My First BYOC Build - Tone Bender MKII

clund

• Members

So... I have interest in building my own amp some day, but decided to start by building my own pedal. Ordered a Tone Bender Clone from "Build Your Own Clone" website and just finished it last night...

Started out with Paint and Ink Jet water sticker paper:

IMG_0212.jpg

Built the PCB:

IMG_0215.jpg

Mounted the PCB in the painted case:

IMG_0226.jpg

Wired it and added the battery:

IMG_0235.jpg

And here is the finished product:

IMG_0243.jpg

Plugged it in to my crappy practice amp last night and man - this thing is DIRTY!!! If you want an Idea of what it sounds like - listen to Led Zeppelin - Communication Breakdown or Queens of the Stone Age - Better Living Through Chemistry. FILTHY FUZZ!

Can't wait to try it out on my H&K Trilogy - but that amp is at my drummers house.

What do you think? Comments?

• Members

I plan on ordering some better knobs... the ones that came with the kit are pretty lame. And yes, this is my first build - and thanks for the props on my solder skills. Only soldering I have done before is Guitar Pickup swaps and re-wires.

• Members

Quality work! The 'Bender is one of the toughest fuzzes to get right, IMHO (I've owned a bunch of clones and they all vary in sound WIDELY from each other). To do as good of a job as you did on a first pedal and to (it sounds like anyway) like the sound is commendable. :thu:

• Members

i did one too and it sounds excellent

set the as high as possible without getting to nasal octavey

did the mods they recommended fyi

Fuzzio -- Did you mean set the BIAS as high as possible? And I have looked at their site, and don't see any Recommended Mods - You have a link?

• Members

I made one of those a while back. I wired the bias adjuster to a pot- very useful for getting a range of sounds from the pedal.

The older version of the kit had an extra solder pad for bypassing the first transistor and getting a Fuzzface type sound from it, so I hooked that up too. Sounds pretty bad. Could never work out whether I'd done something wrong, but I liked the Tonebender side well enough not to worry too much about it.

• Members

Looks great. How long did it take you? And have you done much soldering before?

First time doing REAL soldering - I have modded a few guitars, swapped pickups and stuff, but that is about my total soldering history.

It took about 8 hours in total work time, over about 2 weeks. The sanding, painting, decals and clear coat was probably the hardest part. The instructions are VERY easy to follow and the PCB layout is awesome. I looked at other pedal kits and the BYOC kits are probably the best laid out plans out there.

• Members

Looks nice!

My first pedal build was a BYOC Tonebender, too, but mine is from the early point-to-point days. They certainly have come a long way. I ended up adding an external bias pot to mine, and I think I switched out the output resistor to get a bit more volume...which certainly wasn't necessary, but I couldn't stop myself.

They are dirty mother {censored}ers, though. It's my favorite fuzz. Sounds massive through the 15 inch speaker in my Univox.

Archived