Simpsons intro last night

RoboPimp

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've read "Wall and piece" too. The title alone reflects how I feel about his stuff: very obvious. He's like an artistic Jimmy Carr with a {censored}load of 1st year student politics thrown in. As witnessed here:

n516365978_104222_40951.jpg

Charlie Brooker said it right years ago:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2006/sep/22/arts.visualarts

And the rebuttal:

Ha ha!Sounds like a frustrated young man here. One that does not get much sex and much social interaction that ends in disaster. This is a personal attack on Banksy that does not actually really citicise the artwork. Typical of new-age cultural/art commissars. Banksy's work is absolute genius. Get it and get over it you moron.Charlie what? I had to look in wikipedia for an answer. The political stuff is just genius. He was one of the first people, before Roger Waters, to paint on the wall that Israel is building (maybe Charlie is too much of a moron/self-indulgent character to even know that a despicable wall is being built all around Israel). Before that, his social commentary has always been full of wit, that has been so rare. As wikipedia said that Cahrlie worked for the BBC, it should not surprise antone that he conforms nicely to what his masters want. Artists should be non-conforming, challenging us beyond what we consider as 'normal' and that is exactly what Banksy does. The criticism here is very petty (and I have to admit that I have resorted to the same level at some points here), so one could almost ignore it. Banksy has been the leading grafitti artist in Britain. Not only that, he was one of the first to break from the truly moronic YBA stuff to preoduce something original. Anyone who is half honest would acknoledge that fact before anything else. The last artistic movement that came out of Britain (the moronic YBAs) is only worth for the bin but Banksy actually changed the trend. How a nobody can criticise him, without actually really explaining (except for some trite reasons and personal attacks) is absolutely baffling. Banksy is a genius, end of story....

• Members
It also says a lot about how far the Simpsons has fallen. Once it had the balls to critique America: now it has to import a Brit to take the piss out of the show.

:confused:

It's become quite a bit more political over the past seven years. If anything, it really hasn't been before that time. The Simpsons is also pretty lame now. Whether the political interjection is the cause, I don't know.

• Members

It's probably been 6 or 7 years since I've seen a new episode of the Simpsons. Had no idea they were still being made.

This was me for a few years too... But I have caught a few new ones on Sundays and frankly they are good... Better than 90% of {censored} crammed on TV ... So par for the simpsons... Jumped the shark, I think not.

• Members
And the rebuttal:

Ha ha!Sounds like a frustrated young man here. One that does not get much sex and much social interaction that ends in disaster. This is a personal attack on Banksy that does not actually really citicise the artwork. Typical of new-age cultural/art commissars. Banksy's work is absolute genius. Get it and get over it you moron.Charlie what? I had to look in wikipedia for an answer. The political stuff is just genius. He was one of the first people, before Roger Waters, to paint on the wall that Israel is building (maybe Charlie is too much of a moron/self-indulgent character to even know that a despicable wall is being built all around Israel). Before that, his social commentary has always been full of wit, that has been so rare. As wikipedia said that Cahrlie worked for the BBC, it should not surprise antone that he conforms nicely to what his masters want. Artists should be non-conforming, challenging us beyond what we consider as 'normal' and that is exactly what Banksy does. The criticism here is very petty (and I have to admit that I have resorted to the same level at some points here), so one could almost ignore it. Banksy has been the leading grafitti artist in Britain. Not only that, he was one of the first to break from the truly moronic YBA stuff to preoduce something original. Anyone who is half honest would acknoledge that fact before anything else. The last artistic movement that came out of Britain (the moronic YBAs) is only worth for the bin but Banksy actually changed the trend. How a nobody can criticise him, without actually really explaining (except for some trite reasons and personal attacks) is absolutely baffling. Banksy is a genius, end of story....

So you're using words written by a gonk with a spelling defect as your defence of Banksy? Nice :D

1. Writing on the Israeli wall - some would say we had plenty of wall based graffiti getting attention in Europe way before Banksy. You might want to research the Berlin Wall here.

2. Banksy's actual artistic style is not unique.

3."The political stuff is just genius."...It's like a band being tagged as political artists if they call George Bush an idiot.

• Members
:confused:

It's become quite a bit more political over the past seven years. If anything, it really hasn't been before that time. The Simpsons is also pretty lame now. Whether the political interjection is the cause, I don't know.

Did the 1996 episode featuring two former Presidents pass you by? The political Simpsons commentary over the last seven years is more obvious than before. Better? No.

• Members
'Mediocre with a sharp sense of humour'... is that really a genius though as the masses pronounce? Not in my book.

What's the latin for the logical fallacy where popularity condemns something?

Hipsterdum Absurdum, maybe? :)

I have his book, it has stuff in it that makes me smirk. I went to see his exhibition in Bristol, it made me smirk, it had a few things that were cool to stare at, and it had some cool things in it designed to make people look closer at the museum that was there already. haters gonna hate.

• Members
So you're using words written by a gonk with a spelling defect as your defence of Banksy? Nice
:D

1. Writing on the Israeli wall - some would say we had plenty of wall based graffiti getting attention in Europe way before Banksy. You might want to research the Berlin Wall here.

2. Banksy's actual artistic style is not unique.

3."The political stuff is just genius."...It's like a band being tagged as political artists if they call George Bush an idiot.

No I wasn't defending, just posting the reply to keep everything in context. I could care less if you don't like him. I mean... you're just a guy on the internet!

• Members

What's the latin for the logical fallacy where popularity condemns something?

Hipsterdum Absurdum, maybe?
:)

I have his book, it has stuff in it that makes me smirk. I went to see his exhibition in Bristol, it made me smirk, it had a few things that were cool to stare at, and it had some cool things in it designed to make people look closer at the museum that was there already.
haters gonna hate.

It's nothing to do with popularity. The Flaming Lips are pretty popular and they're my favourite band. {censored}, I like the Beach Boys and they're fairly well known. I don't dislike something purely because of popularity. Case in point: McDonalds. I don't dislike them because they are popular. I dislike them because their food is horrible.

What's the Latin for 'Why people who defend Banksy seldom ever come up with a decent argument as to why'? :D

Simply, I don't think Banksy as an artist alone is particularly great nor is he particularly clever as a political commentator. Slap those two average abilities together and somehow he's the greatest living British artist.

• Members

what I really hate is that most people are challenging the accolades and opinions voiced by others,not Banksy himself

I've never heard him come out and proclaim himself as the best artist in the world today,other people have hoisted that brand on him

if you don't like the work thats fine,different strokes and all that

but don't feed him to the lions over some dodgy fanboy critics wankings about his Graffiti,I'd imagine he finds some of the stuff written about himself hilarious

Archived