OT: A political thread for those on the other side of the pond...

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think this country is particularly good at any sort of coalition, be it a council or a sports team. Mr Bain mentions Germany accepting coalitions. Given their history, including the time they were led by a ruthless idiot who typified exclusionist politics, you can understand why Germany might favour coalitions rather than excluding smaller groups. You can also say this applies to their national football side, infamous for not being a collective of superstars but always playing with a strong work and team ethic. In Britain, we like the outsider isolated feeling. Perhaps Nick Clegg was onto something back in 2002 when he talked about our post-war attitude. You could call the rise of the BNP and the EDL as being representative of this attitude, a sort of 'Great Escape' theme tune backed 'We're fighting alone again, lads, against the foreigners' attitude. I don't see a collective identity running through this country whereas I did see it in Canada, despite Toronto being so immigrant-heavy in terms of numbers. I saw people there proud of where they'd come from and proud of where they were.

This is some insightful analysis here. Props :thu:. I guess the fact that they were happy with a Christian Democratic/Social Democrat coalition in 2005 says it all, really... I can't imagine the British equivalents managing that.

• Members

^^^ What the hell was that all about (the fight), can you put it in context?

btw, I have absolutely no idea about politics in the UK.

Group of racist thugs trying to be taken seriously as a political party meet kids from an ethinic minority background that aren't scared of them. He winds them up, then shows his true colours like a champion.

The BNP are 'The British National Party' - they've had a bit of a rise in support recently as immigration's been an issue brought up a lot in this election. Their party political braodcast is true comedy.

• Members

what's the BNP guy saying at the start? 'how many of us are robbers?' :idk:

i'd like to see more of that video to know what led up to it, and what happened after. that would be far more telling than what was actually shown i think.

• Members
what's the BNP guy saying at the start? 'how many of us are robbers?'
:idk:

i'd like to see more of that video to know what led up to it, and what happened after. that would be far more telling than what was actually shown i think.

I was wondering that.

I think it's - 'how many of you use rubbers?'

• Members

I was wondering that.

I think it's - 'how many of you use rubbers?'

Been trawling some of the anti-BNP sites this morning and it appears he was saying ""how many of you'se are robbers?". To me, it sounds like 'How many is there of us?'.

Bailey is hysterically funny.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23819349-racist-london-bnp-chief-threatened-with-suspension.do

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2008/04/25/barking_angrybnp_feature.shtml

http://torytroll.blogspot.com/2009/06/bnp-candidate-warns-of-severe.html

His paranoia reached its zenith when he accused a councillor of authoring a blog, the Tory Troll, when the blog author was quite open about his identity.

http://torytroll.blogspot.com/2008/12/exposed.html

• Members

I've voted... :)
.... I'm not a supporter of violence, but I think when it comes to people like the BNP you have to make a stand .... if they want a fight, they'll {censored}ing get one. :evil:

• Members
..meet the new boss..

so does anything major change for you?

Well the Tories planned on cutting 12billion pounds in the civil service in its first year so I assume I have to worry about my job... :idk:

• Members

I hope to God something interesting happens tommorow. Either Lib Dems win, there's a hung parliment or Iceland explodes killing us all, or I get laid or something. Hopefully all of the above and not in that order.

Sorry that was random. Maybe I'm on voting high. I voted the {censored} out of those ballot boxes. :rawk:

• Members

I hope to God something interesting happens tommorow. Either Lib Dems win, there's a hung parliment or Iceland explodes killing us all, or I get laid or something. Hopefully all of the above and not in that order.

Sorry that was random. Maybe I'm on voting high. I voted the {censored} out of those ballot boxes.
:rawk:

Something will happen, do you know for the Conservatives to win with a majority they need the biggest swing in the vote a party has has since WWII? Much bigger than what Labour achieved in 97. I honestly don't see it happening.

But if they don't win it will be a total disaster for them.

• Members

I haven't followed this stuff very closely. Why is this election such a huge deal?

When do you guys find out who won?

It's a big deal because it isn't clear what the result will be, it's closer than it ever has been in my lifetime. We'll know in the early hours of the morning, there is still 3 more hours of voting, then will start getting the results one by one about an hour after that. (about 11pm our time) .. that's about 4 hours time but we probably won't know much until about 2 or 3am (7 hours time)

Archived