Danelectro Blue Paisley Overdrive

• Members

From what I've seen in ebay descriptions, the Blue Paisley Pure Drive and Black Paisley Liquid Metal were only released in the UK. They come up on ebay sometimes (the Black Paisley more often than the Blue) and usually go for $50 - $65.

Because everyone knows how much Brits love all things paisley...:rolleyes:

• Members

i've had both. blue is a pretty nice overdrive.. supposedly tubescreamery i think :idk: it sounded pretty nice. but the bass and treble controls were a bit off.. dificult to balance out with the mids to get a transparent sound. treble is more like prescence.. it's higher up the freq range.

the black one, i wish i'd kept.. super saturated distortion into fuzz with bass like you wouldn't believe. like thunder booming through your skull. a bit fizzy on the highs like the original fab tone, but thick and juicy all the same. it has an 'octave' switch that adds some kind of detuned harmony (not an exact octave, and doesn't track amazingly well) which sounds quite immense with one-string riffs.

both are really solid, heavy, large pedals like the original Danelectros.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Yeah I played a Black Paisley once. It was great. I had dibs but I passed it on to my manager during the sam ash days.

Really huge sounds as gambit described.

Not to derail, but speaking of Dano pedals with an octave function, I had a black licorice once. Traded it to someone here.

It's a fuzz with -1 octave. Sounded amazing for metal or grind.

I'd like to know what that was a clone of.

I wish there was a Cool cat octave!

• Members

Awesome awesome pedal. One of my first overdrive pedals. You won't like it if you're getting it just because it's rare or whaevs as I think they're pretty expensive now but I was over the moon when I got it for $30 some 10 years ago now. The Blue Paisley was the lower gain out of the lot and the boost switch does a real nice TS-sound.

• Members

Yeah I played a Black Paisley once. It was great. I had dibs but I passed it on to my manager during the sam ash days.

Really huge sounds as gambit described.

Not to derail, but speaking of Dano pedals with an octave function, I had a black licorice once. Traded it to someone here.

It's a fuzz with -1 octave. Sounded amazing for metal or grind.

I'd like to know what that was a clone of.

I wish there was a Cool cat octave!

It also sounds nuts on a synth.

• Members

Awesome awesome pedal. One of my first overdrive pedals. You won't like it if you're getting it just because it's rare or whaevs as I think they're pretty expensive now but I was over the moon when I got it for $30 some 10 years ago now. The Blue Paisley was the lower gain out of the lot and the boost switch does a real nice TS-sound.

yeah, I got a Blue Paisley for $20 or $30 from GC online last year. I really liked it, and I don't usually go for TS type pedals. But I thought it was really a nice full sound, and it sounded great pushing other distortions. Alas, I succumbed to resale value temptations and sold it for a tidy sum. I still kind of miss it though.

• Members

i've had both. blue is a pretty nice overdrive.. supposedly tubescreamery i think
:idk:
it sounded pretty nice. but the bass and treble controls were a bit off.. dificult to balance out with the mids to get a transparent sound. treble is more like prescence.. it's higher up the freq range.

you're basically describing a rehoused Daddy-O, at least that's what it translates like to me at least.

did it sound kind of boxy and hollow?

i kinda like the Daddy-O for the price, but it pushes wierd frequencies.

• Members

possibly. if it cleans up well with the volume knob (i don't remember if it does or not) it will probably do the trick.

i could try it, but i don't have it at home at the moment.

i thought the same thing about the Fab Tone, which is a shame 'cause if it had been tuned right it would be an amazing distortion.

Archived