We Love Strats

mr benn

• Members

This is the thread were we bring the Strat love back :phil:

Today was a happy new modded Strat day for me

fitted my '97 CIJ '62 re-issue with some Bareknuckle trilogy pickups today

added a tort guard and graphtech saddles too....

it's well battered and it needs to be set up (my plan for tomorrow's day off) and the frets need some attention but even still it plays beautifully and these pickups sounds awesome :thu:

5069326900_80c68e0c05_b.jpg'62 stratocaster by mechanicalapple, on Flickr

5068715095_f39d75fbcd_b.jpg'62 stratocaster by mechanicalapple, on Flickr

5068713293_cc74a809a6_b.jpg'62 stratocaster by mechanicalapple, on Flickr

So...let's see those Strat! :phil:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

cheers SM,though the pup covers look very yellow in my shots

i'll take some natural light ones tomorrow :phil:

what strat you got?

aussy,I think you have a good point,I avoided Strats for years because most players gigging locally using them were dreadful

it's still kind of the stereotypical "wedding band" guitar

• Members

I love stats. Love teles too, but find strats a bit more versatile and maybe slightly more usable. Both great, kinda like chocolate - you know you love it, and there are a ton of great varieties to choose from, all delicious, all good.

I have a Road Worn strat, and it's great. One of best guitars I've had to stay in tune, pickups sound nice on it, the worn neck is a delight to play, everything about it I like.

• Members

Incongruousness on HCEF:

People on average seem to really like David Gilmour.

People on average seem to really dislike Stratocasters.

Does not compute. Does not make sense. Does not make me a happy panda.
:(

This is what I'm saying Phil, when I say I don't trust people who don't like strats. So many great records were recorded with strats, yet so much hate for the humble strat. Strat hate = disingenuous hipster

• Members

I have a Road Worn strat, and it's great. One of best guitars I've had to stay in tune, pickups sound nice on it, the worn neck is a delight to play, everything about it I like.

Killer. They're some of the better playing Strats that Fender is putting out today sub $1000. MIM or not, I really like the feel of them. The pickups are a little trashy, but that's an easy fix.

• Members

English Phil,that strat's a beauty! what bridge pickup is that? is it a US model?

Thanks man, I love this thing! It's a Mex Classic Player 50's - totally stock except for the black pickguard and the bridge HB. It's a lovely 2 tone burst, and the wood grain is really pretty on this one. The thing I love about this guitar over and above the standard Mexi's is the 2 point trem and the custom shop pickups - it plays and sounds like a guitar that cost at least

PS I like Strats. Actually, I LOVE Strats. I have three. Quite possibly, THE best electric guitar design ever. Sooo comfortable to "wear". Such a cool range of sonic possibilities. A perfect example of "form follows function", and a design that DOES belong in BOTH the museum of modern art AND the museum of industrial design.

One of mine - 57 AVRI:

96eccc21.jpg

40706f67.jpg

4217d373.jpg

5d74ecd5.jpg

I've been thinking of putting the single ply white pickguard back on it and replacing all the hardware with gold plated versions - essentially "Mary Kaye'ing" it. :idk:

• Members

Strats are awesome. I honestly don't trust anyone who doesn't like them.

Nice strat BTW!

i like strats but can't stand the trem and dislike how the volume knob is so close to my little finger, i tend to incrementally turn the volume down with my knuckle as i'm playing :facepalm:

i used to have a Burns Marquee which is based on a strat which had a push/pull switch on the second tone knob which turned on the neck pickup so you could get 'neck+bridge' and 'all three' in addition to the usual combinations. i really liked the neck+bridge sound.

speaking of the tone knobs i can never work out which one controls which pickups, but i usually leave them on 10 anyway.

so if i ever get a strat it will have to be a hardtail and i'll mod it so it has just one tone knob and move the volume knob down and put a neck p/u switch on it. in fact, i might have me a new project :thu:

• Members

what strat you got?

aussy,I think you have a good point,I avoided Strats for years because most players gigging locally using them were dreadful

it's still kind of the stereotypical "wedding band" guitar

I have a mahogany body'd, PGM Moon strat. Moon (under the 'PGM' company) is a high end, Japanese guitar manufacturer akin to Bacchus. (edit: basically you could say its like a Japanese kline, nash, danocaster, whatever except no relicing)

But yeah, definitely wedding band guitar, but watch what happens when those old guys stop playing out. I rarely see younger players slinging a strat because of their unfortunate 'vanilla' association, but the tele image has become just as (if not more) :bor: to me. Don't get me started on offsets...

• Members

i like strats but can't stand the trem and dislike how the volume knob is so close to my little finger, i tend to incrementally turn the volume down with my knuckle as i'm playing
:facepalm:
i used to have a Burns Marquee which is based on a strat which had a push/pull switch on the second tone knob which turned on the neck pickup so you could get 'neck+bridge' and 'all three' in addition to the usual combinations. i really liked the neck+bridge sound.

speaking of the tone knobs i can never work out which one controls which pickups, but i usually leave them on 10 anyway.

so if i ever get a strat it will have to be a hardtail and i'll mod it so it has just one tone knob and move the volume knob down and put a neck p/u switch on it. in fact, i might have me a new project
:thu:

I have to admit, I've knocked the volume knob a few times on my strats, but it really isn't a problem for me.

Those Burns Marquee look really cool. Sadly, I've never got around to trying any. Not sure if they are still made or not.

The tone knob closest to the volume, is for the neck pickup and the other tone knob is for the middle pickup, in a standard strat configuration.

I personally love the strat trem and I think it contributes to the strat's unique tone, so a hardtail strat might lose something. I guess you don't know until you try it :cool:

• Members

I have to admit, I've knocked the volume knob a few times on my strats, but it really isn't a problem for me.

Those Burns Marquee look really cool. Sadly, I've never got around to trying any. Not sure if they are still made or not.

The tone knob closest to the volume, is for the neck pickup and the other tone knob is for the middle pickup, in a standard strat configuration.

I personally love the strat trem and I think it contributes to the strat's unique tone, so a hardtail strat might lose something. I guess you don't know until you try it
:cool:

yeah, it was a nice guitar but i was getting a bit bored with it. plus it was heavy as a mother{censored}er :D

i just don't think i'm a trem guy really, i don't like the way tuning one string affects the tuning on all the others :mad: especially if you snap a string - all the others go out of tune.

i've never played a bigsby or jazz/jag trem so can't dismiss all trems but it's just not something i found myself using even when i had one so i just blocked it. i can't say it affected the sound all.

Archived