Dudes I can not get motivated

Operator

• Members

I posted a thing a while ago about being uninspired and unable to write new {censored}. Some people suggested taking a break from trying too hard, which I did. I don't know though, nothing has changed. I pick up the guitar or sit down at the keyboard and I can't bring myself to play for very long; nothing sounds good. I've only written two finished songs in 2010, both of which were commissioned.

Have I totally lost it? My life is kind of hitting a perceived dead end, so part of me thinks that it may just be depression, if that's not TMI, but writing music makes me feel so much better and fulfilled, so I'd like to get back to doing it.

Sorry for the CSB but I'm at my wit's end. I feel like I need to rewire my whole brain.

• Members

Buy a book called "The Artists Way" and do the program - it's 12 weeks and I guarantee it will get you back in gear. You do one chapter a week and it takes some discipline to stick to it (you might check Craig's List to see if there are any groups around you doing it - that's how I did it and it helped to have other people doing it with you and meeting once a week to talk), but it completely resets your brain and turns on your creative juices. Highly, highly recommend this.

• Members
I posted a thing a while ago about being uninspired and unable to write new {censored}. Some people suggested taking a break from trying too hard, which I did. I don't know though, nothing has changed. I pick up the guitar or sit down at the keyboard and I can't bring myself to play for very long; nothing sounds good. I've only written two finished songs in 2010, both of which were commissioned.

Have I totally lost it? My life is kind of hitting a perceived dead end, so part of me thinks that it may just be depression, if that's not TMI, but writing music makes me feel so much better and fulfilled, so I'd like to get back to doing it.

Sorry for the CSB but I'm at my wit's end. I feel like I need to rewire my whole brain.

So...

I dunno if you're sober steve or whatever... but my band just starting writing new material and I thought, man I'm tapped out. I have no more creativity left and there is no point to showing up to practice.

Then I started bringing Arrogant Bastard Ale to practice instead of Coors Light... I would chug a bottle and get really loose. All of a sudden I was being creative.

I'm not saying you need drugs or alcohol, but I dunno what it was... just walking into band practice with a bit of a buzz was all it took to get some creativity flowing again.

If you don't drink {censored}ing go for a run. Or go cliff jumping. Or dodge a train. Something to get a shift in your body's balance. Worked for me.

Good luck! :thu:

• Members

don't do it if it's not enjoyable.

i haven't done anything concrete in a while--like finished an album or played a show. but i still enjoy the {censored} out of playing.

there are times when i get down on myself thinking i should really be focusing on finishing an album or getting some shows lined up. but i do music for "me" now anyway--i don't do it for other people to notice or enjoy. at this point i just want to get a band together just to jam with and have fun playing.

• Members

don't do it if it's not enjoyable.

i haven't done anything concrete in a while--like finished an album or played a show. but i still enjoy the {censored} out of playing.

there are times when i get down on myself thinking i should really be focusing on finishing an album or getting some shows lined up. but i do music for "me" now anyway--i don't do it for other people to notice or enjoy. at this point i just want to get a band together just to jam with and have fun playing.

you should get in contact with evilsoup; i think he's in your area, and he's looking for someone to collab with; he has a nice voice too.

• Members

go on a trip, or vacation or something? Just get out of your surroundings, go see some live music or get a new hobby to pour your attention into. I get into guitar ruts when I focus to much attention into it. So if I put my focus into something else - (golf, home improvement projects, fishing, sports) I'll want to play again.

• Members

In periods such as the one you're going through, I usually stay away from my guitars. Like, put the pedals on the shelf and the guitars in their cases and basically "quit" without quitting.

It helps to rebuild the musical energy. If you don't feel like playing, don't play. I've never had any creative sparks or positive vibes when trying to force a new riff or song idea.

Do this and the sauce will flow again once you've built up your reserves.

Archived