Strymon Tape Echo :-O

odewire

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ehhhhhhh. Timeline really has it's own thing going on.

Yeah its got more features and stuff - reverse, presets, looper, modulation. The folks at Strymon were DC right, or helped with the Timeline? From the Demos of the EL C, the delay reminds me of the Timeline but more versatile. I had the TL and liked it but it was too big and almost too warm.

I'm referring to the tape sounds.

• Members

Yeah its got more features and stuff - reverse, presets, looper, modulation. The folks at Strymon were DC right, or helped with the Timeline? From the Demos of the EL C, the delay reminds me of the Timeline but more versatile. I had the TL and liked it but it was too big and almost too warm.

I'm referring to the tape sounds.

I dunno. The Timeline didn't seem all that that tapey to me, I {censored}ing loved it, but the El C sounds quite different to me.

Different perceptions, I suppose.

• Members

pretty impressive. sounds excellent, features (while difficult with the switching) seem usable. i agree with the LFLJ killer comments--seems like that in spades.

not really gassing hard for it though for some reason. i've got enough killer delays: moog, echolution, m9, echorec, korg stage echo, headrush, pds 20/20. i really had my hopes up when he went to the "multi-head" mode that it was going to be a Binson replacement...stopped one head short, why? why? why?

• Members

i really had my hopes up when he went to the "multi-head" mode that it was going to be a Binson replacement...stopped one head short, why? why? why?

Binson Echorec? that wasn't even a tape echo (it used a magnetic disc/drum), how is it "one head short"?

• Members

the dual tape stuff is cool; doesn't the ad999 do that?

Don't think so... the AD999 sounds nice and warm, and has an awesome build quality, but it really is one of the most overpriced delay pedals on the market IMO. Sure, the Diamond ML2 is $600, but it's got a crapload of features and 2 presets w/ built-in modulation. I just don't see how the AD999 is a very efficient option considering the price.

• Members

^ the latest ad999 has a toggle on it for, i believe, dual mode. haven't seen any demos or reviews on it though.

edit: i guess it's the ad999 pro.

from the maxon site...

The AD999 Pro features a new “Multi-Head” mode that is operated via three top-mounted mini switches. In Multi-Head Mode, midstream delay signals (which are taken from the middle of the BBD delay circuit) are added to the normal delay signal to emulate the sound of Tape Echo multi-head operation. These feedback loops can then be selected by the user in a variety of combinations to create complex multi-tap delay repeats and rhythmic delay effects such as triplet- and sixteenth-note rhythms against the main delay repeat. The Multi-Head mode can also create a striking Tape Echo simulation, or it can be used to create ambient effects such as large room and concert hall reverberation.

• Members
^ the latest ad999 has a toggle on it for, i believe, dual mode. haven't seen any demos or reviews on it though.

edit: i guess it's the ad999 pro.

from the maxon site...

The AD999 Pro features a new “Multi-Head” mode that is operated via three top-mounted mini switches. In Multi-Head Mode, midstream delay signals (which are taken from the middle of the BBD delay circuit) are added to the normal delay signal to emulate the sound of Tape Echo multi-head operation. These feedback loops can then be selected by the user in a variety of combinations to create complex multi-tap delay repeats and rhythmic delay effects such as triplet- and sixteenth-note rhythms against the main delay repeat. The Multi-Head mode can also create a striking Tape Echo simulation, or it can be used to create ambient effects such as large room and concert hall reverberation.

That's pretty cool I guess... but still not worth the bones. :idk:

Thanks for the info though... gives me something to check out.

• Members

Binson Echorec? that wasn't even a tape echo (it used a magnetic disc/drum), how is it "one head short"?

the echorec uses 4 (minimum--some models had 6,8, and 10) playback heads. actually the strymon is 2 heads short, not 1 as i said before.

Archived