cheaper to find a solid clean amp and then add dirt with pedals.

+1

I used to have a Mesa Single Rec and Triple Rec and a Carvin x100b. Then I decided to do some a/b'ing with the Mesas versus a Jekyll and Hyde pedal into the front of the x100b. The difference between gains definitely had their own flavor and feel, and each Mesa had a "thicker" tone and sounded amazing. But at the end of the day I just decided that not only was it cheaper to have an amp w/ a sweet clean channel with a pedal, I could also have a consistent tone across many volume settings (as well as small stage friendly volumes), AND the difference in tone was negligible enough for me to go with pedals and not look back. Pedals can sound REALLY good if used right, with the right combination of things, especially speakers. Also, I have consistent tone with my board regardless if I have to pack small with a Classic 30 or can take a 100 watt head and crank it. It's just much more convenient this way.

However, I did, for a while, jam out with the Mesa in stereo with the x100b (with the J&H in front), and, well... W:love:W - I wish I could always have a stereo rig cranked...

• Members

All this chatter about OD and distortion pedals. Doesn't anyone just buy an amp that does clean and dirty well without the aid of pedals? I can see a clean boost to take your amp to another level or to punch up your presence, but doesn't anyone simply like what their amps do on their own?

If you have something like a fisrt gen. Krankenstein, or Matap GT1 or Electric Amp USA MVU, and you do not used the dirt of the amp, there is something evry wrong with you.

Now, on the other hand, if you have a 4X10 Bassman, or Deluxe Reverb, Twinn Reverb or Ampeg something, i will understand if you want to use dirt (excl. fuzz, no amp can do the fuzz thing) to help the amp break up earlier.

• Members

You ever tried to get overdrive from a Twin and not get cops called to your apartment? I bought a 5 watt Valvetrain amp which is awesome for apartment use, but both my Fender Twin and the 5 Watt Valvetrain are clean machines. Even when I'm out playing with my twin, I'm not playing venues that warrant my Twin to be so loud it naturally overdrives- so Timmy and Screwdriver are it for me.

• Members
I did for years. Always sounded like garbage live. Went through a bunch of amps.

Rat into an AC30 trumps them all. I'll probably never go amp distortion ever again.

The guitar player in my band has been using my Rat and he just picked up an AC30. Good lord, I love my Rat so much more than before, those two together are SO nice. OTOH, it's got me thinking about an AC15 when another amp is the last thing I need.

Amp set with a little gain, drive pedal for :rawk: parts.

• Members
All this chatter about OD and distortion pedals. Doesn't anyone just buy an amp that does clean and dirty well without the aid of pedals? I can see a clean boost to take your amp to another level or to punch up your presence, but doesn't anyone simply like what their amps do on their own?

I don't like multi channel amps. The channels sound too different from one another and it sounds unnatural when switching between clean and distortion. With pedals I get to use my clean sound as sort of a sonic unifier...plus if I get tired of my distortion/overdrive tone (and I eventually do), I can just swap out a pedal. I don't have to replace my amp. :)

• Members
doesn't anyone use their amp for od/distortion?

That's just
crazy
talk!
;)
:poke:
:D

Of course I use the amp's own "natural" distortion... but that's just one of many "flavors" that are out there, and in my line of work, having a wide and versatile palate to chose from is beneficial. So I use amp dirt, amp dirt helped along by pedals, and pedal dirt into clean amps - whatever gives us the sound that we're looking for and works for the song.
:)

This.

Phil nailed it.

However, I've had a Peavey Classic 50 for a few years now, and the dirt never really meshed with what I wanted to use it for, so I literally only used pedal dirt....:cry:

Now that I have a REALLY nice boutique class A circuit amp in my Galaxie, I use amp dirt predominantly... the clean and dirty channel on this thing are just plain sick awesome. :lol:

Archived