• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Best evening I had this whole summer was the Golden Seal Ballantines - no ice, just pure whiskey, a Leonard Cohen record and a book of poetry by Bukowski.

This is actually one of the standard ways to enjoy nearly any whiskey. Whiskey neat+ Cohen+ Buk= Win.

• Members
this tonight

1497.gif
it was my recent birthday gift from the girl friend.

other wise it's makers or jim beam if i am on a budget.

Hope you like the taste of burning :thu: It honestly has some charcoal/burnt something flavor. It is also quite medicinal. I bought a bottle of it a while back. Its quite good and I liked having it around when I wanted a diferent flavor of scotch. At the same time I had a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. The 18 is great, very floral and a bit sweet. The QR is probably my favorite scotch I've had so far. It has this dark chocolate and nutty flavor that I really enjoy.

• Members

Islay malts have an odd taste to me, not bad but different from other malts. Medicinal is a good way to describe them, in addition to being rather smoky. I had no idea the Glenmorangie had renamed their line, but the sherry and port aged stuff was always excellent.

EDIT: Jim Beam is pretty freaking good, without regard for price. WHen scored on sale, it is absolutely fantastic.

• Members

i actually need to check out/experience a Scotch/Irish whiskey/top-shelf Bourbon. IMO most common mass-market bourbons like Beam, Wild Turkey, Evan Williams et alia are just way too harsh & overbearing for my tastes. and the 'Fitzgerald' bourbons are just way too expensive. Makers has always been a middle-ground for me in that regard & i just stuck w/ that.

• Members

I didn't really like the JD I tried on New Year.

Again, it depends.

When I really wanted to get trashed, we bought a big bottle of WHite Horse, some Red Bull and beer - lots of fun and somebody extinguished their cigarette on the palm of my hand.

Asked my granddad, he said the best whiskey he's tried was 18-year old Chivas Regal. But he's not a big whiskey fan.