There is no better looking Telemaster/Jazzcaster than this.

• Members

It's Fender's 'stealth' pickup idea, apparently it sounds fine although I always thought that you'd take a major hit in output from the covered pickup. It's a cool idea if you want a neck pickup but like the esquire look.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, the output was what I thought. To be honest I can see why, but personally I think it's a tad poser-ish to want a guitar with the function of 3 pickups but the appearance of only one (particularly in the case of people that use particular gear for indie cred), but I don't really care what a guitar looks like....

• Members

Fender CS are really scraping the barrel with these.

"Let's take two beautiful, classic guitars and make one ugly mutt of a guitar."

This.

If you want a tele get a tele, if you want an offset get a bloody off set...

• Members

:freak:
That looks crappy. Either or. Also, in before Anderer.

I like what I like :idk:

I have a telecaster. I want an offset. I love the sound of a telecaster bridge, and the jazzmaster neck, so whatever. And the one I'm building is a split so I get to make a copyish of omar rodriguez lopez's guitar which I really like.

Fender doing "stealth" pickups isn't a new idea - they've done it occasionally (since the 60s) before - for example, the ultra rare Fender Marauder prototypes: fender_marauder.jpg

I'm about to put a "stealth" pickup into my Telecaster. Since it has a "bathtub" route (it was a Nashville Tele body), there's room under the guard for just about anything, and since I have a spare 80s era Seymour Duncan Hot Strat Stack, I figured "why not?" I'll put it under the guard, and hook it up to a push / pull switch on the volume control - that way, I can still get all the standard Tele pup settings via the normal 3 way switch, and kick the extra pickup in or out at will... :idea: And since it measures at about 20k, I figure it will be plenty hot enough to balance out with the other two pickups (which are in the 12-13k range) even though it will be further away from the strings and under the plastic pickguard.

As far as being "under" plastic, there's two things - performance and looks. As I said, the bigger issue isn't the plastic between the pickup and the strings - after all, Mustang pickups are fully covered in plastic and work fine... it's the distance from the strings... but again, if the pickup is hot enough, that shouldn't be too big of a problem. As far as looks, call me shallow, but I really do not care for the look of "Nashville" Telecasters with that third pickup in between the two "normal" pickups, so yeah, looks DO matter to me... :o:D

• Members

I like what I like
:idk:

I have a telecaster. I want an offset. I love the sound of a telecaster bridge, and the jazzmaster neck, so whatever. And the one I'm building is a split so I get to make a copyish of omar rodriguez lopez's guitar which I really like.

Exactly. Tele neck pickups never did much for me, while Jazzmaster neck pickups always sounded amazing. Also, I could never bond with JM bridge pups, but Tele bridge pups are super versatile, and can be used for pretty much any style. It gives you the best of both worlds to combine a Jazzmaster and a Telecaster. Granted, they can be a bit ugly, but so are Teles.

• Members

This thread reminds me that I need to go to Make'n Music next time I'm home though. I've always loved that store, and I haven't been there in like two years now. I'd love to see how all of their Telemasters compare to mine. Also, last time I looked they still had a 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva in stock. :love:

• Members

if you like it then I like it.

except I don't.
:lol:

different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't have picked it, but its not too bad.

Some days I love it, some days I don't. :lol:

Only thing is, I can't think of another color pickguard that works better with that guitar. Everything is either way too tame for it, or just as out there as the blue.

Archived