Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Loobs

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nels > Jay as a technical player

Jay > Nels as a soulful player

Personally I say soul is more important than technique.

And agreed, YHF is one of the their best and certainly the last of their truly great records. IMHO

While I agree with the second part of what you said, I would like to know the mathematical equation you used to arrive at Nels Cline=not soulful. Nels really isn't that much of a technical player.

• Members

While I agree with the second part of what you said, I would like to know the mathematical equation you used to arrive at Nels Cline=not soulful. Nels really isn't that much of a technical player.

Nowhere did I say Nels Cline is not soulful. I said Jay is more soulful than Nels.

• Members
I've tried and never gotten into Wilco although it seems like something I should like.

tell me which songs will win me over.

Same here. I have YHF and liked it for a while, but it's been a few years since I've listened to it. I love Nels Cline, too. Go figure. :idk:

• Members

My first listen was a mix CD of A Ghost is Born and YHF. The 2 albums are inseperable in my mind.

Summer Teeth is excellent as well.

Anything after AGIB is a yawn.

Jay Bennett was the secret ingredient. Its sad that he committed suicide. He was troubled and brilliant.

Did he commit suicide though

• Members

I've tried and never gotten into Wilco although it seems like something I should like.

tell me which songs will win me over.

Spiders (Kidsmoke) on Ghost is Born was the first one that really grabbed me. It was a slippery slope from there.

• Members
Definitely my favourite album right now. I think this is the best stuff Tweedy ever wrote, even if just for Pot Kettle Black, Ashes of American Flags, Poor Places, and I Am Trying To Break Your Heart. Brilliant songwriting.

why do people have to make every band they like "brilliant"

:lol:

wilco is good,. brilliant? Not really. It's a folk rock band, not Beethoven.

even clever might be a stretch...

I think they had a decent formula which they beat into the ground and now it's just tired and boring.

• Members

Sorry for the misinterpretation then. Have you checked out any Nels Cline stuff outside of Wilco?

yeah i like some of the singers stuff and the improv stuff with thurston moore is cool. but i still feel he is more technique than soul. lovely guy i am sure, and no doubts he can play... but for mine, jay had more to say in far less notes. does that make sense?

• Members

excellent point. this is the main reason i don't like recommending records to ppl.

i was one of those that wasn't into Wilco or Alt-Country. but then i saw the doc & actually "listened" to YHF. it was like a complete 180. not a huge fan but i respect them immensely & admire what they accomplished w/ YHF. the Wilco loft seems so cool. Nels Cline has a killer pedalboard. et cetera.

• Members

wilco is good,. brilliant? Not really. It's a folk rock band, not Beethoven.

even clever might be a stretch...

I think they had a decent formula which they beat into the ground and now it's just tired and boring.

'folk rock'. Have you even listened to them

• Members

brilliant? Not really. It's a folk rock band, not Beethoven.

This is what I'm wondering. I mean, there are different manifestations of brilliance; I think Pink Floyd was brilliant. I think Sigur Ros is brilliant. I think Death Cab used to be brilliant. One can be brilliant because of their virtuosity, ingenuity; because of the eloquentness of their writing, the poignance of their observations, the emotions they evoke...

Why would one consider Wilco brilliant?

• Members

This is what I'm wondering. I mean, there are different manifestations of brilliance; I think Pink Floyd was brilliant. I think Sigur Ros is brilliant. I think Death Cab used to be brilliant. One can be brilliant because of their virtuosity, ingenuity; because of the eloquentness of their writing, the poignance of their observations, the emotions they evoke...

basically if you like a band it makes you feel good to see them as brilliant because then you in turn also must be brilliant for appreciating it.

Typical human ego driven existence

• Members

basically if you like a band it makes you feel good to see them as brilliant because then you in turn also must be brilliant for appreciating it.

Typical human ego driven existence

But there must be some way to determine objective brilliance. I mean, we can do it with math, I fail to believe art is exempt from any sort of objective qualification.

• Members

:facepalm:

Archived