$1.5 Million for 24 Songs

CrystalLake

• Members

This penalty is a joke, and everyone knows it. No one is paying $1.5 million here. Well maybe if she had $3 million in her checking, then yes. It is meant as a warning shot. She won't have to repay, and realistically, she can't repay it. They all know it. There could possibly be a settlement, that is much more realistic, like $1k or something even less. The RIAA is making an example of her, but they know they won't see this money.

Otherwise, this person can run over to a bankruptcy lawyer, file chapter 7 or 13, and being an unsecured debt, it will be wiped away. Unless she has really good assets worth quite a bit (and they can't take your home, cars, personal possessions) this debt will be wiped away in a month or two. Her credit might suck, but not for long, unless she has no income.

• Members
Right, this is not a "cautionary tale", it's just another example of how completely {censored}ed our system can be and how completely bat{censored} crazy the RIAA actually is.

If they think for a SECOND that this case is going to suddenly cause moms everywhere to stop downloading Nickelback, they're high off their asses.

I remember when they hit town a few years ago - they literally went to EVERY live music venue and told them if bands are playing other people's songs - they wanted their cut. We actually played some gigs WITH NO ADVERTISING in the papers because the bar owners were scared to death they'd find out. {censored}in ridiculous. Anyone who's been on the road with a band knows you don't make enough to pay these kinds of royalties. FTW :mad:

• Members
I remember when they hit town a few years ago - they literally went to EVERY live music venue and told them if bands are playing other people's songs - they wanted their cut. We actually played some gigs WITH NO ADVERTISING in the papers because the bar owners were scared to death they'd find out. {censored}in ridiculous. Anyone who's been on the road with a band knows you don't make enough to pay these kinds of royalties. FTW
:mad:

I think you meant "WTF :mad:"
FTW = for the win

• Members
I remember when they hit town a few years ago - they literally went to EVERY live music venue and told them if bands are playing other people's songs - they wanted their cut. We actually played some gigs WITH NO ADVERTISING in the papers because the bar owners were scared to death they'd find out. {censored}in ridiculous. Anyone who's been on the road with a band knows you don't make enough to pay these kinds of royalties. FTW
:mad:

Do you guys not have a law about that where the royalties come from the venue's license fees?

By which I mean, "we do!"

• Members

Wow :facepalm: Don't they have a threat of like a $250,000 fine during the FBI copyright infringement warnings prior to the start of a film? I know it's a different industry, but copyright infringement is copyright infringement. At least then it won't seem like such a joke since they're enforcing a threat of punishment that is already there. Now it comes across like they're more interested in making an example out of few to scare the rest into getting in line and not acting out, instead of properly enforcing the laws that already exist.

What's next? Being ticketed $500,000 for being pulled over for speeding? It seems a bit like tying your kid up and locking them in the basement w/o food or water for a week just because they spilled milk at the kitchen table. :cop:

God bless America!

• Members

no my rig is the {censored}ing holy grail cannot part with it. I may start selling off {censored} I don't use, there is lots of that stuff. Do you guys think the banks would come break in and take my {censored}?

Yes. That's what Bailiffs do.

• Members

Has anyone come across this type situation......?

I like a British Neo-Prog band that sells albums directly from their website. The artist publicly states that they are SO AGAINST ILLEGAL DOWNLOADING!!!!! Said, illegal downloading has robbed them of tens of thousands of dollars...and if it keeps up, they will not be able to record future albums.

Well shoooooooooooot, I'm all about helping out the smaller bands I really like. Only when I goto their website to purchase some of their albums they are not "in-stock" and you don't have the option of downloading them.....

So, I goto iTunes, Amazon, heck - even eBay, the only thing I can find is used albums on eBay that peeps have had for several years.

So THEN I look for torrents for this particular artist, and I come across quite a few albums that I could possibly download. What do you think most people are gonna do in this circumstance?!?!? They don't tour the US. Can't even see them live.....DANG!

I mean, WTF!?

• Members

who the {censored} puts gear on credit cards that they dont pay off at the end of the month.

{censored}ing stupid.

Just save and purchase it when you can. it's what i do.

And i just so happen to have a credit card where i get points and ive actually bought gear based off of those points b/c of how much trading/selling/buying i've done.

• Members
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/148/minnesota-mom-hit-with-15-million-fine-for-downloading-24-songs/

I had a friend who was taken to court while I was in college for downloading on Limewire. His settlement was $3,200 (before court costs) for 15 songs. After that moment, I refused to download anything illegally, and I canned my file-sharing program(s).

Now, I'm the person that refuses to illegally download music, movies, software, etc., but this punishment is just down-right ridiculous.

Agreed.

However, she also had an opportunity to settle for about $5000 and she fought it. I'm guessing she's as sort on brains as she is on dough. :o

• Members

However, she also had an opportunity to settle for about $5000 and she fought it. I'm guessing she's as sort on brains as she is on dough.
:o

Well it was $25,000 to be fair, but even if $25000 doesn't seem a lot with hindsight when compared to $1.5 million, if someone had tried to charge me that for downloading 24 songs I'd have told them to GTFO as well.

Eveyone just needs a young child they can blame for it. "Yeah just tell him he was naughty so we can go" ;)

• Members

After this is said and done...she could counter sue for the lawyer fees, mental

anguish, etc. Then she could write a book and make more than $1.5 million

from it all...she needs a hook tho...

Maybe 8 kids with Richard Marx?

That's the real story everyone's overlooking. God bless America.

• Members

It needs to be standardized.

Obviously they want a punitive fine on top of what was stolen.

24 songs = $24 + 50% punishment = $36 total.

That is enough for me to say... well I'd rather pay $1 for a song instead of $1.5

bahahahaha

GOD BLESS AMERICA

UNITED SNAKES.

• Members

I like a British Neo-Prog band that sells albums directly from their website. The artist publicly states that they are SO AGAINST ILLEGAL DOWNLOADING!!!!! Said, illegal downloading has robbed them of tens of thousands of dollars...and if it keeps up, they will not be able to record future albums.

Just because someone downloads something doesn't mean they would have bought it. Bands like this are dumb arse if they think they've been stolen from.

Concentrating on writing good songs... not that Nickelback needed that to make their slightly less money than they should have if people weren't stealing from the food from their mouths.

• Members

way off topic, I purchased most of my rig with credit then worked overtime and paid off the debt quickly with cash. I may file bankruptcy soon, can the banks come and take my rig even though I paid off that debt with cash? thanks...l

What's the debt you'd be filing BK over? Generally unsecured creditors can't claim any of your other assets; however, in a BK proceeding you may have to sell certain items to pay off debt. It's getting hard to fully discharge your debts in court from what I've heard from lawyers. Most likely you'll be forgiven a portion of it or the full amount will be restructured into some sort of more reasonable payment plan.

• Members

dude chill I DID pay the gear purchases off with cash, thats why I don't want the courts taking it cause i did pay cash for it. hard earned cash at that.

bit of a stretch calling it 'hard earned cash' when you should've been paying your bills with it

Archived