Strymon Tape Echo :-O

odewire

• Members

It sounds good in the vid because the guy knows how to use a looper properly. Rather than the sort of {censored} that most people use loopers for. Not really anything special. The modulation of the loops is nice, but it's not exactly usable.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dunno, I'm basing this entirely on youtube videos of the two pedals, but the sound on sound mode seems like it can capture the warped, lo fi thing that the LFLJ does, and do even more. I guess what I'm saying is El Capistan seems like it can make all the sounds I'd ever want from a LFLJ plus a {censored} ton more.

I totally get where SAL is coming from with the flavor of the week comment, and I usually agree with Robo's point that if you're paying for a digital modeler like this, why not pay for one that models more than just one effect. But damn, this thing looks awesome. Every conceivable factor I would ever want to control on a delay, sweet sounding repeats, multi head modes, AND the playback controls for the looper. {censored}.

Yes dude.

The whole analog/digital line fades day after day. I don't want an old, analog, bulky, can't fit on my board unit. I want something that I can take with me that can get as close as possible to capturing the analog/tape sounds I like. If this can do it, then sweet.

If this thing cost what the Echoczar does, then it would be a different story. $300 is a lot to drop on a pedal, at least for me, but if it's got the sounds, then sweet.

Doesn't SAL have a Goatkeeper?

• Members
Fatso has got it.

This thing can do basically what the Lofi does and more for what Lofi costs, or is a Lofi more? I'm not trying to {censored} on Zvex, just saying that this pedal can do a lot or deliver what some people want.

I dont care if you {censored} on Zvex, I dont own any zvex stock :idk:

There is nothing in that video, that sounds like that sweet LFLJ vibrato.

If I hear something else that convinces me otherwise, I would snatch it up in a second.

Until then....meh.

• Members
Fatso has got it.

This thing can do basically what the Lofi does and more for what Lofi costs, or is a Lofi more? I'm not trying to {censored} on Zvex, just saying that this pedal can do a lot or deliver what some people want.

Yes dude.

The whole analog/digital line fades day after day. I don't want an old, analog, bulky, can't fit on my board unit. I want something that I can take with me that can get as close as possible to capturing the analog/tape sounds I like. If this can do it, then sweet.

If this thing cost what the Echoczar does, then it would be a different story. $300 is a lot to drop on a pedal, at least for me, but if it's got the sounds, then sweet.

Doesn't SAL have a Goatkeeper?

I've never been able to find that much of a use for a looper in a live setting... :idk:... there's maybe a couple songs that our band plays (out of like 50) that I even use one for. In other words, while the looper is fantastic, it's not the biggest draw for me.

What IS the biggest draw for me is the warmth and authenticity of it's sound and all of the tweakable features. The ability to basically have 2 presets is just fantastic as well... Sounds genuinely like a tape echo, and while it's obviously not perfect, it's pretty dang close, and when running into an amp that's mic'd and into a PA and out those speakers... well... you won't be able to tell whether it's a real tape echo. The most anyone will hear is just a nice warbly sound... which is why I think the El Capistan could be perfect. It can get real gritty and dirty and you don't have to deal with the hassle of an actual tape echo unit.

The Echoczar sounds really cool and is totally unique with a buttload of tweakable features... but there's no way I'll ever spend that much on a delay unit... ($725.00 :eek:)...

• Members
I've never been able to find that much of a use for a looper in a live setting...
:idk:
... there's maybe a couple songs that our band plays (out of like 50) that I even use one for. In other words, while the looper is fantastic, it's not the biggest draw for me.

What IS the biggest draw for me is the warmth and authenticity of it's sound and all of the tweakable features. The ability to basically have 2 presets is just fantastic as well... Sounds genuinely like a tape echo, and while it's obviously not perfect, it's pretty dang close, and when running into an amp that's mic'd and into a PA and out those speakers... well... you won't be able to tell whether it's a real tape echo. The most anyone will hear is just a nice warbly sound... which is why I think the El Capistan
could
be perfect. It can get real gritty and dirty and you don't have to deal with the hassle of an actual tape echo unit.

The Echoczar sounds really cool and is totally unique with a buttload of tweakable features... but there's no way I'll ever spend that much on a delay unit... ($725.00
:eek:
)...

Right. The SOS feature isn't the coolest thing about it, its an added bonus, to me, cause I could use that. The delays seem to sound real good and what I've been wanting for a long time is a tape/analog emulating delay with a lot of tweakable options for the fidelity of the delay.

• Members

Right. The SOS feature isn't the coolest thing about it, its an added bonus, to me, cause I could use that. The delays seem to sound real good and what I've been wanting for a long time is a tape/analog emulating delay with a lot of tweakable options for the fidelity of the delay.

Exactly. It is a nice bonus that I wasn't expecting.

I'd get the El Capistan even if it didn't have that feature.

The delay itself is worth the money IMO:)

• Members

I'm not hating on the Strymon. I have said it sounds quite good, that it is a flavor of the week and that it is not groundbreaking. Just another manufacturer trying their hand at simulated tape echo.

The GK seemed like a gimmick effect especially compared to the Murf which is a more full featured sequence effect. After buying a GK of my own, and working with it for a while, I found it to be more useful the then I thought and then posted clips of it's success. Austin of Lightfoot Pabs is even going to put the synth track on his site. As I stated in the GK thread I tried an earlier model and found it underwhelming but after purchasing the new model and spending tons of time with it I find it to be a perfect complement to my Moog. That said the Murf still owns and is a far more feature laden effect for sequences.

You can try to hate but it just won't stick.

• Members

I'm not hating on the Strymon. I have said it sounds quite good, that it is a flavor of the week and that it is not groundbreaking. Just another manufacturer trying their hand at simulated tape echo.

This is true. Has a lot more features/control than the other ones currently out there though, so it might last a bit longer before the hype dies down. The features is sort of a double edged deal though. On one hand, boutweakers want control over every aspect of their sound, on the other hand, they just want something simple that sounds 'good' and already has e-cred (strymon line currently suffering from uber pre-production hype), like the Skreddy. The features right now, however, are the main thing that establish its niche, its place in the effects ocean.

• Members

It sounds great. It's just that the market is flooded with delays. I don't know the DE-7 and memory toy still sound great to me about a 1/6 of the price.

the DE-7 is nice but can't be tweaked to sound how I want. Doesn't mean I couldn't get good sounds out of it, just want more versatility.

Archived